Anything other than perhaps too hot a load cause this shell case pattern- 9mm MP5 ?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anything other than perhaps too hot a load cause this shell case pattern- 9mm MP5 ?

Supporting Vendor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Default Anything other than perhaps too hot a load cause this shell case pattern- 9mm MP5 ?

This is old nasty brass that I've shot and reloaded a gazillion times BUT I havent changed my powder load. Unfortunately I dont know which of my 9mm HKs did this to these cases as I had bunches of HK 9mms out shooting that day and only noticed this after I got home and unrolled the mat to sort out the brass. All guns shot fine. MP5, MP5k, clones, factory guns, with cans, w/o out, MP 5 SD, the works. A minority of the spent cases look like this leading me to believe that its ONE of the guns doing it and not just the reloads.

You can feel those marking from the flutes.

Comments appreciated.

Anything other than perhaps too hot a load cause this shell case pattern- 9mm MP5 ?-img_1265.jpgAnything other than perhaps too hot a load cause this shell case pattern- 9mm MP5 ?-img_1266.jpgAnything other than perhaps too hot a load cause this shell case pattern- 9mm MP5 ?-img_1267.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Chamber flutes. Absolutely normal. Aids in extraction.
    Common sense isn't so common anymore...

Supporting Vendor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I don't believe these are normal. These are palpable grooves in the brass whereas for the last 15 yrs of shooting it's been only superficial grime streaks left by the flutes. Something has changed - brass, load, one guns flutes. Something. These things are heavily indented.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you used that brass for a gazillion times its most likely weak brass. Can you take a picture of the primer, that is your first clue of overloading. Doc
    In Memory Of All The Heroes Who Died Just Doing What They Do! 09/11/2001
    I AM LOOKING FOR THIS 69 CAMARO IN THE AVATAR. (REWARD IF FOUND DOC)

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've never seen a 9mm roller lock actually leave true flute marks like that. Oily, carbon flute lines, sure...but not pressed in marks. Those flutes look "wider" than factory HK flutes also, which makes me think that is from a clone barrel.

I agree with snake too on inspecting the primers...if it is overpressure it should show up there.

Kevin

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll go out on a limb and say it was a German SP89 host gun shooting a load with Titegroup. I believe I have seen the same result with a friends gun & his reloads.
    Some of the German SP89's I've played with seem to have a short throat and are not very forgiving when it comes to certain bullet profiles and loads. So do you have such a combo?
    Last edited by Clicker; 01-20-2015 at 12:39 PM. Reason: spellun'

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looking at picture # 3 it might be overloading primer really looks deformed and weak casing. You might want to look at the bolts to see if you have a broken roller plate or oblong rollers, check the trunion for burs also. Doc

Supporting Vendor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clicker View Post
    I'll go out on a limb and say it was a German SP89 host gun shooting a load with Titegroup. I believe I have seen the same result with a friends gun & his reloads.
    Some of the German SP89's I've played with seem to have a short throat and are not very forgiving when it comes to certain bullet profiles and loads. So do you have such a combo?
    Dang you guys are good....Yes I did have a SP89 out there that day....but with an RCM barrel.
    And yes...Titegroup used as powder. I cant remember the load off the top of my head...115gr RN, plated .maybe 4.3gr titegroup. I'd have to check. The weird thing is not all the brass is like that and I havent changed my powder load or powder in forever leading me to believe it was maybe one batch of ammo that got mixed in with my "main batch" and/or its one particular host doing this.

I'll shoot a pic of the primer and next time Im out at the range I'll try to isolate the gun assuming it wasnt just a small batch of ammo that got mixed in....which is def. possible.

Supporting Vendor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Doc View Post
    Looking at picture # 3 it might be overloading primer really looks deformed and weak casing. You might want to look at the bolts to see if you have a broken roller plate or oblong rollers, check the trunion for burs also. Doc
    thanks doc. will do. the plates are fine as no rollers fell out of the bolts during cleaning. I'll inspect the rest when I can. The problem is I had about 5 9mm hosts out that day so I'll have to examine them all. Minor concern.

thanks guys.

Supporting Vendor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

primer pics ...

Anything other than perhaps too hot a load cause this shell case pattern- 9mm MP5 ?-img_1291.jpgAnything other than perhaps too hot a load cause this shell case pattern- 9mm MP5 ?-img_1292.jpgAnything other than perhaps too hot a load cause this shell case pattern- 9mm MP5 ?-img_1294.jpgAnything other than perhaps too hot a load cause this shell case pattern- 9mm MP5 ?-img_1295.jpg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links