MP5 accuracy issues. advice needed
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: MP5 accuracy issues. advice needed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default MP5 accuracy issues. advice needed

Help me diagnose whatís going on with my registered receiver HK MP5.

Iím about to go to a SMG class and for the first time since i bought the gun, Iím trying to sight it in.

Iím using a B&T low profile mount and an aimpoint T1.

I got the gun sighted in at 25 yards. I move back 50 yards to confirm and my POI is about 6 inches left. I rezero at 50, no easy feat because at best Iím shooting 4MOA. I move back up to 25 yards and now Iím shooting about 3 inches to the right. I get vertical movement but what could cause that much horizontal movement?

Any ideas what could cause this?

A little about the gun. Itís a real HK94 that was converted to full auto by Hard Times armory back in the early 80's. The barrel is a cut down 16" barrel thatís been threaded with a flash hider attached. Ammo was 115gr UMC ball. I tried some reloaded 147gr but my groups were similar. My thinking is that the barrel cut was done poorly or that the thing has just been shot out over the years. it looked to have very little wear when I bought it but Iím sure itís had plenty of rounds down the pipe.

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Did you try sighting in the iron sights? If so do they give you the same POA POI movement?
    MP5SD SW clone SBR with TPM SD can
    MP5 Coharie clone SBR with AAC Striker II can
    MP5-40 Vector clone SBR
    HK45 with Sico Osprey 45 can
    USP40
    VP9
    VP40
    Many Many more non HK firearms

The Librarian
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Shooting right, then left, so your pretty much all over the place... Did you let anyone else shoot and did the get the same results?
    "...but just like every other clone, they are copies of the original and copies are never as good as the original."

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggie24 View Post
    Did you try sighting in the iron sights? If so do they give you the same POA POI movement?
    Yes. I have the rear sight as far right as it will go and i still shoot a couple inches off to the left of the POA at 25 yards. I also have this problem with the iron sights on a Vector V93 but i do not have the problem with a genuine HK91. I shoot left handed by the way.

Teufelshund Tactical
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chipw View Post
    Yes. I have the rear sight as far right as it will go and i still shoot a couple inches off to the left of the POA at 25 yards. I also have this problem with the iron sights on a Vector V93 but i do not have the problem with a genuine HK91. I shoot left handed by the way.
    If this is the case, you need to send your gun back to the builder and have him correct it or send it to another smith for the same.
    SF,

James

Heckler and Koch Certified Armorer (Heckler and Koch)
    Heckler and Koch Pistol, Submachine Gun and Rifle Instructor (Singleton International)

Owner, Teufelshund Tactical

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

To me it sounds like the best course of action would be to send it to a reputable builder to be re-barreled which will likely correct the issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You could try a laser bore sight to check for linement issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gamble View Post
    You could try a laser bore sight to check for linement issues.
    Good idea. ill give that a try. Thanks everyone for the feedback. Im likely going to find someone to replace the barrel.

HKPRO Professional

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Canting the gun could contribute to this, but not to the extent you describe.

This speaks of the sight and the barrel not being in the same (vertical) plane, and/or not pointed in the same direction.

When you sight a firearm in this condition in at 25Y, you are making a triangle, where the bore and the sight are pointing at the POI from different angles.

Anywhere nearer the sight in distance, the POI will be toward the sight. Anywhere further, it will be the other way.

Highly doubtful the barrel is shot out. It depends how the work was done. If all they did was cut it and re-thread, then it would have been shipped out of alignment like this from HK.

If the people doing the work removed the barrel for the work and reinstalled it, it's on them.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

My eyes are old and crappy, especially after a detached retina. But, my buddy can consistently smack a 6' X 6' steel plate at 300 yards using my Fleming MP5 running in semi-auto mode. It's uncanny. He likes shooting it at distance with a Gemtech MK-9K attached. He said the extra front end weight helps with front end flip. On 3RB, he'll get two hits out of three shots every time at that 300 yard plate.
    ďElections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.Ē
    ó Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links