Difference between XM8 and G36 Magazine (Photo Comparison)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Difference between XM8 and G36 Magazine (Photo Comparison)

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Default Difference between XM8 and G36 Magazine (Photo Comparison)

I found a few XM8 magazines going through my pile of G36 magazines. I have had them for a while, but never noticed them! The funny part of it is, they were in a little box of accessories I have for my SL8-1/XM8 conversion by Tommy Built Tactical.

Below, a G36 magazine (left) and an XM8 magazine (right) are pictured together. Both are AE = 04 = 2004 date code, which makes sense for the XM8 magazine as it was being considered and tested by the US Army around that time. The two XM8 magazines I found are AE date code, the G36 magazine pictured with the XM8 magazine is also AE date code, but lacks the XM8 notches. I have always heard the XM8 magazine had provisions to attach a spoon on it to accept USGI 10 round 5.56x45 stripper clips, but I have never seen a clear image of one of the magazines before. The magazine rear locking lug area simply has a notch on each side to accommodate the HK XM8 stripper clip loader spoon. I don't have such a spoon handy to test it out, as they are probably next to impossible to find like most XM8 parts.

Check your G36 magazines! You may find a few XM8 ones.
    Last edited by sweersa; 06-25-2016 at 10:37 PM.
    Hidden Content
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

I will look at mine and imagine them with the lug you have pictured. What comes to mind for me though is the stripper clip shoe slides down in the "groove" on USGI mags. I have some stripper clip guides I will compare later too. Nice find in your parts!

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Here is a stripper clip guide. I don't think it will interface even with the different lug. How the edges bend in would require the grooves or the guide's edges would need to be removed. It wouldn't even come close to fitting one of my G36 mags.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nzfly View Post
    Here is a stripper clip guide. I don't think it will interface even with the different lug. How the edges bend in would require the grooves or the guide's edges would need to be removed. It wouldn't even come close to fitting one of my G36 mags.
    Thank you for checking! I edited my OP to reflect your findings on the spoon.

It appears HK made a special spoon for the XM8 mags to use USGI stripper clips. I'm sure these are not easy to find!

Marine0303's G36 armorers thread has a photo of one on an XM8 magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine0303 View Post

A small change in the rear of the locking point of the G36 magazine was created during the XM8 testing with the US Army, in order to incorporate the requirement to function with the standard US military stripper clip. In the photo below, you can see one of these XM8 stripper clips mounted.

Thread: https://www.hkpro.com/forum/teufelshu...er-course.html
    Last edited by sweersa; 06-25-2016 at 10:38 PM.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

It is hard to see from the angle of James' picture, but it looks like the guide extends significantly over the mag feed lips. I am not seeing where that guide would connect to the lug you observed. It looks like mag on the left of his picture doesn't have the lug yours does. I can be wrong as it is usual for me :-)

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nzfly View Post
    It is hard to see from the angle of James' picture, but it looks like the guide extends significantly over the mag feed lips. I am not seeing where that guide would connect to the lug you observed. It looks like mag on the left of his picture doesn't have the lug yours does. I can be wrong as it is usual for me :-)
    The mag on the left appears to be a regular G36 mag to me too.

As for the base of the guide, it goes over the part of the magazine with those cuts. I'm guessing there are edges of the base of the guide on the bottom where it fits over the mag that rides in those little channels that are not present on regular G36 magazines.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Great detective work.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NFATCA Member

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)

Thanks for the excellent tutorial and pics!!!

Tony

Requiescat in Pace
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

There were two magazines made for/during the XM8 program.
    One with the "locking lugs" to lock mags together side by side, one later without.
    Both offered the stripper clip mounting tab for using USGI stripper clips.
    The later version was preferred by the US Army.

G3Kurz

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AGG View Post
    Thanks for the excellent tutorial and pics!!!

Tony
    It's my pleasure!

Quote Originally Posted by G3Kurz View Post
    There were two magazines made for/during the XM8 program.
    One with the "locking lugs" to lock mags together side by side, one later without.
    Both offered the stripper clip mounting tab for using USGI stripper clips.
    The later version was preferred by the US Army.

G3Kurz
    That is great to know, thank you for chiming in! Your insight and the information you share is always greatly appreciated.

Am I correct in assuming the G36 magazines lacking the "locking lugs" were introduced after the XM8 magazines without the locking lugs were made? I ask this, because the handful of G36 magazines I have that lack those locking lugs have faint marks where you can see where the stripper clip mounting tabs were, as if HK used the same mold after some modification. Here are two photos to illustrate that observation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links