So how rare are the H&R T223 mags? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: So how rare are the H&R T223 mags?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Interesting bit of history.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AGG View Post
    If the rifle was manufactured by HK in Germany, then why the "H&R" markings--- part of the early exporter/importer relationship between the two (e.g., HK4), prior to SACO??? ...Tony
    Harrington & Richardson was affiliated with HK in the early 60s. HK’s newly developed .223 rifle along with H&R, selected as one of the companies to compete in the 1965 SAW Trials, seemed like a winning combination for both companies. It’s hard to say what went on behind closed doors but a similar fate happened with the T48 FAL. I believe I read that the US frowned upon an import and wanted to keep the contract domestic.
    Was it a marketing strategy to keep “ made in Germany “ off the rifle ...?

Courtisy: Full Circle
    So how rare are the H&R T223 mags?-eac8e6cc-bfdc-4e38-a2cb-f9a98f596231.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by AGG View Post
    Interesting that the T223 (20-round) magazine is shown in the HK33 (1966) manual.

Tony
    The T223 magazine is an early style HK33 magazine.
    It’s been labeled a T223 mag because all of the known pictures, at least that I’ve seen of the T223 rifle, have only had this style magazine pictured. Chronologically it would of been the only magazine available at the time the T223 rifle was petitioned for the SAW Trials, hence T223 magazine.

Its safe to say the curved .223 magazine appeared as early as 1966 since its pictured in the ‘66 manual I posted. The early style 20 round mag pictured, I assume, was still offered until HK discontinued it and stayed with the curved magazine design.
    Last edited by 21HK; 06-15-2019 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Spelling

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 21HK View Post
    Harrington & Richardson was affiliated with HK in the early 60s. HK’s newly developed .223 rifle along with H&R, selected as one of the companies to compete in the 1965 SAW Trials, seemed like a winning combination for both companies. It’s hard to say what went on behind closed doors but a similar fate happened with the T48 FAL. I believe I read that the US frowned upon an import and wanted to keep the contract domestic.
    Was it a marketing strategy to keep “ made in Germany “ off the rifle ...?

Courtisy: Full Circle

The T223 magazine is an early style HK33 magazine.
    It’s been labeled a T223 mag because all of the known pictures, at least that I’ve seen of the T223 rifle, have only had this style magazine pictured. Chronologically it would of been the only magazine available at the time the T223 rifle was pationed for the SAW Trials, hence T223 magazine.

Its safe to say the curved .223 magazine appeared as early as 1966 since its pictured in the ‘66 manual I posted. The early style 20 round mag pictured, I assume, was still offered until HK discontinued it and stayed with the curved magazine design.
    I have got to get that book!!!
    On the 40-round magazines, that makes sense--- the earliest (and only) dated magazine that I have seen was “5,56 x 45 HK 8/69” (no date on plastic follower), and named only in these Price Lists (October 1, 1976; September 1, 1977; June 1, 1978; March 1, 1979; October 1, 1979; March 1, 1980; October 1, 1980; March 1, 1981; October 1, 1981)--- not after.

Tony

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links