MP5 sear question
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: MP5 sear question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default MP5 sear question

Purchased a retimed hammer for use with a Qualified Manufacturing Sear. Looks like the weld for the retiming on the hammer is causing wear on the sear. Someone suggested I have the sear case hardened to resist wear better. My questions are there any other options and if case hardening is the best way who out there is a qualified SOT versed in such things?

Thanks
    Delta-One-Six

"STRENGTH AND HONOR"

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's very interesting. I've not heard of any considerable wear happening on any sear...ever. Would you mind posting some close up pics of the sear so we can get a look? My go-to guy on sear related stuff is Mike Otte, of Michael's Machines. I know he did a lot of work and research on hardening while building his 23e guns. If he doesn't do that work he certainly knows someone who will.

Good luck my friend - and please keep us informed on the outcome. This one is curious indeed.

Mike is @hk21man on this board if you did not know. He's in the vendor section.
    Last edited by Spitfyr; 10-10-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaOneSix View Post
    Purchased a retimed hammer for use with a Qualified Manufacturing Sear. Looks like the weld for the retiming on the hammer is causing wear on the sear. Someone suggested I have the sear case hardened to resist wear better. My questions are there any other options and if case hardening is the best way who out there is a qualified SOT versed in such things?

Thanks
    Yes, pic would help. Any chance you have one of those sears with a block of metal welded on?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfyr View Post
    That's very interesting. I've not heard of any considerable wear happening on any sear...ever. Would you mind posting some close up pics of the sear so we can get a look? My go-to guy on sear related stuff is Mike Otte, of Michael's Machines. I know he did a lot of work and research on hardening while building his 23e guns. If he doesn't do that work he certainly knows someone who will.

Good luck my friend - and please keep us informed on the outcome. This one is curious indeed.

Mike is @hk21man on this board if you did not know. He's in the vendor section.
    +1
    MIke is very good with many things including installing sears and timing hammers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Attached below. The sear has developed a litte bow in it and some rounding wear on the trip engagement side where the hammer connects. Thanks for all the feedback.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MP5 sear question-42464ba0-9111-4b7b-9164-2056bbdc7bb1_1539189372888.jpeg   MP5 sear question-37034d20-abf3-4e5f-a1ec-cc36eac79fa6_1539189384959.jpeg  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another pic a little more clear showing the bow better
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MP5 sear question-952a66ba-2913-452e-8e6f-9d18837f95cb_1539189520242.jpeg  

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Qualified MFG sears are suppose to be heat treated to harden the metal like the Fleming sears.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

"When the people fear the govt there is tyranny, when the govt fears the people there is liberty."
    Thomas Jefferson
    GOA Life Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks all. I emailed Mike Otte at Michael’s Machines to see what he thinks. Looking at buying a re-timed hammer from HKParts. Maybe that is the issue. Look at the old hammer. That isn’t right
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MP5 sear question-6b57826e-95a4-4131-aec9-28f585dba2a3_1539192082560.jpeg  

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaOneSix View Post
    Thanks all. I emailed Mike Otte at Michael’s Machines to see what he thinks. Looking at buying a re-timed hammer from HKParts. Maybe that is the issue. Look at the old hammer. That isn’t right
    The surface on the hammer cut-out looks rough, and I can't be sure from the pics, but it looks like the rough hammer surface has chewed away some material from the sear. If true that's terrible, and I'm glad you caught it when you did as it can be fixed up good as new by a good smith, like Mike.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I'd send the sear and the trigger group you want it in to someone like TSC Machine or S&H and let them set it up. Michael's machine, Dakota tactical(if they do that work), pcs etc would all be other options.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links