Any negatives to swapping the barrel of a SP5 to a real Navy barrel?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Any negatives to swapping the barrel of a SP5 to a real Navy barrel?

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Default Any negatives to swapping the barrel of a SP5 to a real Navy barrel?

Hi all,

Coming back to the knowledgeable crowd for another quick question. I have a KAC MP5 Navy suppressor and not a single host for it. I want a SP5 eventually after any initial "bugs" get worked out in the first year or two, but there's no point in buying one unless I can get a 1/2x32 Navy barrel on the thing. My thoughts are to pick up a SP5, send it to Michaels Machines for MP5 re-mark conversion, and while it's there have the barrel swapped to a real Navy barrel. How hard are real Navy barrels to find these days and is a barrel swap something that would have negative consequences to accuracy or function if not done properly at the H&K factory? I understand there are guys building accurate MP5s from parts kits, but I am unsure if there's a difference between building a gun from the ground up and pulling a barrel off a factory gun.

Any advice you have to offer will be welcome!

Cheers,
    - CPshooter

HK Shooting Team
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Barrel swap is no big deal when done by the correct person! There are no bugs to work out on the SP5....built on same line, by the same people making MP5s for over 50 years so I think they have it figured out!
    Indreams84 likes this.
    Heckler & Koch Shooting Team
    Heckler & Koch Certified Armorer

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bystok View Post
    Barrel swap is no big deal when done by the correct person! There are no bugs to work out on the SP5....built on same line, by the same people making MP5s for over 50 years so I think they have it figured out!
    Good to know. Thanks. Sorry, I had a feeling I would unintentionally troll someone with my "bugs" comment. I know I'm just being weird, but reports of "improper finish" and "loose paddle mag release" have me wondering if a new H&K under immense financial stress is rushing a hot product to market and possibly struggling to keep up with demand. I'm still in the planning/education phase of this project anyhow, so I'm comfortable waiting for the initial supply and demand madness to die down just to play it safe.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CPshooter View Post
    Good to know. Thanks. Sorry, I had a feeling I would unintentionally troll someone with my "bugs" comment. I know I'm just being weird, but reports of "improper finish" and "loose paddle mag release" have me wondering if a new H&K under immense financial stress is rushing a hot product to market and possibly struggling to keep up with demand. I'm still in the planning/education phase of this project anyhow, so I'm comfortable waiting for the initial supply and demand madness to die down just to play it safe.
    I have one of the first 1000 to make it here and there is no improper fit or finish whatsoever; and everything looks and feels as I would expect from HK. Seems a high-cost, low-payoff endeavor to swap a true german barrel for one to fit your KAC. Why not consider a clone?

HK Shooting Team
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Indreams84 View Post
    I have one of the first 1000 to make it here and there is no improper fit or finish whatsoever; and everything looks and feels as I would expect from HK. Seems a high-cost, low-payoff endeavor to swap a true german barrel for one to fit your KAC. Why not consider a clone?
    It is kinda funny to see people want to change a real Brand New HK threaded 3 lug MP5 barrel on a SP5 after all those years we thought we’d never see one!!! Guess it’s a good problem to have hahahah :)

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I guess OP wants to be as 'correct' as possible. I understand that.

OTOH, is there a 'correct' suppressor?
    Last edited by esh21167; 02-16-2020 at 08:36 PM.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I'd keep an eye out for the L version when it comes out and have the barrel cut down and made into navy spec. Might save some money that way.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ccosby View Post
    I'd keep an eye out for the L version when it comes out and have the barrel cut down and made into navy spec. Might save some money that way.
    He might have a better chance of seeing an “L” than us here in Virginia.

A true “original” Navy barrel will set you back a lot of coin. Yet another alternative (and cheaper than a true Navy), would be to have a modified 94 barrel (threaded three lug) installed.

https://www.gatewoodsupplyco.com/HK-...9mm_p_429.html

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Just get a thread adapter for the sp5.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Indreams84 View Post
    That's great, and I'm glad your MP5 works as it should and to your satisfaction. I really wouldn't expect anything less from a $3k firearm. I'm just not ready to buy one of the first ones. No big deal.

Perhaps you guys missed the part about already having a Knights MP5 Navy suppressor. Needs to be threaded 1/2 x 32. Period. I'm a sucker for KAC suppressors. What else can I say?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links