PSG1/SR9T grip care questions
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By sickness
  • 1 Post By wallew
  • 1 Post By 6Rstar

Thread: PSG1/SR9T grip care questions

  1. #1
    Junior Member

    Join Date : Nov 2019
    Posts : 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default PSG1/SR9T grip care questions

    What is the best way to clean and care for the walnut palmshelf grip from the PSG1 trigger group? Mine is getting pretty ratty and im worried about damaging the wood by cleaning it improperly.

  2. #2
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

    Join Date : Oct 2011
    Posts : 1,090
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Galamoth View Post
    What is the best way to clean and care for the walnut palmshelf grip from the PSG1 trigger group? Mine is getting pretty ratty and im worried about damaging the wood by cleaning it improperly.
    Never tried this on a PSG1 grip, but it works wonders for guitar fretboards. And I'm pretty sure us guitar guys are more picky about our fretboards that you will be about your PSG1 grip.

    Naphtha .. i.e. Zippo lighter fluid.

    It is gentle on typical wood finishes, will easily dissolve dirt and oils, and evaporates quickly so it doesn't expand the wood. It won't react with nylon, so a nylon bristled brush can be used to scrub into tight places, like the areas of the frets on a guitar, or the texturing on the grip.

    Probably its overkill. A nylon brush and some soap and water would likely be just as good for your purposes.
    FearlessLeader likes this.
    Own: HK91, SR9, PSG1 clone, SP5k, G36k, HK416, P30L, 2x P8, 2x P8A1, USP9, USP9 FDE
    Future: SP5 inbound

  3. #3
    mew
    mew is offline
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    mew's Avatar
    Join Date : Aug 2005
    Location : SW Florida
    Posts : 1,852
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

    Default

    Direct from the motherland; https://ballistol.com/about-us/
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
    Edmund Burke

  4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Sheepdog in West Texas

    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Location : San Angelo, Tx
    Age : 66
    Posts : 1,280
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sickness View Post
    Never tried this on a PSG1 grip, but it works wonders for guitar fretboards. And I'm pretty sure us guitar guys are more picky about our fretboards that you will be about your PSG1 grip.

    Naphtha .. i.e. Zippo lighter fluid.

    It is gentle on typical wood finishes, will easily dissolve dirt and oils, and evaporates quickly so it doesn't expand the wood. It won't react with nylon, so a nylon bristled brush can be used to scrub into tight places, like the areas of the frets on a guitar, or the texturing on the grip.

    Probably its overkill. A nylon brush and some soap and water would likely be just as good for your purposes.

    I was going to suggest using a new clean tooth brush (soft bristle). And as is said above, soap and water. Not much soap and not much water, a little at a time. Then use a CLEAN DRY cloth to remove the moisture.
    sickness likes this.
    Protect and defend against all enemies, both foreign and domestic

    A rattlesnake in the living room ends all discussion of animal rights.

    "Vengeance is mine" sayeth the Lord, but sometimes he subcontracts.

  6. #5
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

    Join Date : Oct 2011
    Posts : 1,090
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wallew View Post
    I was going to suggest using a new clean tooth brush (soft bristle). And as is said above, soap and water. Not much soap and not much water, a little at a time. Then use a CLEAN DRY cloth to remove the moisture.
    Yup. Toothbrush will work.. nylon bristles :)

  7. #6
    Very Senior Member
    6Rstar's Avatar
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    Location : south of Nashville
    Posts : 206
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    I do not own said grip.... however I am a woodworker.

    Cleaning depends on the finish. The wrong cleaner will remove the finish. For example Goof Off is great for grime, and people just assume it's harmless because they sell it at Publix, but it's actually acetone, and will eat water based finishes.

    If its an oil finish (like many military arms), which uses no solvents usually to restore to like new condition. Steel wool, a cloth, and a some finishing oil.

    Laquers, varnishes, and urethanes all have solvents that react with them. I have seen people clean their gun and then have runs down their stock.

    When in doubt us a neutral method as mentioned above. Soap and water is great. Ballistol was mentioned which I use liberally (I also love the smell, its nostalgic). You can also test a hidden area if you have one that is not seen.



    Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    mew likes this.

  8. #7
    mew
    mew is offline
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    mew's Avatar
    Join Date : Aug 2005
    Location : SW Florida
    Posts : 1,852
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 6Rstar View Post
    I do not own said grip.... however I am a woodworker. Ballistol was mentioned which I use liberally (I also love the smell, its nostalgic). You can also test a hidden area if you have one that is not seen.
    that's funny you like the smell as most don't, but I agree it has an old wood shop smell I enjoy it and as you said it won't hurt anything on your rifle.

Sponsored Links

 
 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •