SL-7 questions
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: SL-7 questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default SL-7 questions

I just discovered the SL-7 model.

Is the rifle reliable for recreation target shooting and hunting?

Does the charging handle come back during fire? Or stay put like an AR.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 348win View Post

I have a few of these rifles, in both 223 and 308. As far as accuracy is concern, at 50yds, i can get .5 inch shot groups and at 100, prolly 1 inch. There are a few information on this site regarding it. The prices varies on GB depending the condition. I personally think they are great rifles and the price is steady at $1500+. Good lucking getting the clamping montage (mount) for it, they have been price gouged lately. Below is a youtube video on the rifle. It does have a kick comparable to a 30-06 IMO. Make sure you check the buffer for condition and most importantly, being present. The charging handle "stays put." Good luck, send pictures, and do a range report.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iXQIqYPnYg&t=1372s

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cool!

Thanks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darkness View Post
    I have a few of these rifles, in both 223 and 308. As far as accuracy is concern, at 50yds, i can get .5 inch shot groups and at 100, prolly 1 inch. There are a few information on this site regarding it. The prices varies on GB depending the condition. I personally think they are great rifles and the price is steady at $1500+. Good lucking getting the clamping montage (mount) for it, they have been price gouged lately. Below is a youtube video on the rifle. It does have a kick comparable to a 30-06 IMO. Make sure you check the buffer for condition and most importantly, being present. The charging handle "stays put." Good luck, send pictures, and do a range report.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iXQIqYPnYg&t=1372s
    The mount referenced, the HK-05, runs about 350-400 without rings, and 450-550 with rings, but you can pay more for it if you try hard. There is almost always one for sale on Ebay or GunBroker. They keep the zero when detached (the HK-05 is also called a quick-detach mount).

In the video referenced above, the mount used is not the HK-05, but instead is the B-Square, which, although it has been discontinued, can still be found new and used for less than $100, usually about $50. Here's what it looks like: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1008789744 (not available there now, so this should not be a posting violation here, I hope). It probably doesn't lock down as tight into the two receiver holes as the HK-05 does, but the video above shows him shooting good groups with it installed. Mounts for the HK300 are interchangeable with the SL6, SL7, 630, 770, and 940 rifles, which is why they're so cool.

These mounts were also discussed here previously, in at least one other place: https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-long-...770-940-a.html

Oh, and also, the SL6 and SL7 innards are the same as with the 630 and 770, as I understand it, and they definitely have interchangeable magazines. I shot my SL7 2 rounds, and it kicked far worse than any 30-06! The SL models are more like an M1, to me, whereas the 630/770/940 are more like hunting rifles in style.
    Last edited by JBubba57; 05-09-2020 at 11:52 PM.
    darkness likes this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 348win View Post

Excellent rifle in general, but I wish there was some rubber recoil pad because the metal plate can slip (I put a strip of grip tape on mine to fix that).

Depends on your preference but they're perfectly handy for hunting. If you have mag restrictions for hunting they came with 3 round mags (I've got a 3 and 10 round mag).

As far as optics mounting, HK05 mount for a fair few pennies or the B-square mount as mentioned, OR there's the Contessa rail at Optics-Trade.eu that fits perfectly in place of a QR option. I've got mine paired up on ARMS #22H rings so the glass clears the rear sight.

Shooting surplus FMJ I was getting 1-2" groups at 100 yards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I recently purchased an SL7, haven't shot it yet due to the covid shutdown but I like it very much.

As for the after-market scope mounts, B-square made one but it is the weaver style and some has only three slots. Sunoptics made one in picatinny style.

Both are discontinued but from time to time one will appear on ebay or gunbroker. I bought a B-square on ebay not too long ago for less than 20 bucks, guess I was lucky.

HK 05 is great but costs a small fortune.
    Last edited by ambler1; 05-15-2020 at 06:12 PM.

Priest of the P7
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

I have one, nice novelty gun. It is probably the hardest recoiling 308 I have experienced and the metal butt plate doesn't do you any favors. The HK 05 mount is fairly limiting with respect to modern optical options because the optic can't have a left side turret for parallax, illumination, etc. I've had trouble getting much accuracy out of mine, but I have reason to suspect the previous owner may have bent the barrel slightly. It's something I need to look further into.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

As Lerch641's post and picture above show, Contessa makes a picatinny mount for the SL7/770 (should fit all other HK rifles that take the QR HK-05 mount). I just ordered one, about $110 including shipping, coming from Europe, I think, but now I can't find that link. Many US resellers (Brownells, MidwayUSA, etc. etc.) also offer them, though the in-stock availability varies. It comes as a 0 MOA, or as a 20 MOA option for those who want to shoot > 600 yards.

bastardsonofelvis complained above that the HK-05 mount can't have left-side optical options, presumably because of the vertically positioned quick-release lever, but note that 1) the mount can be reversed and the release switch can be used on the right side, if that matters, and 2) there is a variant of the HK-05 mount which has the QR lever still vertical but at the rear side of the mount, instead of the middle side of the mount, just for this very reason. They're less frequently for sale than the standard HK-05, but they are out there. Contessa also makes a quick-release version for the HK770, with horizontally positioned release lever, as opposed to the vertically positioned lever on the HK-05 mount, to help with that issue, but the price is about the same as an HK-05.
    Last edited by JBubba57; 05-16-2020 at 04:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was about to order one at optics trade after I saw Lerch641's post. Great information BTW. However I didn't pull the trigger because it says on the website it is for 770/940, w/o mentioning any other models. I think it will fit the SL7, SL6, 630, etc. but I wan't sure. I sent them this question but haven't heard back yet.

I have an HK05, and a B-square, but the picatinny rail is appealing.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ambler1 View Post
    I was about to order one at optics trade after I saw Lerch641's post. Great information BTW. However I didn't pull the trigger because it says on the website it is for 770/940, w/o mentioning any other models. I think it will fit the SL7, SL6, 630, etc. but I wan't sure. I sent them this question but haven't heard back yet.

I have an HK05, and a B-square, but the picatinny rail is appealing.
    Yes, I had the same initial thought, but I just bought a 770 so I know I can use it if there is some idiosyncrasy about it. But since the HK-05 is totally interchangeable on the HK 300, SL6, SL7, 630, 770, and 940, I see no reason why the Contessa shouldn't fit each of them, it's just a matter of physical geometry, having the base studs fit down into the two open holes on the guns' receiver tops. There is no reason why the base should be marketed for "770/940" and exclude the 630 in that sporting series, unless the European countries have hunting with .308 and 30-06 but not .223 and are just advertising it for what they perceive people are looking for.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links