PSG1 newbie here: What should I be aware of?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: PSG1 newbie here: What should I be aware of?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default PSG1 newbie here: What should I be aware of?

I finally got my ultimate bucket list gun: a PSG1.

Unfortunately, it's not a NIB one - despite a very steep price. I acquired it in Austria from a gun store. The store got 4 PSG1 from a german law enforcement auction. I was told this wasnt a public auction, just for selected stores. I was not told anymore details.

I've seen and checked all 4 rifles before choosing mine. All are well used and certainly look issued. All the cases are heavily scratched, which is a sign, that they got hurled around. 2 rifles had a D number in the 900 range, the other two in the 1200 range. I picked one of the 900s.

The date code on the receiver is IH (1987), as well as on the 5 and one 20 round magazine. The second 20 round magazine is an IG (1986). All 4 rifles had 2 20 round and one 5 round magazine, sling, tool set, the tripod, some improvised cleaning cable, case keys. The front scope cover of all rifles was ripped off. No manuals.

Mine has an improvised insert for 10 .308 bullets. the case is marked for an officer that has the initials F.M. The tripod is also marked "MAT."

One 20 round magazine, the 5 round magazine, the knob of the palm rest and the sling swivel on the stock had a slight rust film, that I cleaned away with gun oil. The overall condition of the receiver is surprisingly good. the biggest wear in the finish is on the forward assist. The same wear was on the other 3 rifles as well.

There are some minor scratches on the barrel, some big ones on the tripod. The finish of the scope has the most damages. There also were some slight rests of glue - maybe from a ballistic table? The reticle of the scope is still sharp. The battery of the Hensoldt scope is empty. There are use marks on the UIT rail of the handguard.

The insert are pretty clean for a service rifle. I was still well oiled too. No grease.

As I mentioned before, its not a NIB rifle as I originally hoped for. But this one seems to have history. Guess that counts for something? ;) I haven't had a chance to fire it yet. Is there anything I should be aware of, expect for the cocking tube gap? Any tips that prevent a catastrophic failure and/or disappointment are welcome :D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PSG1 newbie here: What should I be aware of?-20200711_152612.jpg   PSG1 newbie here: What should I be aware of?-20200711_154940.jpg   PSG1 newbie here: What should I be aware of?-20200711_153717.jpg   PSG1 newbie here: What should I be aware of?-20200711_154956.jpg   PSG1 newbie here: What should I be aware of?-20200711_163513.jpg  

PSG1 newbie here: What should I be aware of?-20200711_163518.jpg   PSG1 newbie here: What should I be aware of?-20200712_130605.jpg   PSG1 newbie here: What should I be aware of?-20200711_154927.jpg   PSG1 newbie here: What should I be aware of?-20200711_153548.jpg   PSG1 newbie here: What should I be aware of?-20200711_152623.jpg  

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Very nice, it would have been interesting to have seen the before pictures of the as acquired condition before it was cleaned up.
    Good luck on getting the scope battery.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Very Nice! I'm sure you will be happy with it!

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Congratulations! The PSG1 is definitely high up on my bucket list as well. The more I see pictures of one the more I want it. I'm happy to be on AU's pre-order list for when they import a shipment of NOS PSG1s.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

From what I understand, it's an extremely robust design. Can't imagine you'll see any failures, let alone catastrophic failures. Hope you get a chance to take it to the gun range soon. If you do, show us more photos and photos of whatever groups she can shoot!

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scaar View Post
    I finally got my ultimate bucket list gun: a PSG1.
    Congratulations on a very nice acquisition!!!
    If not too much trouble, can you post a picture of the side opposite of the "HK" (Picture 1)?

Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Update: Just got an email back from HK. The rifle was made in November 1987 and sold to Italy. No further details. The gun store clarified, that the broker was in Germany, not the auction. It could be very well one of those NOCS PSG1s, that somehow show up in the states too.

Also, thanks to this forum, I found the correct batteries for the scope. Its the very very dim green reticle illumination, like most other PSG owners seem to have.

Quote Originally Posted by AGG View Post
    Congratulations on a very nice acquisition!!!
    If not too much trouble, can you post a picture of the side opposite of the "HK" (Picture 1)?

Tony
    Of course Tony, here you go: Its blank. When you ask like that, it usually means you know something :D Care to share? I'd love to know more about potential origins, whereabouts, information on production, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PSG1 newbie here: What should I be aware of?-20200713_201712.jpg  

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)

Of course Tony, here you go: Its blank. When you ask like that, it usually means you know something :D Care to share? I'd love to know more about potential origins, whereabouts, information on production, etc.
    Thanks for the picture--- I should have been clearer--- on the other side of the tripod!!!
    I just keep data on HK firearms (SN's, markings, countries of location, etc.).

Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AGG View Post
    Thanks for the picture--- I should have been clearer--- on the other side of the tripod!!!
    I just keep data on HK firearms (SN's, markings, countries of location, etc.).

Tony
    But that side is blank too ;) The serial number on this tripod is on the bottom, I took a photo of it for you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PSG1 newbie here: What should I be aware of?-20200714_181444.jpg   PSG1 newbie here: What should I be aware of?-20200714_181458.jpg  

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)

But that side is blank too ;) The serial number on this tripod is on the bottom, I took a photo of it for you
    Thank you very much for the additional pictures!!!

Tony

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links