Rebarrel MP5K for 3 lug?

Thread: Rebarrel MP5K for 3 lug?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Rebarrel MP5K for 3 lug?

Will I go to HK Hell for rebarreling a German MP5K sear gun that runs and shoots fine, just so I can use a can on it? Or should I just pony up some extra $$$ and buy a full size clone to run the can on and keep the K as is.

Rebarrel the K:
    $150 barrel
    $500 labor

Buy a clone:
    $1900+

Humm? I just don't want to go to hell and I hate to mess with a gun that runs fine. However I don't light cigars with $100 bills.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Default Rebarrel MP5K for 3 lug?

Barrel is a replacement part, change away and heaven remains open to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by GPSIG; 05-28-2017 at 05:40 PM.

7n6
    Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Use one of the B&T barrels.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

HKparts.net has the following:

RCM: three lug and threaded for $129
    RCM: three lug and CHF for $169
    B&T: three lug and threaded and CHF for $399

Is it worth the $40 extra to get the CHF?
    Do I really need threads and 3 lug? I'll have to buy an adapter for my can either way.
    It is worth $230 extra to go with the B&T over the RCM?

The RCM barrels also count as a 922r part should I go the SBR route at some point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Don't know if anybody still does it or not but, I've known folks to have the barrel pulled, threaded, and have a Three lug collar placed on the original barrel and then have it reseated and pinned. You'd have the original barrel you have now and the three lug option. Granted there would be a portion of the barrel under the three lugs that would not be rifled but, it didn't seem to make any difference. Just an option.

Personally, I'd get a Three lug Threaded CHF and Nitrided barrel and not worry about it.

Frank in GA.

PS. This was done in the past when it wasn't possible to obtain the threaded three lug barrels. There are more choices now. That said if one were to maintain the firearm and properly clean the barrel I sincerely doubt it would present any issues.
    Last edited by Frank in GA.; 05-29-2017 at 03:44 AM. Reason: added postscript.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank in GA. View Post
    Don't know if anybody still does it or not but, I've known folks to have the barrel pulled, threaded, and have a Three lug collar placed on the original barrel and then have it reseated and pinned. You'd have the original barrel you have now and the three lug option. Granted there would be a portion of the barrel under the three lugs that would not be rifled but, it didn't seem to make any difference. Just an option.

Personally, I'd get a Three lug Threaded CHF and Nitrided barrel and not worry about it.

Frank in GA.
    I believe Curtis Higgins will still convert barrels like this. It is a viable option I believe if one is not shooting high volume FA suppressed. A friend purchased a MP5K with fleming sear installed that was converted to 3-lug in this way. The ID of the 3-lug extension had cicumferential carbon/lead deposits to the point the projectiles were rubbing on the crud as they exited his barrel. He replaced his with a B&T K-N barrel. B&T's barrels are CHF, nitride, and made to factory HK spec using HK's technical drawings.
    Last edited by jsurowitz; 05-28-2017 at 08:11 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

It is worth checking around on barrel install prices. I thought TSC charged me less to put the barrel on my sp5k. They didn't have to refinish the gun, just touch up the paint a little and mine was the first he did it too.

I'd rebarrel the existing gun vs dealing with a clone that may or may not run right either. Personally I'd go with the b&t barrel although that is more due to the issues with the us made clone parts in the past.

Sponsored Links