Sear vs DLO? Information sought - Page 9
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Sear vs DLO? Information sought

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

So, help me to understand this. Since the LaFrance frame is a registered semi frame, can it not accept a factory catch without additional modification? If that is the case, how is it much different than a registered sear? I realize the DLO would accept all factory parts due to it being a FA frame from the start. Just trying to understand. Thanks.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Default Sear vs DLO? Information sought

At the 1:19 mark in this video they show the difference in the locations of the forward pin (technically axle) in a semi and F/A pack. I don't know much about LaFrance's implementation or conversion of the semi pack, but unless he added material and moved the axle location you can't use a factory auto sear (or "catch"). The design of a factory semi pack has material removed to make use of a factory F/A sear impossible. You can very clearly see the difference in the front axle locations in the comparison pic posted by Neo-Geo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=draULjy5JuI&sns=em
    Last edited by GPSIG; 05-02-2016 at 04:08 PM.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GPSIG View Post
    but unless he added material and moved the axle location you can't use a factory auto sear (or "catch").
    Lets hope whoever is adding material is actually adding it and not just remarking/cutting a full auto box as I understand that would be illegal without approval from ATF. I always assumed the La France box was similar to DLO in that they were cut from Full Auto Box not a Semi Conversion. Having spoke to Tim several times he did tell me most of his stuff was made for Hollywood wonder if anyone has any provenance on any La France conversions with well know Actors now that would be cool........
    HK HK HK HK HK HK HK .. U.S.A Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caf82313 View Post
    Lets hope whoever is adding material is actually adding it and not just remarking/cutting a full auto box as I understand that would be illegal without approval from ATF. I always assumed the La France box was similar to DLO in that they were cut from Full Auto Box not a Semi Conversion. Having spoke to Tim several times he did tell me most of his stuff was made for Hollywood wonder if anyone has any provenance on any La France conversions with well know Actors now that would be cool........
    My understanding is that dan shea has some intel as he bought and sold most all of srembridge guns . Shea also has a friend of his thats too busy to look through the documents to match each sn#. Also ive been told the prop house guys didn't keep real good records as to what actor / movie per gun. I have a lafrance pack and a 93 that allegedly came from stembridge mine had red paint on the trigger gaurd? Anyone know why?

Anyways one could weld up the box to factory specs if so desired.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Interesting Yammx, mine didn't come with any red paint... just set up for blank use.
    It was HK94 converted to MP5 spec by LaFrance w/ his pack... typical LaFrance awesomeness.

Quote Originally Posted by yammx125 View Post
    My understanding is that dan shea has some intel as he bought and sold most all of srembridge guns . Shea also has a friend of his thats too busy to look through the documents to match each sn#. Also ive been told the prop house guys didn't keep real good records as to what actor / movie per gun. I have a lafrance pack and a 93 that allegedly came from stembridge mine had red paint on the trigger gaurd? Anyone know why?

Anyways one could weld up the box to factory specs if so desired.
    Last edited by coolhand; 05-02-2016 at 10:53 PM.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes cool, i remember your gun. Mine wasn't blanked im wondering if mine was painted red because it was a live gun.
    Last edited by yammx125; 05-02-2016 at 10:48 PM.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Oh... that makes sense!

Quote Originally Posted by yammx125 View Post
    Yes cool, i remember your gun. Mine wasn't blanked im wondering if mine was painted red because it was a live gun.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neo-Geo View Post
    Its already been accepted that you can revert a converted ambi DLO frame back to SEF (I assume by welding metal onto the frame), so perhaps a similar process is used for the LaFrance SEF to ambi mod. Rather, I know its possible because one of my LaFrance packs already received this professional modification from Terry Dryer (its now in 4-pos ambi w/ 2-rnd burst), and the hole/pin layout/locations appear identical to what a FA HK spec pack should be. I believe that this ambi LaFrance frame was also refinished and reparkerized by Terry Dyer, for it appears pristine/perfect and the serials + LS logo are now the same color of the parkerization instead of shiny engravings (a result of removing the layer of parkerization). If it wasn't for this proven example, then I wouldn't have purchased two additional LaFrance frames.

I'm curious because I've always heard that LaFrance registered packs indeed have a proprietary conversion sear/catch. Is this correct? If so, when a LaFrance SEF pack is converted to an ambi/4-position lower.....what happens to that proprietary conversion sear?

IMO, if the conversion sear is preserved/maintained in that conversion process....cool beans. If not, then I'd say you've got a potential problem.
    Browning, Maxim, Vickers
    Belt-Fed & Water-Cooled
    Real Machineguns

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jjrphs View Post
    I'm curious because I've always heard that LaFrance registered packs indeed have a proprietary conversion sear/catch. Is this correct? If so, when a LaFrance SEF pack is converted to an ambi/4-position lower.....what happens to that proprietary conversion sear?

IMO, if the conversion sear is preserved/maintained in that conversion process....cool beans. If not, then I'd say you've got a potential problem.
    So did La France use the same type of Sear as a Fleming Qualified and S&H sear yet he registered the frame? I would think you could not weld material on to a La France Pack an take it back to factory specs as that would leave a machine gun (sear) plus manufacturing a new one what am I missing?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I am still wondering the same thing. I understand the value/workings of a registered DLO FA frame that uses all factory internal replacement parts and the same for a registered sear. But, if the LaFrance uses a proprietary sear, the factory FA internals would not be acceptable unless additional mods were performed. Is this correct or am I missing something, as well? If this is true, would the DLO hold more value/flexibility than a LaFrance registered frame?

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links