So, am I too anal about my MP5SD?

Thread: So, am I too anal about my MP5SD?

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Default So, am I too anal about my MP5SD?

As some here are aware, I picked up a Qualified RRPP MP5SD some time ago. Of course it was made in '85 before all the real MP5 parts became readily available. The suppressor cage was nicely done, but it wasn't a real HK cage. The barrel too was a nice creation, but it too wasn't correct. Plus, it didn't have the correct threading to mount a true HK suppressor. The suppressor was threaded to mate with the Qualified barrel. While everything looked and worked correctly, this non-real stuff bothered me.

Last year I picked up a nice real SD front end and had Mike Woodward replace my non-correct cage and barrel with the real HK parts. I then picked up a KAC suppressor to use with the weapon. That left me with the Qualified suppressor and its mated-to Qualified SD barrel.

My pea brain got to thinking again and I figured my SD would be more correct-er-er (that's a technical term by the way) if I could keep all the Qualified major components forever mated in wedded bliss. I contacted Curtis Higgins and tried to convey my irrational thinking to him. He told me to send him the Qualified suppressor along with the pulled Qualified barrel and he would look it over. He then told me he could rebuild the Qualified suppressor to mate with my now upgraded SD. I decided to give it a go. Well, the rebuilt can came in today and it looks just fine. Besides working on the guts, Curtis replaced the front end cap with a convex type and included a take down tool to disassemble the suppressor from the ass end. It mounts just fine inside a real HK cage threaded onto a real HK barrel. But, it is a heavy bugger as Qualified used a steel tube unlike an HK suppressor which uses an aluminum tube. I guess I need to compromise on this point.
    Last edited by MG34_Dan; 08-18-2018 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
    “Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
    — Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Sounds like you have a awesome set up. I'd leave it be and enjoy what you have, it should last you a lifetime 🙂

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)

You did the right thing. But, sell off the not-quite-right components and don’t look back. Once you go factory correct, you can’t go back.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SudS View Post
    You did the right thing. But, sell off the not-quite-right components and don’t look back. Once you go factory correct, you can’t go back.
    Actually, the Qualified suppressor could be your range workhorse, use the KAC for special shoots or just when you want to show it off.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

You can always grab the b&t suppressor which should be one of the closest clone wise and its thicker than the kac can. That or find someone with one of Mike's cans for sale as he copied the HK can. Sadly he doesn't have the materials to build anymore and doesn't plan to due to the options on the market. I talked to him about it earlier this year because the B&T's were out of stock(Mike has a mp5sd of mine waiting on form 4 that he made). Mike ended up pointing me to a dealer with nib kac can.

Personally I'd stick with the kac can. That or maybe buy a tpm outfitters or b&t suppressor.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)

You made the correct choice--- I am particular about all of my firearms!!!

Tony

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I'd say this is quite a problem you have here:)
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NFATCA Member

Sponsored Links