Dealer told me DLO triggers packs are useless and "dead" but that doesn't sound right
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Dealer told me DLO triggers packs are useless and "dead" but that doesn't sound right

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Dealer told me DLO triggers packs are useless and "dead" but that doesn't sound right

Hello all!

I am looking to wade into the world of HK select fire guns. I've been doing a ton of research and thought I understood what I was getting into when a dealer sent me:

"We do not deal in registered trigger packs if we can help it. What they are is all they will ever be so no way to legally recofigure. " ... "We do not put our money in the dead items like the trigger packs."

And this threw a wrench in what I thought I understood after reading a lot of posts on this forum and several guides online. So I was hoping someone here could help me clear things up.

Basically, my understanding (which could be completely wrong) is a trigger pack can be swapped between guns. You can either get a registered trigger pack, or a registered sear inside a trigger pack.

If you go with the registered sear option, you have more flexibility in that you can turn it into a Navy Burst fire or SEF, and you're not stuck with the same trigger pack as you can move the sear into another if the current trigger pack ever gets damaged or you want to upgrade, etc. And as long as you go with a high end sear that was heat treated and carbon, odds of it breaking are slim to none. However if you ever need any work done on the trigger you must use a gun smith as the customer trigger boxes for just a registered are close to factory, but not quite.

On the other hand if you go with a DLO trigger pack, it's the pack itself that's registered, not the sear. So you can fill it with all HK factory parts, including a new sear if needed (I'm sure you need to destroy or surrender the old one), and as it's factory spec it's cheaper and easier to repair or fix. The registered trigger packs come in the SEF configuration and can't be modified to add burst (I know there is some debate on the legality of that, but to be safe you shouldn't go drilling and modifying them).

Speaking of legality, no matter if you get a trigger pack or sear, it MUST be registered for multiple calibers on the paperwork and you can only use it with the calibers listed. Then you shouldn't have problem moving from 9mm to 308 in a host gun.

One big question I have - can any HK host gun take a DLO trigger pack and a customer trigger pack w/ a registered sear in it? I've been unable to find any solid info on that, and I can find a ton of guns that work with sear packs, but I don't know how to find one that works w/ a DLO pack - or do you just buy any standard HK semi auto and swap it out?

Another thing i think is true is some consider a DLO more of a collectors item as it uses factory original parts?

And a push pin swing down receiver - does that work like a DLO in that the receiver is registered with HK and therefore any part can be exchanged for a factory one? If i understand it correctly, the difference between the swing down and DLO is a DLO is just the trigger pack and can go into any host gun whereas as swing down receiver can only work with HK guns registered to work with the push pin model?

Note: this is not a debate between which is better or should be priced more, etc. That's ultimately a personal preference. I'm really just trying to make sure I understand the facts before I make a large investment in the platform, and I'm getting conflicting information and this topic is very deep and complex.

Thank you very much in advance for any advice or info you can provide.

Brian

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AZBrian View Post
    Hello all!

I am looking to wade into the world of HK select fire guns. I've been doing a ton of research and thought I understood what I was getting into when a dealer sent me:

"We do not deal in registered trigger packs if we can help it. What they are is all they will ever be so no way to legally recofigure. " ... "We do not put our money in the dead items like the trigger packs."

And this threw a wrench in what I thought I understood after reading a lot of posts on this forum and several guides online. So I was hoping someone here could help me clear things up.

Basically, my understanding (which could be completely wrong) is a trigger pack can be swapped between guns. You can either get a registered trigger pack, or a registered sear inside a trigger pack.

If you go with the registered sear option, you have more flexibility in that you can turn it into a Navy Burst fire or SEF, and you're not stuck with the same trigger pack as you can move the sear into another if the current trigger pack ever gets damaged or you want to upgrade, etc. And as long as you go with a high end sear that was heat treated and carbon, odds of it breaking are slim to none. However if you ever need any work done on the trigger you must use a gun smith as the customer trigger boxes for just a registered are close to factory, but not quite.

On the other hand if you go with a DLO trigger pack, it's the pack itself that's registered, not the sear. So you can fill it with all HK factory parts, including a new sear if needed (I'm sure you need to destroy or surrender the old one), and as it's factory spec it's cheaper and easier to repair or fix. The registered trigger packs come in the SEF configuration and can't be modified to add burst (I know there is some debate on the legality of that, but to be safe you shouldn't go drilling and modifying them).

Speaking of legality, no matter if you get a trigger pack or sear, it MUST be registered for multiple calibers on the paperwork and you can only use it with the calibers listed. Then you shouldn't have problem moving from 9mm to 308 in a host gun.

One big question I have - can any HK host gun take a DLO trigger pack and a customer trigger pack w/ a registered sear in it? I've been unable to find any solid info on that, and I can find a ton of guns that work with sear packs, but I don't know how to find one that works w/ a DLO pack - or do you just buy any standard HK semi auto and swap it out?

Another thing i think is true is some consider a DLO more of a collectors item as it uses factory original parts?

And a push pin swing down receiver - does that work like a DLO in that the receiver is registered with HK and therefore any part can be exchanged for a factory one? If i understand it correctly, the difference between the swing down and DLO is a DLO is just the trigger pack and can go into any host gun whereas as swing down receiver can only work with HK guns registered to work with the push pin model?

Note: this is not a debate between which is better or should be priced more, etc. That's ultimately a personal preference. I'm really just trying to make sure I understand the facts before I make a large investment in the platform, and I'm getting conflicting information and this topic is very deep and complex.

Thank you very much in advance for any advice or info you can provide.

Brian
    Way too many issues for me to address all at once. Here are some. DLO can be modified to go in burst. Far more difficult and risky than people portray it to be. I know of actual conversions by respected builders that have gone bad. Sears or packs, use them with any caliber host, doesn’t matter if those calibers are listed on the paperwork. Packs can be used in any roller locked HK rifles and MP style pistols. No modifications are necessary, other than maybe an E gun. The parts in registered packs are just parts, you don’t destroy anything. Push pin guns are what they are and you can switch lowers on them at will. Lastly, that dealer is an idiot.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)

Care to name the idiot?
    HK HK HK HK HK HK HK .. U.S.A Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caf82313 View Post
    Care to name the idiot?
    I suspect that dealer has three sears he’s got listed for sale.

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

The sears or packs do not need to be 'registered in three calibers' to be used with other calibers, but occasionally you will find a registered sear that is 'married' to the host, and must be 'divorced'. This generally means that the host weapon must be SBRd, because if you remove a registered sear and put it in another host, you have manufactured an illegal SBR as it started life as a rifle, but now has a short barrel. It's also important to note that there are sear guns or registered trigger packs that cannot be divorced, so it's important to know what you are buying.

DLO boxes seem to command a premium, mostly due to the fact that they can be moved between weapons like a sear, the owner can proudly proclaim it to be 'all German'. For those of us who just like to shoot, that last bit isn't important, and a registered sear is just fine.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    ...and a registered sear is just fine.
    Or better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the advice everyone. Definitely a fun topic to dig into! Any good books I should read? It's hard trying to piece it all together across the internet and it seems like I still have a bit to learn.

As for the site - autoweapons.com

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)

Thanks for the advice everyone. Definitely a fun topic to dig into! Any good books I should read? It's hard trying to piece it all together across the internet and it seems like I still have a bit to learn.

As for the site - autoweapons.com

The Complete Reference on the Legal NFA Conversion of HK Firearms

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks! I've read through it and that's where I got the impression registered trigger packs are ideal, followed by push-pin swing downs - from a legal standpoint for shooting multiple calibers. That said it's pretty advanced for me given my current understanding so I got lost a fair amount. Is there a for dummies version? :-)

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)

Thanks! I've read through it and that's where I got the impression registered trigger packs are ideal, followed by push-pin swing downs - from a legal standpoint for shooting multiple calibers. That said it's pretty advanced for me given my current understanding so I got lost a fair amount. Is there a for dummies version? :-)
    That link is the high dive into the deep end. Really has to be reread several times for the stuff to sink in. As far as shooting multiple calibers, trigger pack and sears are the same, push pin is severely handicapped.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links