MR556/416 Pistol Build Plan

Thread: MR556/416 Pistol Build Plan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default MR556/416 Pistol Build Plan

Because I have a deep seated hatred for my bank account, and an inexplicable need to spend money on things I really don't need, I've decided that I want to build a 416 pistol. I know there are differences between the MR556 and 416 uppers, and frankly I'm fine with either one. The goal of this isn't to create a clone of any particular variant. I think I read somewhere that the MR556 uppers don't play well with AR lowers, so can someone shed some light on that for me?

Also, I intend to do a binary trigger, because again, I hate money. I know one of the features of the 416 series of rifles is that they can be put on safe with the hammer not cocked, so I'm assuming I may run into some issues with a binary trigger install. Has anyone done this before?

Alternatively, tell me I'm stupid and to not spend my money.
    HK P7M8
    Sig Sauer P229 Legion with RMR
    Wilson Combat Bill Wilson Carry
    Walther PPK/S (S&W Manufacture)

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tommyh View Post
    Alternatively, tell me I'm stupid and to not spend my money.
    Not stupid. I love my 416 build. Got an over-full parts kit (complete upper, LPK, 2 stocks, and 2 sight sets) for a reasonable price, sold some extra parts I didn't need (stocks and 1 set of sights) to recoup a bit of cash.
    Figured I'd build it, shoot it a little, and sell it at a profit -- and quickly realized that she wasn't going anywhere.

Loved it so much that I've also done an MR556 pistol build out of enthusiasm. I did end up selling that though, just to make room in the safe.

I used an ordinary BCM LPK on the MR556 build and had zero issues. Spikes "No-Logo" lowers remarked with HK416 markings. With an MR556 upper, your biggest hurdle will be to get it cut down properly. Best bet there is to find a used upper that has already been cut down by a reputable smith.

If you have the means -- the 416 is worth it. It will hold resale value much better, and even appreciate if you shop smart.

As for the binary trigger -- the Fostech Echo will not work. The Franklin trigger should be good to go. In either case, you'd be better served with a Geissele MR/416 trigger.

However, I will warn you off all of the above now. You have a P7M8. To pair it with a 416 as its 5.56 playmate just will not do. Since you hate money, uou need an HK93 instead. Then get a USP, or Mark 23 to pair with a 416.
    Own: HK91, SP5k, G36k, HK416, P30L, 2x P8, P8A1, USP SD, USP9, USP9 FDE
    Future: SP5? Assuming I can find an honest seller.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sickness View Post
    I used an ordinary BCM LPK on the MR556 build and had zero issues. Spikes "No-Logo" lowers remarked with HK416 markings. With an MR556 upper, your biggest hurdle will be to get it cut down properly. Best bet there is to find a used upper that has already been cut down by a reputable smith.

However, I will warn you off all of the above now. You have a P7M8. To pair it with a 416 as its 5.56 playmate just will not do. Since you hate money, uou need an HK93 instead. Then get a USP, or Mark 23 to pair with a 416.
    So I'm guessing HK doesn't make a factory SBR upper for the MR556? I'll have to start scouring the classifieds here then.

Well at least USPs aren't that bad

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tommyh View Post
    So I'm guessing HK doesn't make a factory SBR upper for the MR556? I'll have to start scouring the classifieds here then.

Well at least USPs aren't that bad
    Correct. No factory MR556 SBR uppers from HK.

Your all-German options are to find, or have made, at cut-down MR556 upper, or spring for a 416 upper. Since you hate money, the later is your best bet.
    If, for some strange reason, you want to save some cash -- US-made clone stuff is available.

Sponsored Links