Full auto MP5, need some help/advice - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Full auto MP5, need some help/advice

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Nice work Klaus...

Housing: correct; clip-on: correct; swing down would only be allowed on a registered receiver (sometimes referred to as a PP or a DPP (double pushpin) receiver)
    Pack: correct, the metal housing itself is the registered part
    Sear: correct, the sear catch emulates the factory sear catch, just with different geometry

The select fire modes are a function of the selector lever position in the Pack: SEF packs can only do Safe Single Full (there is a rare burst pack SEF but it's not worth discussing here), whereas the AMBI packs (that have the pictograms on the housings) are capable of adding 2-round and 3-round burst modes to 0-1-(2 or 3)-F selections. The burst modes in an ambi pack are a function of the burst parts within the pack. A sear can be installed into either an SEF pack or an AMBI pack, with no legal restrictions on doing so.

Watch this video. Twice. The YouTube video creator is s member here:

Last edited by Mr.Maim; 09-08-2016 at 06:36 AM.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

One additional point, the safety selector switch had a larger diameter on the Ambi packs than the SEF packs. So, the hole in the housing and the pack are larger as well.
    Last edited by Slaine777; 09-08-2016 at 11:58 AM.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Klaustrophobia View Post
    Thanks for all your input so far. Can someone check my understanding?
    this would have to be a clip-on style, because a swing-down would need to have the receiver registered, right?
    Nope, there are some with 2 push pin holes, and have a device of some kind in the pack (sear, or OEM FA pack) that makes the gun FA, and it is registered as a RR. This is a highly questionable conversion, as both the gun, and the pack are technically both machine guns.

Anything I misunderstand? At what level are the select-fire modes decided? I.e., is a sear/housing/pack 'stuck' as SEF, 0-1-2-30, etc, or can that be legally modified? Can a sear be dropped into anything, or if I took it out of an SEF would it have to go back in the same type for example?
    if you have a sear it can be moved between a SEF or a 0-1-<more than 1> pack, but you should have a smith do that job so you don't have >1 sear capable packs. a burst (4 position)pack can be be changed from a 0-1-2-F to a 0-1-3-F by changing the counting wheel.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is a DLO box simply a (transferable) full-auto trigger pack that has the front notched out enough to clear the shelf in a semi-auto receiver?

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralPurpose View Post
    Is a DLO box simply a (transferable) full-auto trigger pack that has the front notched out enough to clear the shelf in a semi-auto receiver?
    Yes. Google it and look at the images. The beauty is it uses standard full auto pack parts, easily found and cheap.

A registered sear requires modifications to the hammer and trip lever to function. A minor irritation but requiring more fiddling. It uses a different hole position than the full auto sear, basically it needs a semiauto pack with the trigger stop removed.

I have an extra hammer from Mike Otte, and if I need a trip lever modified I'll send it in to a good smith or break out my Dremel tool to get it adjusted.
    HK Urbach MP5K-N with SWR QD3K
    Fleming Registered Sear
    Dakota Tactical D54P pistol
    HK USP Tactical w/ Gemtech SOS 45 (ret), Silencerco Osprey 45
    Michael's Machines MM23E
    HK VP9
    Powershot P5 Pistol
    HK SP5K
    Black USC Carbine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vicdoc View Post
    Yes. Google it and look at the images. The beauty is it uses standard full auto pack parts, easily found and cheap.

A registered sear requires modifications to the hammer and trip lever to function. A minor irritation but requiring more fiddling. It uses a different hole position than the full auto sear, basically it needs a semiauto pack with the trigger stop removed.

I have an extra hammer from Mike Otte, and if I need a trip lever modified I'll send it in to a good smith or break out my Dremel tool to get it adjusted.
    That's so simple it's genius. I never really understood the whole shelf deal with MP5 receivers. It all makes perfect sense now, I see why the DLO box is seen as the ideal way to go.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

So I was finally able to go back and get all the details. The 3-pos is an S&H sear registered in 9mm, .223 and .308. For the purposes of the NFA, are .223 and 5.56 NATO considered the same caliber, or would I not be able to use it in something chambered 5.56 NATO? Non-ambi SEF trigger group. The dealer did say it is not also an SBR, so more paperwork to do if I want to move the sear to a different host. The 4-pos is a Wilson registered receiver, ambi pictogram 0-1-3-7. 10% cheaper (does this pass price checking rules?). Both are semi shelf style, concave collapsible stock (A3 right?), and have a paddle mag release installed. The RR has a threaded barrel, the sear does not. Neither have 3-lug. Dealer was talking about getting the barrel threaded and threading on a 3-lug adapter, but I thought I have seen pictures of 3-lugs with threads in front of them? Is there a 'standard' setup for this? Will most likely go off to MM for the work, dealer will have it done while the transfer is processing. His advice was the same as most of you, get the registered sear. I'm mostly convinced, but part of me is still thinking about the receiver. As of now I don't really have any desire to move the sear, and can't see it happening in the future really either, especially with the headache of making the original host an SBR first. I also like that 4-pos ambi trigger group. How hard/expensive is it to get a burst pack that will work with the sear/receiver? Getting close. Verrrrry close. Thanks everyone, I couldn't have figured all this out and been confident enough to buy a machine gun without you.

Sidenote, turns out the SBR that I thought was an MP5 is actually an HK53. Magazine isn't installed and I didn't really pay it enough attention to notice the difference. Never really an interest in such a short rifle caliber gun, but it does present an interesting argument for going for the sear over the RR. Might be a much easier way of getting an auto 5.56 than finding a sear for an AR-15.

Banned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They make a mp5 lower you can use AR parts on. Just SBR a pistol and put a surefire on it. Bam, full auto, fraction of the price. Save the money and buy a nice car etc.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by explosive_art View Post
    They make a mp5 lower you can use AR parts on. Just SBR a pistol and put a surefire on it. Bam, full auto, fraction of the price. Save the money and buy a nice car etc.
    What exactly are you advocating here?? Fraction of the price???
    HK HK HK HK HK HK HK .. U.S.A Hidden Content

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caf82313 View Post
    What exactly are you advocating here?? Fraction of the price???
    just adding to his post count.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links