KAC USP-t Suppressor dB levels. It’s actually quiet! - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: KAC USP-t Suppressor dB levels. It’s actually quiet!

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I can only imagine how uncomfortable the Rugged Obsidian 45 is in the K configuration for your ear drum.

Baseline firearm was 161.8dB average. That means at the ear it only reduced 22dB. The KAC would result at 27.2dB in reduction with only the small added length of 3/4” of a inch in total length. And a additional 2.4 ounces in weight while being all steel in construction.

This all equates to the KAC being nearly 4 times quieter, and 2 times less sound pressure.

But let’s not talk about that, we all know the KAC is loud! And old technology lol
    Last edited by tps3443; 09-25-2018 at 06:23 PM.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

I think it's valid to consider why a suppressor was designed and and created. Was it to equip a military or to supply a commercial demand? It appears there are divergent requirements between the two purposes. One requires reliability under extreme circumstances at risk of great loss if failure occurs. The other just needs to make it past the point of sale.
    D9M9TR9S likes this.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by D9M9TR9S View Post
    That's what happens when a suppressor is made specifically for the pistol its on and for a specific purpose. There hasn't been more time and R&D put into a suppressor like this before and I dare say after KAC made these. All others are it's children, the Legend will forever live on.
    This

Tuning is so specific there are different boosters for Mark 23 and USP.
    D9M9TR9S likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Guys I may purchase a dB meter. This is a great topic, and I feel if I did some testing at muzzle and at ear. Using my own USP, and KAC suppressor. And posted the findings in YouTube.

It looks like a really good used sound meter, can be had for less than $700.

Tuning a suppressor for a specific host is paramount. The Mark 23 and USP 45 are within 1dB utilizing a KAC suppressor.

With ^ that said, if you have either host. I wouldn’t look at another option for sound suppression.

134-135dB at the ear is about as good as it gets for .45 acp.

If your just concerned with showing off to bystanders, I’d buy something else, or run it wet!

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

TPS3443, have you ran your KAC can wet yet? If not, bring an extra pair of undies cause it only gets sweeter :-)
    There is some back splash, but who doesn't like it a little messy?

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tps3443 View Post
    I can only imagine how uncomfortable the Rugged Obsidian 45 is in the K configuration for your ear drum.

Baseline firearm was 161.8dB average. That means at the ear it only reduced 22dB. The KAC would result at 27.2dB in reduction with only the small added length of 3/4” of a inch in total length. And a additional 2.4 ounces in weight while being all steel in construction.

This all equates to the KAC being nearly 4 times quieter, and 2 times less sound pressure.

But let’s not talk about that, we all know the KAC is loud! And old technology lol
    My plan was always to get a KAC can, but I had considered getting the rugged Obsidian 45 in addition as a "beater" can I could throw on all my hosts with the proper adapter... That was the plan until I had the chance to demo one anyway haha. After going through the rigmarole of changing between calibers and long/short configuration while trying not to burn myself I decided it was a no go and each host would have their own proper (KAC/B&T/Etc.) can with the proper attachment mechanism.

... Now all that to say... when I was demoing the Obsidian 45 (I should point out I was at an Indoor Range) I shot it Long/Short on a VP9 and Long/Short on a Glock 21 (No adapter for Metric 45 Thread). I did not have a meter with me, but the short configuration was pretty close to what I would consider "Hearing Safe" with the Glock 21 and definitely "Hearing Safe" with the VP9. Long config was obviously fine with both, but curiously the Glock 21 would not go back into battery without tilting the gun forward sometimes and that was enough to scare me away I guess on top of the modular nightmare.

If people are truly interested/want to know exact numbers in a controlled environment (indoor range w/ no external noise sources) for an Obsidian 45 can in Long/Short configuration and a KAC can on any of my .45 pistols (Mark 23 / USPT45 / USPCT45 / HK45T) I am more than willing to get a hold of the proper sound meter (I have access to a very nice one through my work) and run some tests. Just would like to gauge interest before I began and I am not sure If you have access to your can yet... I don't mean to steal your thunder if you do :)
    BYSAWHY likes this.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rhawley56 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tps3443 View Post

My plan was always to get a KAC can, but I had considered getting the rugged Obsidian 45 in addition as a "beater" can I could throw on all my hosts with the proper adapter... That was the plan until I had the chance to demo one anyway haha. After going through the rigmarole of changing between calibers and long/short configuration while trying not to burn myself I decided it was a no go and each host would have their own proper (KAC/B&T/Etc.) can with the proper attachment mechanism.

... Now all that to say... when I was demoing the Obsidian 45 (I should point out I was at an Indoor Range) I shot it Long/Short on a VP9 and Long/Short on a Glock 21 (No adapter for Metric 45 Thread). I did not have a meter with me, but the short configuration was pretty close to what I would consider "Hearing Safe" with the Glock 21 and definitely "Hearing Safe" with the VP9. Long config was obviously fine with both, but curiously the Glock 21 would not go back into battery without tilting the gun forward sometimes and that was enough to scare me away I guess on top of the modular nightmare.

If people are truly interested/want to know exact numbers in a controlled environment (indoor range w/ no external noise sources) for an Obsidian 45 can in Long/Short configuration and a KAC can on any of my .45 pistols (Mark 23 / USPT45 / USPCT45 / HK45T) I am more than willing to get a hold of the proper sound meter (I have access to a very nice one through my work) and run some tests. Just would like to gauge interest before I began and I am not sure If you have access to your can yet... I don't mean to steal your thunder if you do :)

DO IT!!! Lol. Your the man! If you’ve got the host, and cans, and equipment.

No thunder stolen my friend, it’s going to be a while before I get my KAC suppressor.

No one in existence has metered a USP with a KAC. I think the military arms channel was one of the first to meter the KAC on mk23 on video.

I know the Obsidian 45 in K configuration is hearing safe at the ear dB. But it’s just shy of 140dB. Which is fine.

This thread would really roll over on its head, if you posted such findings lol.

It just hasn’t been done, and there’s so much false information on the KAC suppressors on the internet.

The information you could post doesn’t exist on google, or the internet at all for that matter.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by D9M9TR9S View Post
    TPS3443, have you ran your KAC can wet yet? If not, bring an extra pair of undies cause it only gets sweeter 🙂
    There is some back splash, but who doesn't like it a little messy?
    I have never shot a KAC suppressor. Very sad I know, I just setup my trust after purchase, and it could be as long as 12 months for me. Unfortunately I cannot visit it in jail either.

But I will run it wet once I get it. I can see it now. Lol

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    This

Tuning is so specific there are different boosters for Mark 23 and USP.
    Where were you when I needed you this morning?!

Thought I was cutting a fat hog by replacing my MK23 barrel, with an RCM 16x1LH barrel... I got a USP-T .45 for $799 NEW, thought I could run it on my MK23 AND my USP-Tactical 45... nope. Totally different animals. Booster spring rate of the USP-T45 is 104lbs, and the MK23 is 40lbs... explains why my MK23 is a single-shot pistol with the USP-T45 can on it... sounded cool though... *doh!*
    [Insert Witty Comment Here]

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I gotta stop reading these threads now I need a KAC can lol

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links