Help with MP5 Extractor Problem
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Help with MP5 Extractor Problem

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Help with MP5 Extractor Problem

One of the guys from my department was running an MP5 at a recent firearms school and all of the sudden he started having 1 to 2 failures to eject per mag. I wiggled the extractor and it was pretty loose compared to the other guns. So I put a new extractor spring in and the extractor was tight again. We go to the range and he has a failure to eject within the first half of the first mag. I pull out the ol iPhone and do a slow mo video of the bolt cycling. As the bolt cycles, it pulls the brass out of the chamber, spins it 180 degrees, and then tries to shove the next round and the spent brass into the chamber at the same time. It doesn’t kick the brass out. Just spins it in the chamber. So I check the ejector and it looks good and appears to be where is should be when it should be there. I then wiggle the extractor only to find its loose again. I don’t think I hyper extended the spring when I installed it and the extractor was tight right after. I don’t claim to be an expert but I’ve installed several of them over the years and never had a problem. But somehow it because loose in the first 15 rounds. Anyone have any clue what my problem might be? I appreciate any help.
    He who walks unarmed into paradise had better be sure that is where he is.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The extractor claw is chipped or the rails it runs on are sufficiently worn to allow excessive play. Once that happens, the spring won't fix the issue; he needs a new extractor.

I'm guessing it has a pretty high round count?
    Who else thinks the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms is a convenience store?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes, I wouldn’t even have a guess at how many rounds but a lot. Is there a measurement spec on that? Can a micrometer tell me if it’s worn out or not?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The gun is malfunctioning due to poor extraction and improper pivot of the case rim against the extractor - there's no further proof you need other than that. Brownells, $36-. Done.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Don't forget another new spring if you are replacing the extractor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1. The MP5 extractor spring is designed in a way to act like a "fuse", if a case presses against it too hard, it will permanently break the spring.
    You can bend the extractor spring back but it's only a very short term fix. Consider using a grey HK rifle extractor spring next time, they do well in MP5s.

2. Test the bolt and extractor with new spring installed stripped from the gun, place a round in the bolt head removed from the carrier (once no firing pin).
    If the round falls off easilly with a bit of shaking even with a new spring, something is probably wrong with the extractor itself, check for wear.

3. Check if the ejector is worn or damaged, the ejector is on the trigger pack, see if the ridge that hits the carrier on the ejector is excessively worn low.

4. The receiver rails are rarely a wear point, but check if the bcg shakes laterally left to right excessively without the butt stock and trigger group in. If there is excessive lateral shaking then that may be an issue.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LongDuck View Post
    The gun is malfunctioning due to poor extraction and improper pivot of the case rim against the extractor - there's no further proof you need other than that. Brownells, $36-. Done.
    Like to know where you are getting an MP5 extractor for $36. Brownells is not in stock, but even if so, $57.99. Please educated if you know something different.
    Hidden Content 93A3│Hidden Content SP5│Hidden Content MP5-22│Hidden Content VP9│SAR8│PTR 9CT

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I appreciate all the help gentlemen (or ladies if there are ladies on this forum). I will update this thread with what I find out.

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

hollowpoint; Did you clean the carbon from under the extractor? That is would be my first guess if you brought that weapon into my shop and described the problem and what you had already done. You have probably looked at the extractor and did not see any chips or cracks...or you would have mentioned it. I have always told and showed my LE customers about cleaning the carbon that builds up under the extractor, how to clean it. And that the extractor spring should be a 4-5000 round time change item. I doubt that there is enough wear on the bolt head or the extractor itself to cause the problem you are describing. I have never seen that to be a problem in over 30 years of servicing MP5's.
    Not to blast VX666 but I have never seen a HK extractor spring actually break...he probably meant bent. (darn spell correcting programs) He does make a good point about examining the ejector. And his "bench" test for the extractor holding the round, I do this every time I clean and/or install an new extractor/extractor spring. I have seen on very rare occasions a fired case get turned around and end up down in the trigger group. Actually saw one once that was under the cocked hammer...never was able to figure that one out. Probably would not believe it is I had not seen it myself and that I knew the operator that it happened to! In that particular case he was NOT having any problems prior to it. Fortunately it was during a training day and not a live Op. Another example that Murphy's Law is alive and well in SWAT!!!!! And fora note, the grey or silver 5.56/7.62 extractor spring is no longer available from HK.
    Now, on the civilian side of MP5s...I see worn/broken extractors, especially at Knob Creek, where I usually sell 12+ extractors and a bunch of springs. Wear/broken from using steel case ammo!!! cheap ammo thru a $30,000 machine gun!!! Never understood that logic.
    Anyway, hopes this helps. Shoot me a PM or email to: [email protected]
    Last edited by Phil Flack; 05-26-2020 at 06:43 PM.
    Frank in GA. and veritas like this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

After replacing the extractor spring again and verifying the extractor was held firmly by the spring, we went to the range. The first 10 rounds were great and then the same malfunction happened again. I locked the bolt back and the spring was visibly bent and the extractor was loose again. Does this mean a new extractor is required?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links