HK 94 to SBR Considerations
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 48
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: HK 94 to SBR Considerations

  1. #1
    Junior Member

    Join Date : Jun 2014
    Location : Va Beach, VA
    Posts : 13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default HK 94 to SBR Considerations

    I have a HK 94 I have been considering having TSC up the road do the conversion to MP5/SBR (not selective fire of course) and getting a suppressor. I know that's two tax stamps and I'm ok with that. What are positive and negative points to consider before doing so? It seems after last year and the estate law changes it may be harder to pass on when I pass. I see some posts here that leads me to think it may be more marketable to leave it as a 94 should I ever want to sell it.

  2. #2
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    skullbox's Avatar
    Join Date : Aug 2011
    Location : Orlando, FL
    Posts : 3,099
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Default

    Depending on the condition, you might want to consider selling it and buying something like the Dakota Tactical. A NIB HK94 just sold on GB for something like 15k last week. Say that yours in used condition would fetch around 10k, that would be enough for 2 MP5s with suppressors. Some want the "ALL HK" or authentic HK, but if you're going to shot the thing I wouldn't bother with all that.

  3. #3
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    veritas's Avatar
    Join Date : Nov 2006
    Location : New Hampshire
    Posts : 2,221
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skullbox View Post
    Depending on the condition, you might want to consider selling it and buying something like the Dakota Tactical. A NIB HK94 just sold on GB for something like 15k last week. Say that yours in used condition would fetch around 10k, that would be enough for 2 MP5s with suppressors. Some want the "ALL HK" or authentic HK, but if you're going to shot the thing I wouldn't bother with all that.
    I donít think the going price for a used 94 is anywhere near $10k, if anyone wants to offer me that for either of my 94s, by all means reach out! One or two high NIB sales is not a good indicator, that is a very thin market.

    Itís all idiosyncratic. Some of us want Factory guns, others just want a nicely done and performing clone at a lower price point that they donít have to fret over. To each his own. OP needs to figure out what he wants.

    One piece of advice if you go the Factory receiver build route is you donít need a LNIB host receiver, premier builders will make it new in their build. Point being, if your 94 is quite nice, you might consider a cosmetically less appealing gun. Good luck!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "The problem with socialism is eventually you run out of other people's money" ~ Margaret Thatcher
    NRA Endowment - Life
    GOA Life Member

  4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

  5. #4
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    dwillHK's Avatar
    Join Date : Mar 2006
    Location : South FL, USA
    Posts : 2,993
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

    Default

    I find it difficult to believe that people are paying even 10K for a new unfired, unmodified HK 94, much less 15K. But in any case, when I went the SBR route, I got a Zenith Z-5RS pistol so I could keep my HK94 in the factory condition.

  6. #5
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Brad4065's Avatar
    Join Date : Dec 2009
    Location : That black SUV in your driveway
    Posts : 3,014
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by veritas View Post
    I don’t think the going price for a used 94 is anywhere near $10k, if anyone wants to offer me that for either of my 94s, by all means reach out! One or two high NIB sales is not a good indicator, that is a very thin market.

    It’s all idiosyncratic. Some of us want Factory guns, others just want a nicely done and performing clone at a lower price point that they don’t have to fret over. To each his own. OP needs to figure out what he wants.

    One piece of advice if you go the Factory receiver build route is you don’t need a LNIB host receiver, premier builders will make it new in their build. Point being, if your 94 is quite nice, you might consider a cosmetically less appealing gun. Good luck!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I "think" what he's saying, {and please correct me if I'm wrong} is.....if you have a beater/shooter 94....use that. Don't go the route of a $15K NIB 94, only to be chopped and remarked. You'll never recoup from that......in fact....you'll be WAY in the hole. Just my $.02
    rolandlisalaura likes this.
    A redneck's famous last words...."Hey everybody, watch this!"

  7. #6
    Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    ccosby's Avatar
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    Location : Virginia
    Posts : 449
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Default

    Do it. With exception to some of these strange nib ones the converted guns have always gone for more than the stock ones. TSC does very good work and at the end you will have a gun worth more than it was before conversion and will be more useful as far as shooting goes.

    You could always put it on a trust and add your family to it for estate purposes but it really isn't a big deal for it to transfer after your death.

    So yea I say convert it and enjoy the gun.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad4065 View Post
    I "think" what he's saying, {and please correct me if I'm wrong} is.....if you have a beater/shooter 94....use that. Don't go the route of a $15K NIB 94, only to be chopped and remarked. You'll never recoup from that......in fact....you'll be WAY in the hole. Just my $.02
    Yea you don't need a great condition one for a conversion as its being refinished. For what its worth though I bought a lnib 94 a few months ago for 4500 bucks. You can still find very good condition ones out there. My gun looked unfired and had no marks on the bolt group. If it was fired it was single digit mags. It almost was too nice to cutup, almost.
    Last edited by ccosby; 01-14-2019 at 11:29 PM.

  8. #7
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    veritas's Avatar
    Join Date : Nov 2006
    Location : New Hampshire
    Posts : 2,221
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ccosby View Post
    Yea you don't need a great condition one for a conversion as its being refinished. For what its worth though I bought a lnib 94 a few months ago for 4500 bucks. You can still find very good condition ones out there. My gun looked unfired and had no marks on the bolt group. If it was fired it was single digit mags. It almost was too nice to cutup, almost.
    Yes, in late Nov I bought a like new one with 5 new Factory mags for $4,600. They can be found, just have to have a little patience. It is also on its way to TSC right now.



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  9. #8
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    SudS's Avatar
    Join Date : Jan 2001
    Location : Northern, VA
    Posts : 7,437
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by electraglide08 View Post
    I have a HK 94 I have been considering having TSC up the road do the conversion to MP5/SBR (not selective fire of course) and getting a suppressor. I know that's two tax stamps and I'm ok with that. What are positive and negative points to consider before doing so? It seems after last year and the estate law changes it may be harder to pass on when I pass. I see some posts here that leads me to think it may be more marketable to leave it as a 94 should I ever want to sell it.
    Go with your first instincts and SBR that gun and have TSC do the build. Get the works on the build, decide on a suppressor, and you won’t have a single regret, ever.

  10. #9
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    skullbox's Avatar
    Join Date : Aug 2011
    Location : Orlando, FL
    Posts : 3,099
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by veritas View Post
    I don’t think the going price for a used 94 is anywhere near $10k
    My bad, it was ALMOST 13k for NiB:

    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/793528375

    Another thing to consider about having someone SBR your gun in the lead time. There are plenty of "pistol" version in stock and could be at your FFL in few days. Sending it off could be weeks (at best), but more like months. Hard to say what the NFA wait time will be the partial government shutdown.

  11. #10
    AGG
    AGG is offline
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    AGG's Avatar
    Join Date : Feb 2007
    Location : Alabama
    Posts : 29,205
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skullbox View Post
    My bad, it was ALMOST 13k for NiB:

    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/793528375
    Feedback left by seller, so the deal went through!!!

    Tony

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts