HK G3 OD and Tropical Colors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: HK G3 OD and Tropical Colors

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default HK G3 OD and Tropical Colors

Anyone know the history or reason for the different green colors on the G3? Inquiring minds want to know!
    Thanks

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Usually those things are customer specs on contracts. Iran and Saudi had the brown furniture. Many times they are trying to make the firearms lower profile in a tactical environment. In a desert environment like Saudi Arabia and Iraq you could see a vehicle 10 km out or more. If it was approaching you it might take 15 minutes for it to get close enough to identify what type vehicle it is. Difficult to be "camouflaged" but it helps trick the eye so the long profile of a big black rifle doesnt immediately catch your eye. (Wet helmets gave away a lot of GIs in the Pacific theater in WW2, the shape of the helmet with the sheen gave them away)That helps you get closer to contact before being identified as threat, or lowers chance of them identifying you quickly as they enter your AO. The tropical color was meant as a selling point for jungle like environments where many of the leaves can have that darker green and get a sheen from moisture or the type of leaf. The double and triple canopy jungles of sections of Panama meant most contact was going to be close range and everyone wants that extra edge hoping it will help. Its also the reason special ops people love rattlecanning their firearms.HK G3 OD and Tropical Colors-20200307_191519.jpg it lets them more closely match their specific environments. Regular soldiers are not given that freedom, uniformity, fear of soldiers damaging their weapons, etc. (Our Airborne battalion had shiny m16a1s from them scrubbing the "Carbon" off, fortunately when the M16A2 were issued the tired shiny ones went away)

Just some thoughts on it.
    werra, omega21, 21HK and 1 others like this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thanks for the reply! I understand the camouflage aspect. What I was looking for was specifics on which countries, units, etc used the jungle color or OD etc. Did the German army use both colors? Or only export rifles? Did the Bundeswehr change colors when operating in different environments?

That is an interesting photo! Can you tell me more about it?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I saw a lot of the green G3's in El Salvador. Various military road blocks you would have to snake/zig-zag through while driving on major highways and mountain roads. Never had any problems with the soldiers, but they were a minor annoyance getting place to place.
    werra likes this.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Their airborne guys (that I saw) were carrying FNCs with folding stocks. I had permission to get some pics of them for a fellow who was doing a book. At this point I do not know where they got to.
    The regular soldiers and police in the area I was were mostly carrying M16a1s and Colt commandos. Was driving down the main highway in the area on a Saturday and they were out in force, every mile a pair standing in the median and every 2 miles a Army truck in a parking lot with a full squad ready to respond. Had same experience. Freinds that I was with said prior years they would regularly stop vehicles and do through shakedowns.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Werra, That is a U.S. marked MP5-N reciever after gov't demill. I took a little time pushing it back to actually resemble a MP5 again.
    werra likes this.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

It's for camoflage plain and simple the worst thing to carry is a black rifle its sticks out like a sore thumb even the barrel can give you away in the USMC in the jungle training we used burlap in different colors of the jungle on the barrel and stocks back in the early 1990s only in the field garrison you couldn't do that.
    werra likes this.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Did you do Jungle training at Ft Sherman?

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

No Okinowa NTA Camp Gonzales then did J.E.S.T in the Phillipines when we graduated they gave us USMC tiger stripe covers still have mine today next to my certificate. I have to say we were never ever authorized to rattle can our rifles painting our own weapons got you NJP my room mate had to go out back of the barracks and get digged for painting his magazines for inspection that's how serious it could get. I also remember you couldn't wear a boonie hat unless you were in the field and you had to have face paint on it was stupid back then it really was.
    Last edited by 31STMEUSOC; 08-16-2020 at 06:08 AM.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

When I crossed trained with the Green berets at Bragg I was impressed they had 14.5 pencil barrel carbine A1 style in old school woodland camo I thought they were the bomb my squad leader said Leg not on your life!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links