9mm/ 158 gr safe to shoot suppressed?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm/ 158 gr safe to shoot suppressed?

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Default 9mm/ 158 gr safe to shoot suppressed?

got got my stamp back for my suppressor for my mp5, and ive got a 100/ locking piece, and 158 gr 9mm ammo, safe to shoot or should I get another locking piece/ ammo?

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

That is up to you. HK, the people that came up with the design, says to no higher grain bullet than 147. You have been waiting months for the stamp. Now that you just get it you ask the forum if you can. There have been several threads on this subject. If you have read them you know, some say they shoot 158 in their guns and others follow the HK recommendations. So what are you going to do?

Scott

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've had zero issues shooting 158gn out of my MKE MP5K SBR with a gemtech multimount sitting on a tri-lug.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Generally speaking, the 158 gr. subgun ammo of yesteryear was loaded hotter than the 158s you'll find in today's marketplace. The older legacy ammo is where the recommendations come from. Warranty issues may push you to stay away from this ammo, but in my experience you won't have any undue wear shooting something like Fiocchi 158s.

Personally, I find my handloaded 147s to be just as quiet, and 147 gr bullets are much easier to get a hold of than either 158gr .355 bullets or factory loaded 158s.

YMMV
    NRA Life Member
    Wyoming Antelope Club - Florida Chapter

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

There was some 158 +P+ type ammo that was made for the Uzi SMG. Often when they talk about 158 not being good, they mean that stuff. the 158 subsonic hasn't harmed any of my guns (doesnt mean that it never will) but just know that 158 is officially no bueno per HK.
    [Insert Witty Comment Here]

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BravoSector1 View Post
    I've had zero issues shooting 158gn out of my MKE MP5K SBR with a gemtech multimount sitting on a tri-lug.
    For clarification, I am shooting current Fiocchi 158gn

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

There are several threads on the subject here and I post the same thing every time as a PSA. If your mp5 is a K, I had several light baffle strikes in a K gun using 158gr ammo a couple of years ago. Here is what I was using at the time:

HK SP89 converted to K with sear
    Factory German K-N barrel (late model with laser engraving)
    YHM Wraith XL supressor w/3 lug
    Fiocchi 158gr 9mm

The suppressor sounded like a baby rattle after a few semi auto rounds. The strike was so light I didn't even realize I was striking until I lowered the gun because I was confused as to why I wasn't even on paper. Interestingly enough, the same ammo and can performed flawlessly with a full size mp5n, uzi and sterling. I still use the 158gr, but mostly with the uzi.

Priest of the P7
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by surely_you_jest View Post
    There are several threads on the subject here and I post the same thing every time as a PSA. If your mp5 is a K, I had several light baffle strikes in a K gun using 158gr ammo a couple of years ago. Here is what I was using at the time:

HK SP89 converted to K with sear
    Factory German K-N barrel (late model with laser engraving)
    YHM Wraith XL supressor w/3 lug
    Fiocchi 158gr 9mm

The suppressor sounded like a baby rattle after a few semi auto rounds. The strike was so light I didn't even realize I was striking until I lowered the gun because I was confused as to why I wasn't even on paper. Interestingly enough, the same ammo and can performed flawlessly with a full size mp5n, uzi and sterling. I still use the 158gr, but mostly with the uzi.
    Interesting. I guess the heavier bullet wasn't stabilized through the short barrel and wobbled a bit going through the can. Good to know.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bastardsonofelvis View Post
    Interesting. I guess the heavier bullet wasn't stabilized through the short barrel and wobbled a bit going through the can. Good to know.
    That's the best I could come up with. I guess it could be a fluke with my ammo batch and barrel and suppressor and the alignment of the stars. One would expect there to be a lot more tales of baffle strike woes online if 158gr regularly caused such issues in shorter barrels (particularly in pistols). All the same though, I haven't used it in a short barrel since that happened with the K. I can get my suppression on fine with 147gr.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by surely_you_jest View Post
    That's the best I could come up with. I guess it could be a fluke with my ammo batch and barrel and suppressor and the alignment of the stars. One would expect there to be a lot more tales of baffle strike woes online if 158gr regularly caused such issues in shorter barrels (particularly in pistols). All the same though, I haven't used it in a short barrel since that happened with the K. I can get my suppression on fine with 147gr.
    My limited understanding is barrel twist is directly related to the range of mass of the projectile that is planned to be used in that barrel and the length of that barrel. The early 5.56X45 HK33 was a 1/12 twist for 55gr. ammo. When a shorter barrel (33K and 53) with heavier bullets (62 gr to 77 gr) were desired the twist rate was moved up to 1/7 twist rate for all 5.56X45 rifles. Could it be, liability wise, that HK was concerned that the twist rate of the MP5 series was not within the operation range that HK felt a 158 gr projectile would be stabilized? Those Germans are pretty fussy. I don't know, just wondering aloud.

Scott

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links