Why didnít all the G3 / HK9x series rifles the enhanced heavy buffers?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By werra
  • 1 Post By gulfstategaurd
  • 1 Post By tmbrwulf
  • 1 Post By mg42

Thread: Why didnít all the G3 / HK9x series rifles the enhanced heavy buffers?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Why didnít all the G3 / HK9x series rifles the enhanced heavy buffers?

Seems like all G3 and HK91 rifles should have had the heavy recoil buffer. Any reason why they didnít? Cost? Reliability?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Hello,

They weren't particularly on the menu for government contracts. An extreme example/analogy is "Why don't all AR15 patterns use a JP Silent Capture Spring?"

It simply wasn't the appetite for customers to use them since the original buffers have been used for (what was then) 20+ years.

When HK designed them, they also had to deal with the fact that they must sell them, not include them free of charge.

How convenient would it have been for commercial 91s to have come with them, though? I wish PTR would have done the same.

Slav

PS: These buffers are also a bit wider than standard ones. If HK wanted to sell the early units, they would have had to retroactively modify much of the A2 stocks issued. Not ideal.
    Last edited by Roller Slav; 08-03-2020 at 07:41 PM. Reason: thoughts and opinions im a snowflak
    Ballistics Engineer

Disciple of Edward Stecke, Polish godfather of the MG42 and all things roller. Swiss Patent CH176978A, 1934. State Armament Factories, Warsaw.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roller Slav View Post
    Hello,

They weren't particularly on the menu for government contracts. An extreme example/analogy is "Why don't all AR15 patterns use a JP Silent Capture Spring?"

It simply wasn't the appetite for customers to use them since the original buffers have been used for (what was then) 20+ years.

When HK designed them, they also had to deal with the fact that they must sell them, not include them free of charge.

How convenient would it have been for commercial 91s to have come with them, though? I wish PTR would have done the same.

Slav

PS: These buffers are also a bit wider than standard ones. If HK wanted to sell the early units, they would have had to retroactively modify much of the A2 stocks issued. Not ideal.
    Thanks for your reply! I see your point about HK not adding the heavy buffers after the fact. Makes sense. But, I wonder why they didn’t design the rifle with them in the first place? Perhaps it was just a later, improved design?
    Roller Slav likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werra View Post
    Thanks for your reply! I see your point about HK not adding the heavy buffers after the fact. Makes sense. But, I wonder why they didn’t design the rifle with them in the first place? Perhaps it was just a later, improved design?
    I would contend that you are correct. They seem to have come a little later down the road. I've seen evidence of their use in the 70s.

Interestingly, the G3SG/1s were issued with them, one of the few G3 patterns with the device from factory.

It's apparent they reserved these for special use.
    Also, I am fairly certain Ghilliebear was instrumental in the enhanced new production units we see today.

Slav

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Not all SG1 recieved the heavier buffers. Also people percieve recoil differently based on their experiences shooting, their size, ammo, and if the rifle is in spec. Myself and most of my shooting freinds to include my children do not consider the recoil on the G3 to be an issue. I have upgraded the buttpad and the MSG90 buffer but really didnt notice a difference. On the G3k I swapped it to a A3 stock from a 21 pad and PCS buffer and didnt notice a change in felt recoil. For me the upgrades were to get back on target quicker and make sure my kids could enjoy them.
    Roller Slav likes this.

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree with Gulf. Back when these were early to the field, the 30-06 and 8mm had been standard for a long time (previous generation). I've been shooting the 308 / HK91 since my arm was as long as the stock and it took two hands to pull the trigger. The Hk's are more of a push instead of a snap in the recoil. I guess its all whats relative to our baseline knowledge / experience. I used to have an old HK21 stock with a heavy buffer in it. It trimmed a little recoil off but it was not an overwhelming difference. I could see the use and development later especially with benefit to the belt feds.
    Roller Slav likes this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Add that buffer and a 2Ē shorter length of pull stock with the HK21 butt plate and ďVoila!Ē

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Buy once, cry once; or not. Let's be honest for a second; most of you will be zombies one day and I'd much prefer you be zombies with crap weaponry."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chui View Post
    Add that buffer and a 2” shorter length of pull stock with the HK21 butt plate and “Voila!”

I didn't know they made a shorter stock that will accept the HK21 butt plate. Where do I find one?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werra View Post
    I didn't know they made a shorter stock that will accept the HK21 butt plate. Where do I find one?
    I donít think it was shorter.

Itís the HK21 buttstock.

Oh.... the GSG-1 stock is the stock. I wish they existed before I sold my Ď91.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Actually, the first iteration of heavy buffers on a large scale appeared in the 1960s in the Swedish AK4 AFAIK. Because the Swedes were used to the milder recoil of the 6.5x55 cartridge and wanted something similar out of their AK4.
    And a substantial number of those AK4s were made by HK, the rest under license in Sweden.
    werra likes this.

Sponsored Links