HKPRO Forums banner

HK93 > 53 SBR process

5K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Raf456 
#1 ·
I've decided to move along with a 93>53 conversion project, and I remember this being discussed before but I was hoping to get clarification on the SBR process again as I recall this being a bit different. I want to have it remarked HK53 as well.

Can I send the rifle off for the conversion and in the meantime submit a form 1 with the model being listed as HK53. Then wait for approval, notify builder of the approval and have him send it back to me in parts and I assemble as a SBR?

or do I have to...

Send the rifle off for conversion, builder submits form 2 and builds into SBR, form 3 it to my dealer when complete. Go to dealer and fill out form 4 and wait.

Option 1 seems like it would be a lot quicker if possible, but maybe not possible to do it that way? Thanks.

#2 ·
I went the second route with a 93 to 53 conversion. I'm still waiting to get the converted HK53 back from the builder on a Form 3 to my dealer and then have to send the Form 4 and wait MORE. Even though it will take considerably longer this way, I thought it was important for the purposes of value to have the hallmark of the builder on the rifle rather than my trust or personal information.

I cannot speak to option 1 being possible or not.

#6 ·
I have been in this same dilemma and was highly recommended to not submit SBR application until AFTER the rifle is remarked "HK53." You are telling the ATF what the gun's markings are and if they are not actually those when you submit, this can potentially be an issue. I try to steer completely clear of all potential issues when it comes to NFA.

#9 ·
Thanks for the different perspectives. Yeah I don't quite fancy having my trust name on my form 1 SBR's either, even though I intend to keep them, but I agree it's nice to know that the value hasn't been diminished by having your name on there. I'll ponder this a bit more but I think I know which way I'm leaning now.

#11 ·
I have not totally made up my mind yet, but on my short list right now is Mike Otte, TPM, and TSC though I've not spoken with him yet. I don't think I could go wrong with any of them though, but I was leaning towards Mike since he'll be finishing up my 23E soon and thought I'd have some continuity with my builds. Though that doesn't REALLY matter, but it's just another reason to help decide :)

#12 ·
Same three builders on my list.

I've been wanting to do a '53 for a long, long time and finally have the right HK93 rifle (I kept buying them and they were too nice, now I have a "donor" quality rifle with the right markings) and the right '53 parts kit.

Jumpies makes a good point about builder pedigree and having it Form-4'd instead of me Form-1'ing it.

#22 ·
I've been wanting to do a '53 for a long, long time and finally have the right HK93 rifle (I kept buying them and they were too nice, now I have a "donor" quality rifle with the right markings) and the right '53 parts kit.
Yeah I've been wanting to do one for awhile now too. I'm actually still searching for a donor rifle. I missed a few of the good deals in the last 6 months since I wasn't quite ready, now it seems like prices have risen slightly on them. I'm looking for a "shooter" but all I see listed are like new or minimal use...so they say anyway :) Just gotta be patient I suppose...but that's nothing new in this hobby!

#13 ·
@Mr.Maim , I am working through the 93 to 53 conversion process with Mike at TSC Machine now. He's been great, +1 for him and his wife Tammy. I am sure the others on the list are great as well, I've seen/heard nothing but good things about all those builders. Mike's SBR engraving goes on the rear tang as depicted in this photo:

Very clean, and again, WAY better than my silly trust/LLC name or my personal info. :biggrin:

#16 ·
+1 for Mike & Tammy (TSC)... they're simply awesome!

#21 ·
#23 ·
Straightgrain knows his sh*&, and you cannot change the designation on an NFA weapon. That is totally correct. However, a form 1 for the 53 build is an application to build an NFA (SBR). When approved, you may change the 93 to a 53, shorten the barrel and etc. Once the approved form 1 comes back and you build the 53, you cannot change it to something else later. I believe that is what he was saying, but ask him if you are unsure. Prior to it being an NFA or title 2 weapon, you could change what you call it and engrave it a million times if you so choose. Hope this helps.

Sean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.