HK 94 to SBR Considerations - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: HK 94 to SBR Considerations

Supporting Vendor

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dbj2003 View Post
    Out of curiosity what is the disadvantage of going this route?
    Not as good as a spec. replacement barrel and you lose the value of you 94 barrel.
    I would install a factory MP5 barrel.
    All depends what you are after.
    MM

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SudS View Post
    Time machine. I worked in a gun shop from the mid 80's to mid 90's. I probably owned about two or three pistols. Economy was really bad and I had no money. A couple of the guys who also worked in the shop were LE and were into full auto (the shop was not Class 3). One of these guys in particular was pushing me to buy an MP5, told me they were cool and the prices were going up. He bought his sear gun for around $1,700. I didn't know crap about them, nothing. Most education back then was either word of mouth or Shotgun News. He subscribed to Machine Gun News. After one deal didn't go through, I decided to use the credit card and bought a Vollmer MP5-A3 sear gun with plastic SEF for $2,550 + $10 shipping. Then it began. A year later this guy shows me the Machine Gun News advertisement by Dan Shea advertising sears for $475 ($375 to FFLs). There wasn't this huge distinction between clip on RRs and sears, other than you knew a sear was better because you could move it around. There was no internet and most of the population didn't even know full auto was legal. Most long time gun people didn't know full auto was legal. Gun shows typically would not allow those dirty low life Class 3 dealers to display. Even the SHOT Show for years wouldn't let evil "black guns" to be displayed. The next sear after that cost me $650 and the one after that was about $1k from Vollmer (plus another $1k for his 53 build on my 93). Then there was the $1,100 for the AUG sear (yes, cost more than an HK sear). So there you have it. I was pushed down the rabbit hole by a county police officer. Without him, I wouldn't be wondering where on earth I'm storing all this crap.
    I love hearing stories like this. I remember Shotgun News advertisements in the late 80s for a MP5 with Fleming sear for $1,595. I wanted one so bad and even had the money but wasn't 21 yet. Asked my dad, but he refused to buy stating that it was a waste of money and to just buy a cheaper semi-auto instead. He also used to mock Jeff Bezos and Amazon in the late 1990s stating that it would fail.
    Last edited by maxfaxdude; 01-18-2019 at 07:23 PM.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maxfaxdude View Post
    I remember Shotgun News advertisements in the late 80s for a MP5 with Fleming sear for $1,595.
    $1595, what a ripof, I paid far less post-86!

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    $1595, what a ripof, I paid far less post-86!

I think he was talking about a full up MP5 w/sear. That add was something like 1992/3?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I think he was talking about a full up MP5 w/sear. That add was something like 1992/3?
    RIF fail on my part.

Either way, $1595 for a MP5+sear was not the best price you could get. Time machine, I need one.
    GHEN likes this.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    RIF fail on my part.

Either way, $1595 for a MP5+sear was not the best price you could get. Time machine, I need one.
    I'm sure better deals were around. But the Shotgun News was just the most accessible to me. Also remember that in the 1980s, without the benefit of the internet, NFA knowledge was scarce, guns were scarcer and many HK replacement parts were almost impossible to find.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maxfaxdude View Post
    I'm sure better deals were around. But the Shotgun News was just the most accessible to me. Also remember that in the 1980s, without the benefit of the internet, NFA knowledge was scarce, guns were scarcer and many HK replacement parts were almost impossible to find.
    Yep, Shotgun News was my goto source for all things guns back then.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

As far as the question on barrels I do agree with Mike's Machines that if you swap the barrel, use a real hk mp5 barrel and don't throw on an aftermarket as an aftermarket will lower the guns value. As far as converting the stock barrel or swapping in a mp5 one? I honestly don't see a big difference. If you have TSC or anyone else that knows what they are doing do the cutdown it will be fine. The later mp5 barrels will have the 16 flute design vs the hk94 which is either 12 or 14 but it really shouldn't matter. Also depends on what mp5 you are cloning. One of mine has a cut down 94 barrel, the other has a mp5f barrel along with the bolt group and stock. Most people are going to care more that the guns all german.

I was pushed down the rabbit hole by a county police officer. Without him, I wouldn't be wondering where on earth I'm storing all this crap.
    Just throwing this out there man but I take donations...
    Actually if I knew you had the aug at the last mg shoot I would have asked you to pull it out as I want to try one.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ccosby View Post
    As far as the question on barrels I do agree with Mike's Machines that if you swap the barrel, use a real hk mp5 barrel and don't throw on an aftermarket as an aftermarket will lower the guns value. As far as converting the stock barrel or swapping in a mp5 one? I honestly don't see a big difference. If you have TSC or anyone else that knows what they are doing do the cutdown it will be fine. The later mp5 barrels will have the 16 flute design vs the hk94 which is either 12 or 14 but it really shouldn't matter. Also depends on what mp5 you are cloning. One of mine has a cut down 94 barrel, the other has a mp5f barrel along with the bolt group and stock. Most people are going to care more that the guns all german.

Just throwing this out there man but I take donations...
    Actually if I knew you had the aug at the last mg shoot I would have asked you to pull it out as I want to try one.
    I’m not a HK Smith, but I understand there can be more issues with a barrel swap. Some have reported here in the past about getting some drift after a replacement barrel is installed, or an install that doesn’t result in the best bolt gap. Sure, every Smith is going to say they are too skilled to let that happen and it must be one of their “competition” who does that shoddy work, not them. Regardless, that is not typically an issue if you are using the original factory barrel that left the factory in that gun. Now, all that said, all my builds use original factory barrels for the respective builds. In other words, they have all been replaced, not modified barrels from semi guns.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I think the OP may have left this thread a long time ago. But if you're still here, your 94 is meant to have a short barrel. If you want to get the most good out of it, chop it or swap it and deal with the consequences later (which there probably won't be any). It is metal and anything you do to it can be fixed. It is HK so it will always be worth $$$$.

[Back in the day] ... Most long time gun people didn't know full auto was legal. Gun shows typically would not allow those dirty low life Class 3 dealers to display. Even the SHOT Show for years wouldn't let evil "black guns" to be displayed. ...
    ^^@ SudS, funny to think about this now.. it makes me think that once wood stocks were no longer on military arms they all got a lot more evil. Even the gun community shunned the M16, and sub guns? Forget about it. IT just doesn't compute. Did folks just think they were for criminals?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links