MP5 accuracy issues. advice needed - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: MP5 accuracy issues. advice needed

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

It's doubtful that your Barrel is shot out it's more likely that you are are canting the gun because you are not mounting it consistently and I would also say not geting a consistent cheeck weld.

I make sure to roll the butt up my shoulder starting with the point of the butt under my armpit to get a consistent mount. Once mounted, i get a consistent cheek weld by putting my cheek in the dip of the top of the stock and pushing it forward until I feel the front of the dip where the stock rises. For me at least, this has stopped the canting of the gun so my red dot sight picture is very stable and consistent.

I find the shorter the stock and gun say for instance an Mp5k the more critical this is.
    Thomas Jefferson -
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    "Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My eyes are old and crappy, especially after a detached retina. But, my buddy can consistently smack a 6' X 6' steel plate at 300 yards using my Fleming MP5 running in semi-auto mode. It's uncanny. He likes shooting it at distance with a Gemtech MK-9K attached. He said the extra front end weight helps with front end flip. On 3RB, he'll get two hits out of three shots every time at that 300 yard plate.

I would pay $50.00 to see that happen.
    In Memory Of All The Heroes Who Died Just Doing What They Do! 09/11/2001
    I AM LOOKING FOR THIS 69 CAMARO IN THE AVATAR. (REWARD IF FOUND DOC)

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I don't think his barrel is shot out. I have a feeling the crown got messed up when the barrel was cut and it's sending bullets off in one direction.

I also doubt it's how the OP is holding it since he is getting the same POA/POI with a quality optic which would account for an irregular hold.

That's why I suggested a re-barrel.
    MP5SD SW clone SBR with TPM SD can
    MP5 Coharie clone SBR with AAC Striker II can
    MP5-40 Vector clone SBR
    HK45 with Sico Osprey 45 can
    USP40
    VP9
    VP40
    Many Many more non HK firearms

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Op please post pics of the front of your barrel to include a straight on pic showing the barrel crown.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggie24 View Post
    I don't think his barrel is shot out. I have a feeling the crown got messed up when the barrel was cut and it's sending bullets off in one direction.

I also doubt it's how the OP is holding it since he is getting the same POA/POI with a quality optic which would account for an irregular hold.

That's why I suggested a re-barrel.
    Even if the crown is messed up it's a simple enough process to re-crown without a rebarrel.

HKPRO Professional

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

If it's a bad crown, it won't group at any distance.

That it's reliably shooting at only laterally different points of impact based on variation in distance forces me to agree with what I said.

;-)

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hard Times Armory was doing HK conversions when there was virtually no factory parts to make HK94s full auto. Mr. Farmer might have cut the barrel a little off . I would send it to a Smith for a new barrel and have him sight in the factory iron sights and install the red dot sight too.
    I absolutely love to shoot steel targets!

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

All of the above answers. I would also suggest 124 grain ammo, might give it a try, then head to Teufelshund Tactical's MP5 class to really get down to business.

If I may ask, where is the class you are attending?
    Bobby D
    NRA Endowment
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    EMT-B
    KB9RDL

"In einer Welt aus Kompromissen, einige Mšnner machen keine".

"We bleed hk red!"

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chipw View Post
    Help me diagnose whatís going on with my registered receiver HK MP5.

Iím about to go to a SMG class and for the first time since i bought the gun, Iím trying to sight it in.

Iím using a B&T low profile mount and an aimpoint T1.

I got the gun sighted in at 25 yards. I move back 50 yards to confirm and my POI is about 6 inches left. I rezero at 50, no easy feat because at best Iím shooting 4MOA. I move back up to 25 yards and now Iím shooting about 3 inches to the right. I get vertical movement but what could cause that much horizontal movement?

Any ideas what could cause this?

A little about the gun. Itís a real HK94 that was converted to full auto by Hard Times armory back in the early 80's. The barrel is a cut down 16" barrel thatís been threaded with a flash hider attached. Ammo was 115gr UMC ball. I tried some reloaded 147gr but my groups were similar. My thinking is that the barrel cut was done poorly or that the thing has just been shot out over the years. it looked to have very little wear when I bought it but Iím sure itís had plenty of rounds down the pipe.
    I'd say it is the alignment of the scope mount (or optic) to the bore line. That's why you have so much horizontal "movement". Also, when using the optic, ignore the front sight/hood. I'd remove the mount and optic and put it back on for starters, long before replacing the barrel. Also, have someone else shoot it to "rule" YOU in or out:)

Merchant of Death (Admin)
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)

Although this sounds painfully obvious, has it, in fact been tried? Bench rest the thing at the various distances to gather objective data regarding grouping and POI. Seriously. Eliminate all the variables and document performance of the weapon at various distances. If the POI shift becomes magnified as the distance increases, then you can look to the gun. If the issue cannot be duplicated with the human removed from the equation, then the human just might be the problem.

Wondering what happened to your posts???
    Please take a moment to re-read the terms that
    you agreed to
    when you signed up:
    Hidden Content .

Help bring sense to the NFA world, join Hidden Content .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby D View Post
    All of the above answers. I would also suggest 124 grain ammo, might give it a try, then head to Teufelshund Tactical's MP5 class to really get down to business.

If I may ask, where is the class you are attending?
    This is the class. It will be held in North Georgia at a private range
    Precision Applications, LLC - Combat Submachine Gun

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links