I have a "Gun Doctor" RCM SD can. Safe for Ultrasonic cleaning ?????

Thread: I have a "Gun Doctor" RCM SD can. Safe for Ultrasonic cleaning ?????

Supporting Vendor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Default I have a "Gun Doctor" RCM SD can. Safe for Ultrasonic cleaning ?????

My SD has gotten LOUD which is pissing me off. Used to be oh so quiet but no mas.
    The can doesnt feel heavier but what would I know.
    Got maybe 5k rnds thru it. Never cleaned it other than threads.
    Doesnt look easily serviceable to me.

Any advice (other than the "call RCM") ?

Thanks

PS: My Omega SD can just arrived. It's heavier than hell. I mean you could club someone to death with it. Easily 2x as heavy as the RCM can.

HKPRO Professional

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

The baffles all look good? End cap not getting hit?

What's it look like inside the attachment end? If it's not damaged, it might have lost some internal volume. Reach in there and try to feel if there's any build up of crud. I go in with an allen wrench and just try to feel/gauge the build up of crud there. I don't try to gouge or scrape it off.

The stock method for cleaning it from HK is to rap the base cap on a piece of wood. If you are going to ultrasonic clean it, don't use anything with ammonia in it or it will destroy the aluminum.

Supporting Vendor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

^^^I'll further investigate it as you mention.

The main question really is do SD can owners "clean" their cans? And if so then how exactly and how often?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rhouston8 View Post
    ^^^I'll further investigate it as you mention.

The main question really is do SD can owners "clean" their cans? And if so then how exactly and how often?
    I was told by TPM that if I shoot 300 rounds in a range session, I should clean it after every outing. The main issue being that if you don't keep it clean, it can be impossible to get it apart when you finally do decide to clean it. 5,000 rounds without cleaning is a lot for any pistol can, but that's a ton of rounds for an SD can.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Since the original SD can was sealed and non serviceable it shouldn't be much of an issue. However I am unsure of if and how the interal design has changed. The can is fairly overbuilt for what it really needs to be. Make sure the ports in your barrel aren't obstructed. If they are clogged enough gas won't be bled into the silencer and the rounds may still maintain supersonic velocities
    Last edited by SWolff; 10-11-2016 at 12:10 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rhouston8 View Post
    PS: My Omega SD can just arrived. It's heavier than hell. I mean you could club someone to death with it.
    Funny. My dealer used almost exactly the same wording about my Omega SD can.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

It comes apart.

Supporting Vendor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

^^Mr Maim...is that a gun doctor /RCM can shown in your pic and can you confirm that you took it apart, etc? and was able to put it back together too!

Any tricks or special tools required? I'd love to get mine open for thorough cleaning, etc.

I simply dont understand why ALL cans arent designed to be easily user serviceable.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

@rhouston8 - That is the RCM suppressor indeed! Search for my thread "and so it begins" documenting my MP5SD clone build. The teardown of the suppressors is at page 5-7. I'd post the link but I'm not at my computer.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Don't own an RCM can... That being said... I use exactly what the manual from HK calls for. Wrapping the can in a piece of leather a few times and walking it over a piece of wood. Then vigorously shaking to remove what carbon broke apart from said can. Repeat as needed until nothing falls out. It has worked for me and I have yet to have an issue with the can deforming or anything of the like.
    Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least
    capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded
    with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Speedballing....that's slamming Benadryl right? Source: SudS aka Kevin

HK...The most addictive drug known to man.

Sponsored Links