MP5SD Suppressor? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: MP5SD Suppressor?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raufus View Post
    These are pics of an original HK factory can. There are a couple versions as far as I know but this is typical and typical markings....

(I'm a former FFL/SOT and this is a pre-sample can.)

Attachment 209916Attachment 209918

You can enlarge the pic and see the different textures on different parts of the can.

The factory cans work well but are designed for a limited life after which they are replaced. That said, I've fired many thousands of rounds through the a single factory can w/o issue. The absolute key to the SD is to use the HK SD barrel port cleaning brush/tool every 300 or so rounds. Take the can off, clean the ports, light lube on the seal, can back on, fire away. If one neglects to do this the can will eventually be virtually impossible to remove due to fouling build up. The SD is a fantastic but dirty gun. The ports simply have to be cleaned every 300 or so rounds to enable easy removal of the can. The can should be gently tapped on a table from the breech end and brushed out as well.

I believe that by far the best cans for the SD are the KAC Navy cans. They are far more robust and quieter than the HK cans. However, they are far more expensive as well. From memory, the LE catalogs of the day listed the MP5SD w/the standard can for around $2250 and the KAC SD Navy can alone for over $1000.

This is a still NIB factory KAC SD Navy can. This is the real deal, original production and marked accordingly. Note the characteristic dimpling of this can. It's extremely similar to that of the original can for the MK23 which was also made by KAC.

Attachment 209920Attachment 209922Attachment 209924

These original, genuine KAC Navy cans have become quite collectible and expensive. A few years back a group of shooters and collectors got a large enough order together for KAC to do another run. Those cans are newer and possibly even better however they are not marked like this one w/the original, correct SD Navy markings. Being US made both are fully transferable. I think that they are the best SD cans ever made - and they're priced accordingly.

So, ironically, while a non-FFL/SOT can't own an original, German HK aluminium can anyone who can legally buy CIII items can own the best can that HK themselves ever offered for the SD - the KAC Navy can.

Edited: I just pulled out an HK Govt/LE/Distributor price list from 2003. Item 090016, MP5SD3: LE price $2444. Item 081304 MP5SD-N(w/SSS) (KAC Navy sound suppressor #701699) $3115.
    Really appreciate the info and pics! That's some really helpful insight!

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

B&T US also offers suppressors for the HK MP5SD in a regular and compact version , I think B&T offering is subcontracted to HK USA, and are made in GA HK facility . PM me if your interested in one of this .

cheers

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I have the B&T (presample), KAC, and TPM.

I like the B&T the most, followed by the TPM. The KAC is 2.5x in cost, the loudest of the three, and looks goofy with a 1.375 diameter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I considered a SD before I got my MP5. I owned a post dealer sample MP5SD and am glad I didn’t go that route. Lot of gas in the face and one of the dirtiest guns you will ever see!! I hated cleaning that thing to the point it never got shot. A regular MP5 with a can and subsonic ammo will keep you happy!! Just my 2 cents...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by siks View Post
    Really appreciate the info and pics! That's some really helpful insight!

Most welcome! Glad you found it helpful.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    I have the B&T (presample), KAC, and TPM.

I like the B&T the most, followed by the TPM. The KAC is 2.5x in cost, the loudest of the three, and looks goofy with a 1.375 diameter.
    B&T is great to be sure.

Which KAC do you have?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FNFNC View Post
    I considered a SD before I got my MP5. I owned a post dealer sample MP5SD and am glad I didn’t go that route. Lot of gas in the face and one of the dirtiest guns you will ever see!! I hated cleaning that thing to the point it never got shot. A regular MP5 with a can and subsonic ammo will keep you happy!! Just my 2 cents...

No doubt that the SD is dirty. Totally agree re: gas in the face, esp. if doing fire suppression/leap frog and the like.

The only advantage of the SD over a standard MP5 w/a can is that you can use standard velocity ammo which it will suppress nicely as it drops the velocity and the center of gravity is closer to the shooter. So, when carrying it for a long time, going to long schools, shooting it a lot in a given day/sitting it is easier to hold and creates less back strain than a regular gun w/a can due to the center of gravity being closer to the body. It's a super easy gun to shoot and very quiet.

That said, a regular MP5 w/a good can is more versatile and far cleaner. I shoot my MP5F w/a can far more than my SD - for the very reasons that you state.
    FNFNC likes this.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raufus View Post
    B&T is great to be sure.

Which KAC do you have?
    AFAIK, there is only 1 KAC can for the MP5SD. Mine was from the run Cliff did a few years back.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by siks View Post
    I'm struggling to figure out what exactly is the factory HK MP5SD suppressor, and if anyone has any pics of what one should look like, it would be a big help.
    While this configuration is not being offered in the US, here is how the MP5SD is delivered to the Swiss Army.

siks likes this.
    “Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
    — Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Any idea what the optic is here?

[/QUOTE]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links