Suppressed HK 53

Thread: Suppressed HK 53

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Suppressed HK 53

Does a hk 53 have issues being suppressed? I’m getting ready to buy one and really only want one if I can suppress it. Thanks

Merchant of Death (Admin)
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

That is a big "it depends." You are dealing with a very short barrel. So the first thing that you want to do is make sure that your chosen ammunition is actually delivering a stabilized projectile out of the short barrel. Don't just take somebody's word that XXX runs great with no problems. Personally verify that a given round is stable in your gun. That is step one and will minimize the possibility of baffle strikes. Next up is the fact that there is a lot of powder being burned outside of the barrel in a 53 configuration. We all know that the resulting fireball is a crowd pleaser! But with a can on the end, that means that powder could be burning in the can. There are many modern can designs that deal with this circumstance with ZERO issue. There are some can designs that do not. If this was my rig, I would be looking for a can that specifically states that it is designed for use with your barrel length. That design would include premium baffle materials and a welded build. At least for me.

Wondering what happened to your posts???
    Please take a moment to re-read the terms that
    you agreed to
    when you signed up:
    Hidden Content .

Help bring sense to the NFA world, join Hidden Content .

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

I agree that you should verify bullet stability, though I believe it to be a result of proper twist rate for the length of the projectile, rather than length of barrel. Firing through a cardboard box with dividers is a good way to check for keyholing.

You might also consider using a #7 or #8 locking piece when suppressed as the can creates back pressure akin to a longer barrel.

For me, a 53 style in 300blk fit the bill. I have other 5.56 options. 5.56 is not as satisfying to suppress, though I really like my 33k suppressed.

Another consideration when looking at cans would be mounting options if you have a 15x1 threading on the muzzle. The majors all have an offering, but it's comparatively limited.
    Last edited by kbinmt; 03-04-2018 at 02:26 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I already have the can. It’s a SilencerCo saker K. I can buy a 15mn x 1 right hand muzzle device. I was going to have TPM Outfitters built the 53 for me. They said they will need me to send them the can so they can set the 53 to run properly with the it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes but its going to be problematic for the list of considerations straightgrain mentioned. The 53 is already finicky enough to begin but where it shines is its level of firepower in such a compact size...adding a suppressor of any length takes away form what its supposed to be IMO. Regardless if you suppress it or not...its going to be loud as hell either way.

PBR
    Last edited by PBRstreetgang; 03-05-2018 at 04:47 PM.
    We like to feel that we can get out

of trouble quicker than we got into it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do you think it would be better to get a 33k instead?

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

All the above and make sure the twist rate of barrel is 1:7. Slower twist rates will not stabilize the bullet, at least based on my experiences. Also, stay with 55gr bullets, if you go heavier you will have problems or at least I did.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

JBM - Calculations - Stability

Bullet length and twist rate are major components of stability. By all means get a 1-7 twist rate as it will stabilize 55-77gr projos.
    Last edited by kbinmt; 03-04-2018 at 09:05 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stocknoc View Post
    Do you think it would be better to get a 33k instead?
    I sold my 53 years ago...and now have a 33k which is one of my favorite shooters. One very important note regarding 33k's...as others have mentioned, if you're doing a conversion from german hk93 to 33k, be careful and either have a new 1/7 twist barrel installed or find a hk93 with "178" stamped on the barrel which is a factory german 1/7 twist barrel. If you don't have a "178" barrel...you''ll have a 33k with 1/12 twist which is going to have a hard time stabilizing 55gr and over.

PBR

Sponsored Links