HKPRO Forums banner

HK93 popularity or lack there of.....

9K views 61 replies 26 participants last post by  PSG1-P7 
#1 ·
WHy was the 93 series less popular than the 94 and 91? Also why haven't there been more companies making clones of them?

#52 ·
The HK33 never got a real decades long product improvement program like the M16 series had. As a result they seem kind of etched in stone in what is very close to their original 1960's era form. The G41 was probably a regressive design, which I consider inferior to the HK33, despite the best of intentions. Lipstick on a pig, and the pig was better looking without makeup.

I think a fair comparison is a late 1960's/early 1970's M16A1 rifle with iron sights and aluminum mags. I'd take an iron sighted HK33 with it's OEM mags over that. That's my opinion. The M16A1's I have had experience with, both in the army and early on in my agency, were pretty bad.

Navy Seals used HK33's in Vietnam, at a time when Special Forces and LRRP's had assembled rifle rods taped to their CAR-15 foregrips to clear catastrophic failures, while under fire. Whatever it's faults, the HK33 is robust and tolerant of abuse.

#54 ·
"As promised, I brought her home tonight. Hopefully I can get to the range and consummate the relationship this weekend. Heavy, ergonomics that aren’t great, expensive magazines and parts... BUT 1000x sexier than any AR IMO. I have an A3 meat tenderizer stock for it and I just ordered the last 1/7 33k barrel in stock at Gatewood Supply, BUT I’m torn about it. This thing is in pristine condition for a gun manufactured in 1977"

Please don't convert the new one.

#62 ·
I have had an HK93 for several years but didn't shoot it until recently. It is a very smooth shooting and accurate rifle. Mine has a PSG-1 trigger group which is probably one of the reasons I am so accurate with it. I also have the standard trigger group but have never shot the rifle with it installed. How good is the standard trigger group?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.