Cleaning an HK MP5SD Suppressor.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleaning an HK MP5SD Suppressor.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Default Cleaning an HK MP5SD Suppressor.

I am a Class 3 SOT and my buddy gave me a Pre Sample MP5SD suppressor. He gave it to me because its blast chamber was all carbon caked up. The suppressor didn't cost me anything, so what the hell. I'm going to get this baby cleaned even if it takes me a year. I started off using a thin, curved blade tip, long shank wood chisel. Going through the breech end I kept tapping away at the carbon until I got tired. I then took an AR15/M15 chamber brush with stainless bristle bristles. I screwed it on to a five inch cleaning rod shaft and went to town with a power drill. Again more crap was removed, but I snapped off two cleaning brush shafts and quit. It looks like about 20% of the blast chamber is cleaned up. What a bitch.

I'm going to make a pint of Ed's Red, place a rubber stopper in the suppressor's breech hole, fill 'er up with Ed's Red and leave the suppressor soak for a week or so. I really want to unscrew the rear of the suppressor to get to the baffles and continue with the carbon caked blast chamber.
    “Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
    — Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)

Interesting--- please keep us updated on your progress!!!

<mod: non-HK content deleted>

Tony

HKPRO Professional

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

One of the guys here (maybe HKCHUCK?) uses an ingenious method of affixing a fish tank bubbler through a cork and lets it bubble itself clean.

That's the best I've seen.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Does anyone know if the blast chamber is screwed in via left hand threads or right hand threads? I may never get that far, but I have a potential need to know.

(Above jpg shamelessly stolen from a previous post)

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Cool

MG34

Not sure how well this setup would work on a suppressor so caked up as the one you have.
    But for cleaning a lightly used one this way is pretty slick.

Fargo007 - You were right it was me.
    Last edited by HkCHUCK; 03-17-2017 at 06:22 PM.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MG34_Dan View Post
    I am a Class 3 SOT and my buddy gave me a Pre Sample MP5SD suppressor. He gave it to me because its blast chamber was all carbon caked up. The suppressor didn't cost me anything, so what the hell. I'm going to get this baby cleaned even if it takes me a year. I started off using a thin, curved blade tip, long shank wood chisel. Going through the breech end I kept tapping away at the carbon until I got tired. I then took an AR15/M15 chamber brush with stainless bristle bristles. I screwed it on to a five inch cleaning rod shaft and went to town with a power drill. Again more crap was removed, but I snapped off two cleaning brush shafts and quit. It looks like about 20% of the blast chamber is cleaned up. What a bitch.

I'm going to make a pint of Ed's Red, place a rubber stopper in the suppressor's breech hole, fill 'er up with Ed's Red and leave the suppressor soak for a week or so. I really want to unscrew the rear of the suppressor to get to the baffles and continue with the carbon caked blast chamber.
    Is there a particular builder you've used before? Perhaps they have taken one apart.

HKPRO Professional

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Won't the armorer's manual have this info? I'd check that if you haven't yet.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

What about "the dip"?

PROUD ASA MEMBER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mpj76 View Post
    What about "the dip"?
    That's what I would do as long as the entire construction is at least stainless steel. If there are any aluminum parts then it's a no go. Hence why I never purchase aluminum suppressors. Which that's really only as issue with .22 but still. Must be stainless steel or better or I don't touch them. If we're talking rifle cans then I'm shooting for a stellite core. Good luck OP!
    Last edited by HKSIGslinger; 03-17-2017 at 07:31 PM.
    HK addict in constant search for a cure.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SudS View Post
    Is there a particular builder you've used before? Perhaps they have taken one apart.
    I spoke with Mike Woodward this morning and he has never disassembled one. These real HK suppressors are made of aluminum and harsh chemicals are a no-go. Prior to giving me this suppressor, my buddy tried to clean it with an ultrasonic cleaner. All that did was pit the aluminum exterior. The carbon crud was untouched. So, for all you guys out there considering using an ultrasonic cleaner, don't be dumbasses and place any aluminum in there. You are now officially warned.

Getting back to my challenge; Mike Woodward said a buddy of his cleaned a carboned up one on a lathe. It turned out perfectly. I don't have a lathe, but I'm going to keep going with a chamber brush and then try a small diameter cylinder hone. Mike did point out that cleaning out the blast chamber is all that needs to be done. The baffles never get too much carbon anyway and it's best to just leave them alone. He told me to just attack the blast chamber and all will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by fargo007
    Won't the armorer's manual have this info? I'd check that if you haven't yet.
    I couldn't find anything in Armorer's Manual pertaining to an SD's suppressor.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links