MP5SD SEF to MP5K Ambi Navy
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SudS

Thread: MP5SD SEF to MP5K Ambi Navy

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default MP5SD SEF to MP5K Ambi Navy

I have a MP5SD two stamp gun with a Fleming sear and S&H suppressor in a SEF NON ambi pack. I want to transfer it to my MP5K pistol with an AMBI NAVY pack. I have done my research and cannot find a definitive answer to the legalities of this. When I take the sear out of the SEF pack, some have told me the pack is still considered a sear by itself and must be destroyed or sent to a gunsmith, is this true?

After removing the sear from my MP5SD, does the MP5SD become a pistol?

After installing the sear in an MP5K PISTOL, does this make it a "machine gun" therefore legally able to put a stock and VFG on?

Appreciate the help in navigating this topic.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)

See answers below. Recognize that my answers address Federal issues and your state/local laws may need further consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by sotic View Post
    I have a MP5SD two stamp gun with a Fleming sear and S&H suppressor in a SEF NON ambi pack. I want to transfer it to my MP5K pistol with an AMBI NAVY pack. I have done my research and cannot find a definitive answer to the legalities of this. When I take the sear out of the SEF pack, some have told me the pack is still considered a sear by itself and must be destroyed or sent to a gunsmith, is this true? Yes. And I presume two stamps apply to the suppressor and sear. And there are many trigger pack parts you can still use, just not the trigger frame...unless you install another sear in it.

After removing the sear from my MP5SD, does the MP5SD become a pistol? No, unless it started life as a pistol (clone). If it was an HK 94, then you would have to first SBR the gun (unless you installed a 16” barrel or extension).

After installing the sear in an MP5K PISTOL, does this make it a "machine gun" therefore legally able to put a stock and VFG on? Yes, but only while the sear is installed.

Appreciate the help in navigating this topic.
    Last edited by SudS; 08-07-2018 at 07:31 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SudS View Post
    See answers below. Recognize that my answers address Federal issues and your state/local laws may need further consideration.
    Thanks for the info! So with that in mind, if I did swap the sear to an ambi Navy MP5K pack and destroyed the SEF frame, I could at this point put the pack in this housing and have it function in my MP5SD again? My whole point of this is to put the sear in one pack that will function in everything from my MP5K to my HK91 with just a housing swap.

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/view...dproduct=18197

Will this housing work with an extended ambi selector as well?

Thanks for all your help.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)

Presuming you have a Navy trigger group for your k (not yet modified for a sear) with extended ambi selector made for the Navy pack. Do you already have the Navy lower?

Thanks for the info! So with that in mind, if I did swap the sear to an ambi Navy MP5K pack and destroyed the SEF frame, I could at this point put the pack in this housing and have it function in my MP5SD again? My whole point of this is to put the sear in one pack that will function in everything from my MP5K to my HK91 with just a housing swap.

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/view...dproduct=18197

Will this housing work with an extended ambi selector as well?

Thanks for all your help.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

As SudS said if the gun started out as a HK 94 you will need to sbr it. I'm guessing the paperwork for the sear lists installed in x gun with x serial on it? Generally you would write a letter to the atf saying you are seperating the sear from the married gun by way of the form 1.

Can't answer the question about the extra sear ready pack but its worth saying the sear isn't going to just drop into the other pack, you will want a gunsmith to install it. You can always send them the entire pack and let them deal with it.

Yes the pack can be moved from the K gun to the 308. You will need different trigger housings for the various guns and need to swap the ejector lever(you have the 9mm, the 40/10, the 5.56, and the 308 ones). You also may or may not need to swap the hammer spring going from 9mm to 308.

Depending on the gun the pack itself might have to be modified some. I believe some of belt fed guns will need the pack modified and Mike Woodward said something about needing to modify my pack for my sp5k(I have a fleming sear pending).

Another thing to consider would be to use a ambi burst pack instead since you are going to have to buy new parts. Upgrade it to give you the most options, it should help it sell a little faster in the future if its in that too.

Also as SudS said yes you can have the VFG on the mp5k style pistol and a stock when the sear is installed. Personally though I'd say just sbr it so you don't have to return it to pistol config when you pull your sear back out of it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Presuming you have a Navy trigger group for your k (not yet modified for a sear) with extended ambi selector made for the Navy pack. Do you already have the Navy lower?
    Yes, i have an Ambi Extended Navy lower housing for the K but have not yet gotten the frame. I am going to have both frames sent to a smith and the swap done. At that point, with a 308 hammer spring in the pack, I could presumably swap the ejector levers and move this from MP5SD to MP5 to HK93 using that Navy frame I linked above? I want to make sure the above frame will in fact work with an ambi selector lever because it does not specify. Thanks for all the help!
    Last edited by sotic; 08-10-2018 at 05:17 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ccosby View Post
    As SudS said if the gun started out as a HK 94 you will need to sbr it. I'm guessing the paperwork for the sear lists installed in x gun with x serial on it? Generally you would write a letter to the atf saying you are seperating the sear from the married gun by way of the form 1.

Can't answer the question about the extra sear ready pack but its worth saying the sear isn't going to just drop into the other pack, you will want a gunsmith to install it. You can always send them the entire pack and let them deal with it.

Yes the pack can be moved from the K gun to the 308. You will need different trigger housings for the various guns and need to swap the ejector lever(you have the 9mm, the 40/10, the 5.56, and the 308 ones). You also may or may not need to swap the hammer spring going from 9mm to 308.

Depending on the gun the pack itself might have to be modified some. I believe some of belt fed guns will need the pack modified and Mike Woodward said something about needing to modify my pack for my sp5k(I have a fleming sear pending).

Another thing to consider would be to use a ambi burst pack instead since you are going to have to buy new parts. Upgrade it to give you the most options, it should help it sell a little faster in the future if its in that too.

Also as SudS said yes you can have the VFG on the mp5k style pistol and a stock when the sear is installed. Personally though I'd say just sbr it so you don't have to return it to pistol config when you pull your sear back out of it.
    Thanks for the info. I do have Form 1s pending for my SP5k, and now will drop one for my SD as well so I can return it to original condition even with the sear out.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)

Yes, i have an Ambi Extended Navy lower housing for the K but have not yet gotten the frame. I am going to have both frames sent to a smith and the swap done. At that point, with a 308 hammer spring in the pack, I could presumably swap the ejector levers and move this from MP5SD to MP5 to HK93 using that Navy frame I linked above? I want to make sure the above frame will in fact work with an ambi selector lever because it does not specify. Thanks for all the help!
    As long as you have the three position Navy trigger pack, plus the ambi selector lever set (two pieces) specifically for the Navy pack, and you get the three position Navy pictogram plastic housing (white bullet, single red bullet, and a string of bullets), you should be good to go.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

As long as you have the three position Navy trigger pack, plus the ambi selector lever set (two pieces) specifically for the Navy pack, and you get the three position Navy pictogram plastic housing (white bullet, single red bullet, and a string of bullets), you should be good to go.
    Please listen to ^^^^^^^....he's pulled me out of a number of jams, and know his stuff. Plus 1^^^^^
    A redneck's famous last words...."Hey everybody, watch this!"

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brad4065 View Post
    Please listen to ^^^^^^^....he's pulled me out of a number of jams, and know his stuff. Plus 1^^^^^
    Nah, I just google stuff and get lucky.
    Brad4065 likes this.

Sponsored Links