Mounting a Surefire to MP5 with Suppressor

Thread: Mounting a Surefire to MP5 with Suppressor

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Mounting a Surefire to MP5 with Suppressor

So, I am really digging my MP5 clone, an MKE Z-5RS. I installed a Dakota Tactical M-LOK Handguard because I light the slim feel and solid lockup but wasn't sure how to mount a light. I do dig the old school Surefire forends but see that they don't work so well with an Octane suppressor so I decided to see if I could find a workable solution.

I played around with some different mounts and eventually I came to this solution which so far I really like.

This is the Magpul M-LOK Aluminum Cantilever Rail/Light Mount. I got the aluminum one but it also comes in polymer.

With this I was able to mount my Surefire X-300. There is plenty of room for my Octane. Also, I am pretty sure there will be plenty of room for a fatter can like the Omega 9K. I will test this of course whenever my 9K form 4 eventually clears :)

The cantilever puts the light out front and coincidentally just happens to line up the light really nice with the end of the barrel. The mount seems really sturdy and the finish matches the hanguard perfectly.

I tried it on the bottom of the rail and may go back there but for now, I like it on the right side. I find I can work the switch with my left hand index finger when gripping the handguard. I might try a tape switch but am not sure I need one, if I can live without it I would prefer to not have it.

It's an interesting option. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas for improvement, please let me know :)

Here are some pics in the current configuration:

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

@zephyr - Cheater.

Just kidding. That looks great and is an excellent solution for a problem where one of the few solutions is the dorky Surefire offset bezel extension (yes, yes, I know you can use the SF 328/628 head or a Malkoff but they still rub against the suppressor). And while I prefer the classic HK handguard, your setup looks great. Bravo OP!

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Good solution to the problem, looks good, and ought to function well.

One question tho... How much shadow off the suppressor do you get, when you turn the light on? I imagine the light nicely lights up the side of the suppressor? :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MW2152 View Post
    One question tho... How much shadow off the suppressor do you get, when you turn the light on? I imagine the light nicely lights up the side of the suppressor? :)
    I little but not objectionable. The spot is still nice and round with a little shadow on the left side. That light is stupid bright and really throws the spot out there.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Maim View Post
    @zephyr - Cheater.

Ouch! Ha, hah, that is exactly what I am trying to avoid. Maybe that config is the European option, you know, don't want to shine the bright light in the bad guy's face because it could hurt them ;)

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Exactly. Not wanting to offend a bad guy.

Actually that is a reference picture I took a couple years ago because people kept asking how the old SureFire lighted foreends would fit with a suppressor. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

That is a slick looking set up but unless you are well practiced have have the muscle memory down, I can imagine that manipulation of the controls in certain instances can be cumbersome. I think that Surefire will start complementing their lights with pressure switch augmentations soon and could access the whole subgun and battle rifle market using their smaller lights.

I am going to go ahead and offer up my million dollar idea for someone who has an R&D department. Its only a matter of time anyway.... but everyone here will know I said it first!!! How about a ring light? it could basically mount or rest on the tip of the suppressor and be mounted or held in place back at the weapon attachment point. This would allow the whole length of the suppressor to be battery storage that could equal thousands of hours with the right LEDs. They already have right lights for cameras so it is only natural that it could be adapted. Plus, they have the barrel markings that say "Smile, Wait for the Flash".
    Be excellent to each other.

Supporting Vendor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

That is odd. that was already my idea.... ;)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyWhisper View Post
    That is a slick looking set up but unless you are well practiced have have the muscle memory down, I can imagine that manipulation of the controls in certain instances can be cumbersome. I think that Surefire will start complementing their lights with pressure switch augmentations soon and could access the whole subgun and battle rifle market using their smaller lights.
    I have personally only used the Surefire replacement end cap which has a pressure switch which is a solid, flat mount which follows the bottom of the frame on a pistol, but I DO see that they also offer these pressure switches for the X200/300/400 series too.

You will have to sell a kidney to buy one though.

SureFire XT07 Remote Dual Switch for WeaponLights

Mounting a Surefire to MP5 with Suppressor-image.png

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I little but not objectionable. The spot is still nice and round with a little shadow on the left side. That light is stupid bright and really throws the spot out there.
    OK on the shadowing. In looking at your pics again, that mount is off the gun a nice bit, so that makes a huge difference I bet, just that slight bit of clearance.

Sponsored Links