Sear vs DLO? Information sought - Page 7
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Sear vs DLO? Information sought

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Machineguntony View Post
    Neo, did Tim use factory HK boxes for his registered trigger boxes?
    No he used semi frames that he modified

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yammx125 View Post
    +1. I had one those, and it was definitely built from what was originally a semi-auto frame.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

DLO & LS trigger frames look exactly the same to me, in structure. The only variations that I can discern are the shelf cut, manufacturer's serials/markings, and the parkerization.

The differences between DLO & LS frames are as follows...

DLO:
    DLO serials + 'DLO ST CT' marking are always in some random no rhyme or reason location. Sometimes you can have both markings on same side of the frame, opposite sides, I've even seen DLO serials erased by a drill to correct what I assume must have been a typo just to remark right over the flawed area. I've also seen the serials truncated by the selector axle hole where half a digit was left to be completed with your imagination. I have pics of another DLO frame that has both the D of DLO and the and the last letter (or is that supposed to be a digit?) of the serial are also partially missing in space due to haphazard positioning. In fact, the very 1st DLO frame that I considered purchasing, I was told that the markings were too close to the hole that was to be enlarged and the markings would be further removed post modification.

The DLO shelf cuts also vary drastically and the lines of the cut are often imperfect, as in not straight lines, as if they were done by hand and in haste. Then there's the rust. I'm not a fan of rust when it comes to machine guns, and there have been too many DLO frames to have rust spots on the surface and within the frame to be comfortable with. I'm assuming this had to do with how Doug stored these over the decades before unloading them, obviously in a non-climate controlled environment with unsafe humidity levels. A solution from one owner has been to send his off to be sand blasted and reparkerized, but I still don't like the idea of any degree of rust damage for a component in this price range. I suppose none of this really matters all that much if you never intend on doing the SEF to ambi mod, and your frame is going to remain hidden inside your pack most of the time never to be seen anyways. In my case, all of this matters very much, which made going the LaFrance route a no brainier.

LS:
    In contrast, of all the engraved LS frames I've come across, the LS logo and serials have always been in same font, format & size, on the same side of the frame, and in the exact same location. All of which have been safe candidates for the SEF to ambi mod according to Michael's Machines, as in no risk of obfuscation/truncation of the LS logo or serials due to the enlarged selector holes or new holes. The SEF shelf cut is also exactly the same consistency across the frames I've seen and appear as factory perfect straight lines except at the 90 degree turn, which has been rounded (also to factory spec perfection in appearance). Also, none of the LS frames appeared to have any signs of rusting, though I did see far more DLO frames than LS frames, and any of these are susceptible to rust.

P.S.: It would be easier if I just posted all the pics I have, but none of these DLO frames are mine, the serials are sensitive (confidentiality), and I don't want to post pics of my LS purchases that are still pending form 3 approvals, but any owner can confirm what I'm saying.
    Last edited by Neo-Geo; 04-25-2016 at 06:28 AM.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content . Hidden Content 7/14/2016.
    Check cleared 7/18/2016. Approved 6/16/2017. Stamps delivered 7/6/2017.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

While DLO markings have varied, I have several of his packs that are consistently marked well away from the selector hole and the shelf cuts are very uniform, looking like he simply hit them with the enormous old Bridgeport he has to make the cut. I have seen his shop and can't imagine he would need or want to hand cut anything. He did parkerize the packs so they are susceptible to rust if not kept oiled. As delivered to me (and others I have seen) they have been totally free of rust...and I have kept them that way. I don't doubt you have seen what you have seen, but I suspect there is more to the story on ones that have rust or irregular cuts. Finally, only God and Doug know what he really has squirreled away. He worked on a lot of different guns and has some AMAZING things in his inventory, and often multiples. I have tried a hundred different was to get some HK pack numbers out of him but the mystery just grows. He is a very smart businessman.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

@GPSIG: I want to thank you publicly for all of the early help you gave me when I was starting out with HK NFA stuff. I asked some most noobish questions and you gave me some of the longest/detailed PM explanations I have on file. Its help like this that makes us want to pay the help forward when it comes our turn. Yes, Doug made some brilliant business decisions. Waiting as long as he did to unload his transferables was an oracle of Omaha Warren Buffet style move.

Instead of sharing pics from my local drive, here are some already publicly posted on the net by someone other than myself.

DLO with rust both outside and inside of frame (serials must be on back of frame):

Now with different font, notice the change in the S and the addition of punctuation (or is that S upside down?! lol, ya, that's exactly what happened. Hope that mistake didn't happen too often with the serials, that could be confusing in a bad way). Then notice the wild shelf cut variation from DLO to DLO (this time with serials on the front, perhaps too close to the ambi axle hole to be an ideal mod candidate):

I only had a small sample pool to base my decisions on relative to the overall production, so for all I know, perhaps only 1/10 DLO frames are rust encrusted. While some DLO markings will be poorly placed, odds are that some will be very well placed.
    Last edited by Neo-Geo; 04-25-2016 at 10:19 AM.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Is that rust in the picture? It looks more like braze or silver solder to me which wouldn't take park.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neo-Geo View Post
    Yes, Doug made some brilliant business decisions. Waiting as long as he did to unload his transferables was an oracle of Omaha Warren Buffet style move.
    I bought mine direct from Doug and after talking with him, Curtis Higgins S&H, Tim La France several people that knew Bill Flemming all on numerous occasions my thoughts are luck/knowledge/being at the right place/right time *** in history as with a lot of the Pre 86 Manufactures Pioneers had a lot more to do with it than being brilliant business men because after all the Sears and Packs were made, for years they were available to anyone for just a few hundred dollars hardly Warren Buffet Esque. As many of the old timers can attest too back in the beginning 86, 87, 88 you could buy a Complete Converted MP5 for just a little more than the Transferable Sear back then most everybody didn't see the need for/or the versatility of the Registered Sear. I think they all thought/hoped the demand would take off a lot sooner than it did. I do believe Doug had the vision to only release a few of his packs each year as he saw the demand slowly take off instead of cashing out like a lot of the manufactures did. As far as production numbers I find it odd that the author of this article didnt even mention the HK Packs DLO Manufacturing Production Numbers

*** (S&H,Qualified,Flemming Sears all made same geographical area of Oklahoma hardly a coincidence)***
    HK HK HK HK HK HK HK .. U.S.A Hidden Content

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yammx125 View Post
    Interesting I did not know this so this actually makes the DLO's the closest to the real thing, I always thought La France packs were made out of full auto packs same as DLO's..........

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mt162 View Post
    Is that rust in the picture? It looks more like braze or silver solder to me which wouldn't take park.
    Yes that's what it is all my German packs have it that are rust free.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mt162 View Post
    No Rust on mine

Attachment 41847

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links