HK 630, 770, 940 - Cocking Lever (Charging Handle) Removal and Replacement

Thread: HK 630, 770, 940 - Cocking Lever (Charging Handle) Removal and Replacement

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default HK 630, 770, 940 - Cocking Lever (Charging Handle) Removal and Replacement

The following is a brief (albeit multiple pictures) description of how to remove and install the cocking lever (charging handle) removal and replacement.

This was done for my HK 770 and as far as I know, this will be exactly the same for the 630 and 940.

I must add that I would not have been able to do this without Green57 who helped me get a cocking lever as I could not find one in North America!!! And i am very very much appreciative to him for taking the time with communicating, bidding and purchasing the item... and then the hoops of getting it over to Canada.

As you can see, the HK 770 I bought had a homemade cocking lever, which worked surprisingly fine, but lets face it... a nice gun has to have all of the proper parts.

HK 630, 770, 940 - Cocking Lever (Charging Handle) Removal and Replacement-1.jpg

HK 630, 770, 940 - Cocking Lever (Charging Handle) Removal and Replacement-2.jpg

HK 630, 770, 940 - Cocking Lever (Charging Handle) Removal and Replacement-3.jpg

The gun does not have to be taken apart in order to do this. I did however wind up taking the gun apart because I ACCIDENTALLY fully closed the bolt with the cocking lever NOT installed. In which case, you can take off the dust cover or top (if that's actually what it is called) by unscrewing the hex bolt at the back of the receiver and lifting the cover off. You can then use a screwdriver and GENTLY twist it in between the bolt and the barrel receiver to move the bolt back. So you will see some pictures with the stock attached and others with it removed (as I wound up taking it all apart and cleaning it). I tried and tried and tried before I basically said the heck with it and took it apart.

HK 630, 770, 940 - Cocking Lever (Charging Handle) Removal and Replacement-10.jpg

As you can see in the following photo, if you turn the gun upside down, you can see the small c-clip that holds handle in. This can be removed by taking a screwdriver and GENTLY (otherwise the clip will go flying and you WILL NOT find it on a thick or colored rug) remove the clip by pushing on the ends and then once it has moved out from the pin a bit, you can pull it out the remainder.

HK 630, 770, 940 - Cocking Lever (Charging Handle) Removal and Replacement-5.jpg

HK 630, 770, 940 - Cocking Lever (Charging Handle) Removal and Replacement-10b.jpg

As I noted... Its a SMALL CLIP - DO NOT BE RAMMY AS IT WILL FLY ON YOU!!!!

HK 630, 770, 940 - Cocking Lever (Charging Handle) Removal and Replacement-7.jpg

Once the clip is removed... the pin can be pulled out of position (from the top). I was trying to get a picture of the spring orientation inside, but I am not sure that it worked.

HK 630, 770, 940 - Cocking Lever (Charging Handle) Removal and Replacement-11.jpg

The spring is a relatively small (as you would expect) but the tricky part is realizing that the hook part of the spring goes against the cam block of the charging handle (unless I installed mine in-correctly - lol).

HK 630, 770, 940 - Cocking Lever (Charging Handle) Removal and Replacement-14.jpg

As you can see, the short "hook" portion (really its just bent at a small angle to sit on the cam block better) of the spring sits against the lever.

HK 630, 770, 940 - Cocking Lever (Charging Handle) Removal and Replacement-15.jpg

I attached a picture of the old part compared to the new charging handle. Interestingly enough, I had to shave (file/grind) down the inside of the handle and make the notch cut a tiny bit deeper so that it would clear the outside of the receiver stop. Not hard to do, but take your time. The last thing you want to do is cut a tonne of material off and then the plastic is weakened and it breaks again.

HK 630, 770, 940 - Cocking Lever (Charging Handle) Removal and Replacement-16.jpg

Place the spring with the short catch spring on the bottom of the and towards the cam block as noted above and slowly slide it in. I found the I could easily slide it in, but that the spring would not want to slide all the way back in. Use a small precision screwdriver or something similar to poke into it and move the spring back into its full position.

HK 630, 770, 940 - Cocking Lever (Charging Handle) Removal and Replacement-17.jpg

HK 630, 770, 940 - Cocking Lever (Charging Handle) Removal and Replacement-18.jpg

Slide the pin back into its place and re-place the C clip back on the bottom. Making sure that it is in the groove in the bottom of the pin.

HK 630, 770, 940 - Cocking Lever (Charging Handle) Removal and Replacement-19.jpg

And you are done.

HK 630, 770, 940 - Cocking Lever (Charging Handle) Removal and Replacement-20.jpg

HK 630, 770, 940 - Cocking Lever (Charging Handle) Removal and Replacement-21.jpg

The only thing that I can say after doing this all and giving it a really good cleaning was that the slide was actually more difficult to rack once it was clean. But once its "racked" it works beautifully. I haven't had a chance to test fire groups out of it, but I know one coyote doesn't need to take a crap for about a week after after 2 shots right by him as he was running at just over 400 yards!!!! (He dropped into a creek bottom before shot #3 could be let loose!!!!)

Again, a HUGE THANK YOU to Green57 for finding and getting me the part.

I hope this helps someone out there.

Tim aka Playtimefun

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)

Tim,

Thanks for the most excellent tutorial and pictures!!!
    This post may be moved to "THE REFERENCE LIBRARY" for future viewing.

Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Playtimefun, Happy to hear that you got a replacement cocking lever. I purchased a replacement lever and cocking block and most of the small parts several years ago just to have spares for my HK 630 and 770. I bought them from an armor selling his SL7 parts on eBay. He sold several cocking levers. Probably the last in North America. I also have a new factory 770 stock, never mounted to a rifle. My 770 stock has a small crack in the grip which I repaired and didn't know if it would hold, it has. My plan is to make a thumbhole stock for the 770 like the one on my 630. I'm currently finishing a walnut stock made for another rifle. Once done I'll sell both 770 stocks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Compliment is much appreciated... Just glad to try and help out someone else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was amazed at how hard it was to find that cocking lever. Thankfully Green57 was able to help me out.

I know what you mean with the stocks. I picked up a Sako Finnwolf (lever action Sako) and when it arrived, the stock had been broken. Ironically the US Post Office sent me a cheque for $1000 US after I gave a list of people/companies saying I tried all these and none make a stock for this gun... If you can find me someone, please let me know. Ended up with a beautiful piece of tiger striped walnut on it, which looks gorgeous, but its not quite the same as the original.

I would keep the new stock if you make the thumbhole stock as it will always be sought after.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Outstanding tutorial!! I think Hk's sporting rifles are super rifles. I wish they still made parts for them. I have two 630s: one I shoot and the other I ran across at a gun show and was NIB. Hope I never have to cannibalize one to keep the other running. That cocking handle is the weak link on these rifles and you were quite fortunate to have found one. Whomever made the homemade one for your rifle did a good job, but nice to have an original part for these accurate and fun rifles. Thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have a HK 940 and am also in Canada and have had a heck of a time finding HK parts. I was able to acquire a number of them but am still missing the cocking lever as well as the cocking slide. I was wondering if you would mind putting me in contact with Green57 I would really appreciate it, been looking for a year now.

Sponsored Links