Fitting old style HK91 buffer housing on newer poly stock model?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fitting old style HK91 buffer housing on newer poly stock model?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Fitting old style HK91 buffer housing on newer poly stock model?

Hey, I've got a pre-ban HK91 that I picked up a well loved wood furniture kit for. Now, I went into it knowing it wouldn't be mounted for the cost of the stock alone, so I ordered a 2nd gen buffer housing and am now seeing the older buffer housing seem to require the recoil rod go through both the buffer and the "cap" section of the assembly.
    My understanding is that removing these recoil rods are a huge pain and to be done as a last resort. I know the recoil spring is held in by two rivets that have to be tapped out and replaced, but I'm not sure how the rod itself fits into the cap. Some people have said cut and weld when searching for information on this, others just say tap it in with a broken drill bit of all things. Which, uh.. That sounds fishy.
    My next thought is to cut the offending piece off the buffer housing, drill a hole for the bottom screw hole to match up since the top looks like it's lined up, and slip it in with some nuts and bolts and just drill a shallow hole in the stock to fit the back side of the bolt if needed, but I'd be worried about this negatively impacting the structure of things. I don't want to modify the original recoil assembly and want everything to be reversible like it never happened if I decide I don't like it for whatever reason.
    I've attached a picture of the housing next to the assembly so you can see where I'm talking about.
    This is my only G3 platform rifle and I've never had a problem with it that would warrant disassembly past what's needed to clean it so I'm wary to go around breaking the magic seal on things like this.
    If I'm leaving anything important out or going about this the complete wrong way, I'd be happy to know. :)

Fitting old style HK91 buffer housing on newer poly stock model?-photo_2019-03-20_21-44-16.jpg

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

That new housing isn't what you need. Wow.

Complete buffers in 4 styles are available today that are essentially drop in to plastic stocks. You might have to open up the big hole to accommodate some of them.

DG
    I fix the radar you'all try to stay under...

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

You don't need that buffer housing, its for A3 retractable stock. you need these parts with your existing back plate.

1. Qty x 1 of HK G3 BUFFER COMPLETE, https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/H...E-181p2051.htm

2. Qty x 1 of HK91/93 BUFFER MOUNTING HARDWARE SET
    https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/H...T-181p2052.htm

see HK91 stock diagram below:

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Uh, alright. Do you know which one I need and where I can find it?
    And I'm going from poly to wood. It drops into a poly stock pretty cleanly as it sits. :P
    Edit: Seainc, that's the buffer the gun shipped with stock. It does not come close to fitting the wood stock.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fitting old style HK91 buffer housing on newer poly stock model?-photo_2019-03-20_22-59-04.jpg

I think we're on slightly different pages. I already own those pieces.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

can you open the hole in wood stock to fit the buffer?
    Check RTG https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/HK91-G3-PTR91-c2.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If I'm able to find the correct "large screw" to fit them together, probably. The wood one comes with a much longer, much larger bolt compared to the poly stock. M12 for the wood, M8 for the poly. But this would leave me without the "small screws," how important they are for this situation I can't tell. I suppose I could drill and tap the stock and run a helicoil type thing, but I'd risk it cracking. And modifying the buffer housing hole would leave a pretty long oval I'd likely have to fill with epoxy of some sort.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Perhaps you have a wooden CETME stock. Get an HK stock, things will be a lot simpler.

DG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Conelrad View Post
    Perhaps you have a wooden CETME stock. Get an HK stock, things will be a lot simpler.

DG
    Copnelrad,

There is no "perhaps" about it. You are 100% correct.

Owndapwn,

The wood stock in your picture IS a CETME stock and can be made to work, but its a lot more trouble that its worth. If you want a wood stock follow Conelrad's advice and drop the coin on a HK set.

The HK wood stock will have the pin holes positioned fore and aft of the sling mount instead of up and down like your CETME stock. Just look at some of the rifles with HK stocks and you will see the difference and know what to buy.

Post some pictures of your rifle once you get the correct stock mounted. Every likes to look at wood...[no homo].

Regards,

G57

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well that's unfortunate. They were billed as genuine HK. Guess that explains the bargain pricetag.
    In that case, I'll just chisel an oval and wing it with some hardware store bolt on the original housing if its no great loss. They're in pretty poor condition, obviously sanded too far, deep scratches, improperly oiled, etc, so I chalked the price up to that, but it wasn't anything unfixable if you don't mind a bit of patina.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links