Wtk: how to get suppressor endcap off mp5sd barrel threads?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wtk: how to get suppressor endcap off mp5sd barrel threads?

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Wtk: how to get suppressor endcap off mp5sd barrel threads?

So I took my TPM SD out to the range today. An odd thing happened after. I went to unscrew the suppressor and everything came off but the back endcap of the suppressor. It is still on the threads at the base of the barrel. I’ve been fiddling around with it for a while, trying to screw the can back on and then remove it, hoping the entire thing will come off. No luck. Any ideas for how to get the thing off? By the way, I had the suppressor off before shooting today and only put maybe 5 mags through it. I did use a bit of anti seize on the threads where the barrel goes into the back suppressor endcap and where the back end cap screws into the suppressor body. I also put a very small dab of shooters choice grease on the back of the can (where it seats up against the trunion).

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RossinFL View Post
    So I took my TPM SD out to the range today. An odd thing happened after. I went to unscrew the suppressor and everything came off but the back endcap of the suppressor. It is still on the threads at the base of the barrel. I’ve been fiddling around with it for a while, trying to screw the can back on and then remove it, hoping the entire thing will come off. No luck. Any ideas for how to get the thing off? By the way, I had the suppressor off before shooting today and only put maybe 5 mags through it. I did use a bit of anti seize on the threads where the barrel goes into the back suppressor endcap and where the back end cap screws into the suppressor body. I also put a very small dab of shooters choice grease on the back of the can (where it seats up against the trunion).
    The base of the suppressor that attaches to the can, the threads are in the same direction as the threads that screw onto the barrel?

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Get some lock tight put it on suppressor threads and screw can on. Let dry. Do 3-4 mag dumps. Use leather gloves and remove suppressor.
    Spent most of my tax return on Hk parts, booze and ammo....the rest I just wasted

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SudS View Post
    The base of the suppressor that attaches to the can, the threads are in the same direction as the threads that screw onto the barrel?
    That’s a good question. Are they supposed to be? (It would make sense that they would be different directions) When I turn the can the opposite direction it gets very tight. I’ve been reluctant to put more pressure on it for fear of messing something up. So far I have only applied pressure by hand. Unfortunately I don’t remember what direction I twisted when putting it on.
    Last edited by RossinFL; 12-02-2018 at 12:04 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RossinFL View Post
    Anticipating I would do this, I asked TPM. They said contact them.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SudS View Post
    yes, both rh

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    yes, both rh
    Yeah, while I really do like the performance of my TPM SD can, that does seem like a poor design choice. It's practically begging for this to happen. They really should have had the cap threads opposite of the barrel threads.

I've been thinking of putting some locktite on the base cap threads to prevent this exact problem going forward.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Well guys thanks for the input. Looks like I will be calling TPM on Monday.
    Last edited by RossinFL; 12-02-2018 at 04:31 AM.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I hate to hear this, I really am considering a TPM SD suppressor for an MP5 SD conversion. I can’t believe this doesn’t occur more often, it seems to be a design flaw or TPM may have experienced this and have a remedy.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Guys I spoke with TPM today. Their recommendation is to put a very small amount of locative red on the threads and screw the suppressor back in. Wait 15 minutes and then remove the entire suppressor. Presumably the back endcap would come out along with the rest of the suppressor. They then said to carefully use a torch or heat gun to heat up the endcapto assist in breaking the locative red.

Now the odd thing is, I had left the entire can attached to the gun for the past couple days. Today I got my loctite all ready to put the plan into action and to my surprise, this time when removing the can the back endcap came out along with it. Very odd indeed but I’m not complaining.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links