Poor Man's "Sphur G3 Stock"
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Poor Man's "Sphur G3 Stock"

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Poor Man's "Sphur G3 Stock"

Recently acquired a PTR91...it had an AR stock adapter already installed.

I was about to purchase a Spuhr stock for it but realized that Spuhr uses an AR stock assembly essentially...since I already had that on my gun...figured I would look at fixed stock options.

I came across Strike Industries Viper Fixed Stock...which looks similar to Spuhr. I used a .25" Magpul riser...now it does require some filing in the rear to slide over the Viper stock...as the body is about 1/8" wider than a CTR/MOE stock.

LOP is about 1" shorter than factory...I did not use any of the shims for the install. Very comfy.

The comb height is spot on...you can still use irons if needed without much fuss...it is about .25" lower than a Spuhr cheek weld.

I am not worried about LOP adjustment on the fly...this works great as is. If you add the base shim...you will add about .5" of LOP....

Anyways...thought I'd share if anyone is looking at a more affordable option than the Spuhr...this is on a PTR...so I am not looking to spend a ton $$$ into it...if it was a real HK...different ball game. But this works.

Poor Man's "Sphur G3 Stock"-b4fmdgc.jpg

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nice!!! looks good

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thank you. PTR91 is kind of like my AR10 replacement...so this works.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)

I like it!!!

Tony

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Nope, that is not a poor mans Spuhr.....

So; here is the story!

I have had a G3 for a long time, but really never used it as the stock totally sucks.
    So I took it out if cabinet in 2012 and felt that the loop was insane!
    About 2-3” longer than a std M16!

So i took a wooden stock and chooped it off 3” and most importantly rised cheekpiece maximal!

That worked out great and the G3 became a really nice gun!

So I made an adapter for a CTR stock and placed it as high as possible and tested with that.
    Felt nice, but i could not have the original heavy buffer that the later Swedish procurement required.

Later the Swedish tender started and they required heavy buffer and the original AR buffertube gave to long LOP.
    So we made a new stock with high cheekpiece (4 different heights) and we made our own short buffertube, our buffertube is with hollow through it and you actually mount original Hk screw there.
    Here is first 3D printed stock

Some armies like portuguese requires to be able to remove cheekpiece so on later models cheekpiece can be quicly removed.

And here is last current production on an MC51

Lastly a movie where i shoot 20 rounds.
    The trick is short LOP, high buttplate and decently high cheekpiece

https://share.icloud.com/photos/09re...f2KXELZKdlCV7g

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
    thehun and Nzfly like this.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Very nice...thank you for posting that...if I didn't already have the AR adapter in place...I'd already would have bought the Spuhr...and I'll probably end up with it at some point...

My PTR has the HK21 buffer and it shoots uber flat and nice...really like it...while I love the traditional HK look...the HK21 buffer with the AR stock adapter combo...reallllly tames down the action...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I shoot with both standard buffer and heavy and I feel zero difference.
    It’s possible you feel difference when buttplate is to low and LOP to long, but with a human sized stock no....

The main reason why I refuse to see your solution as a ”poor man’s Spuhr” is because you still have so much of the hump left.
    The hump is the reason why the made the LOP insanely long because it hits you, espesially in prone.

With my higher cheekpiece i place my cheek on the hump and cheekpiece without beeing beaten up.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Ok. Listen. I like the Spuhr...lets not turn me away as your customer by dissing my project.

Never made a claim against your stock’s capabilities. So let’s not turn this into a pissing contest. I know you have to defend your product and rightfully so, it’s a great setup.

But for me...my DIY project netted a good improvement with only having to spend $50 bucks vs $280 since I already had the AR adapter.

Already stated that I would have spent the extra $$$ if I didn’t have the adapter in place. I believe in Spuhr products.

Whether you believe my setup works for me or not...well. That is 100% up to you and your opinion. For me, the setup I have made...combined with the HK21 buffer is a smooth shooter along with a Surefire muzzle brake. I don’t get cheek blasted...the riser is slightly angled up...I can still utilize my irons if needed by choking down on the stock, in a pinch if my optic goes down.
    mew likes this.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehun View Post
    Ok. Listen. I like the Spuhr...lets not turn me away as your customer by dissing my project.

Never made a claim against your stock’s capabilities. So let’s not turn this into a pissing contest. I know you have to defend your product and rightfully so, it’s a great setup.

But for me...my DIY project netted a good improvement with only having to spend $50 bucks vs $280 since I already had the AR adapter.

Already stated that I would have spent the extra $$$ if I didn’t have the adapter in place. I believe in Spuhr products.

Whether you believe my setup works for me or not...well. That is 100% up to you and your opinion. For me, the setup I have made...combined with the HK21 buffer is a smooth shooter along with a Surefire muzzle brake. I don’t get cheek blasted...the riser is slightly angled up...I can still utilize my irons if needed by choking down on the stock, in a pinch if my optic goes down.
    Spuhr is a great stock I have one on an PTR91K, that being said it's not the only game in town. Looks like you found something that works well. How about a picture of the whole Rifle.
    HDH.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Love Spuhr stuff. I will probably get one eventually.

I'll snap some once I get my MLOK handguard and optic in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links