How to set up a HK 91 / G3 / PTR 91 (hk9* series) to Fire Blanks
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 21HK

Thread: How to set up a HK 91 / G3 / PTR 91 (hk9* series) to Fire Blanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

How to set up a HK 9* / G3 / PTR 9* to Fire Blanks & Best Practices

*Rifle is a converted HK11 with a binary trigger, principles are the same for all G3 style rifles.

Introduction/Why? - I have been on a mission to get a HK/PTR 91 to fire blanks for over 4 years. I may be the only person in the world that wants to do this because info is limited beyond plastic blanks. I have had a lot of lessons and have now actually had success in getting good consistent fire and I wanted to share those lessons in case some other poor sucker down the line is googling this with no luck.

Atlantic Wall Blanks - I am linking to Atlantic Wall Blanks as they have the best selection/pricing and are the most willing to trouble shot and produce loud blanks. Highly recommended, not affiliated.

Basic DAG Plastic Blanks - You can easily source Plastic DAG style blanks and a traditional G3 BFA from a lot of different places. I will link a few below but these are common blanks.
    · For this you need a German HK Blank Firing Adapter which is common and easy to find:
    G3 BLANK ADAPTER
    · This set up with the common GREEN DAG blanks is not loud, significantly quieter than a silenced 91.
    GERMAN SURPLUS 7.62 NATO BLANK
    · Green Dag ammo will not cycle rounds consistently and will melt in the chamber. Sometimes I have had these go off in an untouched rifle.
    · These are a disaster to clean, melted plastic plus powder not cycling out the front of the rifle.
    · There are Black DAG rounds that have more power and cycle the rifle better, MUCH LOUDER still these are not loud enough to require hearing protection. Also a disaster to clean:
    GERMAN SURPLUS 7.62 NATO BLANK (BLACK CASE) 1,000 RNDS
    · NOTE the Training bolt is not for use with blanks only the BLUE plastic target rounds.

How to get the rifle to fire Higher Power Brass Blanks
    · The blanks I am discussing here are 308 FULL LENGTH BLANK U.S. MILITARY M82 DUPLICATE or Lake City load.
    308 FULL LENGTH BLANK U.S. MILITARY M82 DUPLICATE.
    · To generate enough force to eject a brass round you need a lot of pressure on the muzzle and to lighten up the rollers. Every blank type requires a different BFA:
    HK HOLLYWOOD BLANK ADAPTER
    · The aperture of the BFA hole for half power rounds needs to be between .140 to .110. When test firing always start with the largest and work backward to prevent damage. Again every rifle is different. I use a .113 for the Lake City Load. Do not start here!
    · WW2 reenactors actually remove the rollers from there MG42, I do not recommend that. But as is the rifle takes too much pressure to get the rounds to eject, the solution I found that works best is to purchase a higher angle locking mechanism.
    · I am currently using a LOCKING PIECE #3, 58 DEGREE which was designed for a shorter barel, HK51.
    https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/R...EE-28p4500.htm

Other Notes / Troubleshooting - I have tried a lot of things so I will just include some notes.
    · First DO NOT use Hirtenberger Blanks, these require the muzzle to be completely blocked to get enough pressure to fire. And they are not loud, actually quieter than DAG blanks. I just saved you $200.
    · Switching out the recoil spring in the stock is not a great project and really is not worth the effort.
    · Set up a good system for ensuring you switch back regular parts before firing standard ammo. I have a blank fire bolt carrier group and I put red tape on the stock when set up for blanks. This is critical as firing a regular round with the wrong locking piece or the BFA installed could be deadly... And I don't want any HK rifles damaged!
    · If the brass is not ejecting it could also be the bolt carrier. I found that my PTR bolt carrier does not go back to a fully seated position with blanks but does with standard rounds. An old surplus bolt carrier gives me zero problems.
    · If firing blanks clean QUICKLY and REGULARLY these things gum up the rifle plastic or not. Similar to suppressed fire the gas comes back into the rifle or doesn't completely leave.
    · Follow the basic rules of firearm safety, these are dangerous at close range so always treat the rifle as it is a loaded weapon.
    Last edited by tenhunter; 04-26-2019 at 02:26 AM.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Informative post, thanks for taking the time to share your findings.
    tenhunter likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interesting.
    im also interested in hearing how that binary trigger works in that HK 11. Did you have to modify it in any way?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chipw View Post
    Interesting.
    im also interested in hearing how that binary trigger works in that HK 11. Did you have to modify it in any way?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    This is a Michaels Machines conversion so internally it is using the same bolt carrier etc (PTR91). I imagine a HK11 would work fine as the mechanism is the same for the trigger pack.
    Last edited by tenhunter; 04-18-2019 at 02:15 AM.

Sponsored Links