Want an MP5 - again
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Want an MP5 - again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Want an MP5 - again

Hi all,

I had an MP5 in the past. Sold it. Dumb reasons not worth discussing. Looking at my pile of 9MM ammo and thinking how much I liked it and wondering why I did it. But hakuna mattata. It's in the past. So now I want to rectify that error. This time with a bit more research. I do not want a safe queen. I will shoot it. Yet, I want the one that will retain the most value. And I guess I don't want a RR so some form of sear is the path.

Question - is there one particular type of sear or pack that is most likely to be reliable and retain value?

Question - is there one type most usable switching between hosts ala HK 53 as well?

Is clipped and pinned the pinnacle or better served with double push pin??? Don't even really understand the functional differences.

And who is the most reliable dealer I can work with to get a proper MP5 for a fair price?

Thanks for any guidance to this former owner of one yet under-informed buyer.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Get a fleming, qualified, or s&h sear. If it isn't installed in the type of trigger group you want have someone like tsc machine or s&h install it in a pack you want. You can then move it between hosts, for caliber changes you just need to change the ejector level and maybe the hammer spring depending. Setup your hosts with trigger housing that match how the pack with the sear is installed so you can drop it in them.

A double push pin would be a registered gun meaning you have the single machinegun. With a sear installed in a pack you can move the mg to multiple hosts like the 53 you want.

Premium Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyBCool View Post
    And who is the most reliable dealer I can work with to get a proper MP5 for a fair price?
    I would say Ruben. Will not be the cheapest path but is pretty widely regarded as one of the most reliable
    https://dealernfa.com/product-category/machine-guns/hk/
    - UMP SBR .45
    - PCS-9 MP5 SBR OD Green
    - PTR-91 J.L.D.
    - HK45T OD Green
    - HK45 x2 - OD Green, Black
    - HK45CT
    - HK45C Tan
    - P30LS
    - P30S Grey
    - P30SK
    - VP9 LE FDE
    - VP9SK LE
    - G36 22LR (Walther)
    - MP5 A5 22LR (Walther)

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks guys. I did check out his site and he seems to have a good selection. Thinking of one of the ones he has with Qualified sear and trigger pack which I guess meets all the criteria. Sure wish I had my old one. They weren't $40K ish then. I guess that's the going rate for a quality version.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Default Want an MP5 - again

Sear should be around $30k, maybe a bit more ($32k) from someone well-known in the community, maybe a bit less ($29k) from a private seller. Hosts cost what you want to pay, from clone to all-German HK. It shouldn’t cost $40k for a sear and host unless you are looking for the Ruben experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyBCool View Post
    Thanks guys. I did check out his site and he seems to have a good selection. Thinking of one of the ones he has with Qualified sear and trigger pack which I guess meets all the criteria. Sure wish I had my old one. They weren't $40K ish then. I guess that's the going rate for a quality version.
    John at NFA sales had a k gun with sear for like 37k I think. I'd check with him as well to see what he has incoming.

I think if you looked around you could find a good full sized hk94 converted to mp5 with a sear for less than 40k without too much effort. Hell you could prob buy the sear separate and find a hk94 and have someone convert it to a sear ready semi mp5 and come out cheaper and have a nice refinished gun that is ready to run.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ccosby View Post
    John at NFA sales had a k gun with sear for like 37k I think. I'd check with him as well to see what he has incoming.

I think if you looked around you could find a good full sized hk94 converted to mp5 with a sear for less than 40k without too much effort. Hell you could prob buy the sear separate and find a hk94 and have someone convert it to a sear ready semi mp5 and come out cheaper and have a nice refinished gun that is ready to run.
    Is HK still manufacturing and selling SP5K’s?

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I sold my MP5 with a Qualified sear about 5 years ago, and prices like that make it easy to pass on ever trying to get a replacement.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dwillHK View Post
    I sold my MP5 with a Qualified sear about 5 years ago, and prices like that make it easy to pass on ever trying to get a replacement.
    Bought my first MG for $12k, sold it, then paid $15k for the next one. At the time I couldn’t imagine paying more. Then I paid $21k for one, then $24k for another...it kinda creeps up on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Supporting Vendor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Question - is there one particular type of sear or pack that is most likely to be reliable and retain value?

DLO registered packs seem to be at the top of the pyramid. Fleming and SH sears next. Reg rec. next. The least desirable is the unreg. sear which is married to a reg. receiver (the form 4 will have the receivers info on it instead of the sears in the pertinent fields). To be honest it prob. means very little functional difference of which you get. The above concerns market values only.

Question - is there one type most usable switching between hosts ala HK 53 as well?

They are all fine concerning moving a pack/sear from host to host.

Is clipped and pinned the pinnacle or better served with double push pin??? Don't even really understand the functional differences.

clipped and pinned refers to the plastic grip housing only really. Pinned = cosmetic= fake pin glued onto the housing. Clipped means the full auto housing has been modified to fit on a hk host that has a shelf (all of them basically). Otherwise it wouldnt fit. Double push pin means the front pinhole is open and usable and no shelf exists- this is closest to factory gun. ATF hasnt allowed the removal of shelves or open front pinholes in a very long time. Some were grandfathered in. These are the most desirable forms of registered receivers (moreso than say unreg. sear guns married to a reg rec. host).

OK. If you go with a dealer you will pay more. But you know that. Ruben Mendiola has the reputation of having the best guns in inventory but also most expensive guns. Frank at Midwest tactical has reputation of having low cost but sometimes crappy (listed ads or in reality) guns, often brokered.The price difference bt these two extremes of dealers would be about $5,000 on a MP5. Indiv. seller prices are all over the place but in general are more negotiable on price and cheaper but you have the vet the seller yourself basically-or find a MG friend to do that on your behalf. It's not really difficult unless you are uninformed which in case you can really get screwed--by say mistakenly purchasing and paying for a reg. sear gun and discovering you in fact bought a married unreg. sear reg. rec. gun!

If you are price sensitive and looking for a shooter grade gun and have the time and want to make the effort then I'd encourage you to poke around in the indiv. seller market. If however you want easy effortless , price insensitive hand holding then go with a dealer and pay a bit more. This of course affects your ROI later if you sell and you did mention holding its value as a concern of yours.

Prices have softened here in MG land over the last couple years . I think its a buyers market - relatively speaking. They are still dang expensive of course.

For a shooter grade gun I'd pick a clone and buy a sear already in a SEF pack and just be done with it. the sear is where the "holding value " is at--hosts generally dont appreciate much if at all. LOTS of MP5 host models out there now. Its a candy store full of them ranging from $1,400 up to $6,000. I'd say avoid Coharie , bobcat, special weapons if this is your first host to deal with. There sometimes is a bit of "fitting" to get a pack to run right in a host and host quality varies tremendously.

Hope that helps some. Others may differ on the specifics and my statements about these dealers and dealer v. indiv buys , etc. I'm not advocating for one better than the other- just stating what the lay of the land is more or less.
    Dbealmear likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links