Closed a deal on an HK53
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Closed a deal on an HK53

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Closed a deal on an HK53

I need to send payment for this MG. With this noted, the seller is MGK Manufacturing in OR. I looked up his FFL on EZCHECK, it expires in two weeks. Also, the website indicates "out of business." Anyone know about this 07FFL? Has plenty of great feedback on GB.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)

Did you try calling the owner?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I plan to call today. With this noted, I want to check around the forums and see if this fellow is ok. If he is having issues and about to let license expire, I doubt he would tell me that, right?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Phone number is disconnected.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I think if you buy it from a dealer, you are pretty safe. but can also check with the ATF on Monday about any problems with his license. The ATF will come down on him in a bad way if he scams you. just my .02. good luck with the deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Wayback Machine (aka internet time machine) shows that the website changed to "is no longer in business" some time in 2014. The website capture in May 2014 looks like they were in business, but the capture in December 2014 says they're shut down. The first record of the site in the wayback machine is in 2002. That doesn't mean the guy wasn't in business for 40 years before that, it just means he either didn't have a website until then, or the wayback machine didn't find him until then.

If the license is expiring in 2 weeks, the last time it was renewed would have been in 2013. Since they shut down some time in 2014, it seems reasonable that they're just running out the clock on this license and it probably won't get renewed. This guy's probably just cleaning out the last of his inventory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think that is a plausible explanation. I suppose that if the From 3 is generated prior to expiration of type 07, it will be ok.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know Martin Laetsch of MGK and have had dealings with him in the past. Never had any issues, he was good. I'm guessing he has given up his FFL and decided to pursue other angles. Since his FFL was held as an LLC and his shop wasn't his home its a good chance that his shop phone is gone though he is still around.

Frank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You know a lot about his business classification, etc. Must be pretty close.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What you care about for the Form 3 is the SOT. Even if the FFL is still valid, if SOT is lapsed then it has to go on a tax paid Form 4. He'd have to do 3 to 5 xfers in 2016 for the SOT to pay for itself. Good luck, I hope you don't have to wait it out in the F4 line just to get it to a dealer in your state.

Fun fact - If you're transferring a sear the SOT rule still applies, but the FFL doesn't matter. If you're buying a sear that's installed in a host then the FFL does matter. An HK sear, registered pack, or an AR DIAS is a "machinegun" under the NFA and GCA, but it's not a "firearm" under the GCA so you don't have to have an FFL to deal in them. If you wanted to start a business where you were ONLY buying/selling pre-1986 transferrable HK sears, registered trigger packs, and AR DIASs you could do it without an FFL. You wouldn't have to do a bound book or 4473s either, as long as you're ONLY dealing in sears. You would still have to pay the SOT, and it probably wouldn't be easy, because I'm sure the lack of an FFL number on the SOT form would cause confusion.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links