MP5 .40 Suppressor recommendations?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: MP5 .40 Suppressor recommendations?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default MP5 .40 Suppressor recommendations?

I have a MP5 .40 S&W that im finally getting around to getting a suppressor for but was wondering about a few things:

1. Can i use a .45 ACP can? How much db reduction would it do vs a dedicated .40?

2. 3 lug or threaded mount? My MP5 barrel has both but would like to know which is better?

3. Other .40 cal issues vs 9mm that i might overlook as this is my first .40 cal gun

4. Why did SilencerCo pull all their .45 cans?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Discalimer, I don't own a single 10mm or .40 gun...

1) Yes you can absolutely use a .45ACP suppressor. I think you'll find your selection of .40 suppressors really limited. I don't think there will be much dB reduction difference, as there's not a big difference in dB reduction with 9mm in a .45 suppressor (partially due to the volume of .45 suppressors).

2) Personal preference. I prefer 3 lug, as it doesn't back out, it's faster and easier to attach and detach. Threaded will be simpler. Depending on whatever your gun is (clone vs. actual HK), you might have fitment issues with the 3 lug. Note that .40 and 10mm MP5s have a different size 3 lug than 9mm.

3) Yikes, a dicey topic. If you're shooting suppressed, I think subsonic 9mm is easier to find. But again, see the initial disclaimer of I don't own .40.

4) I still see them on their website?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've got an Osprey 40 for my 40 pistols that works well but it's screw on only. I run an AAC Ti-Rant 9 on my MP5 with their 3 lug mount, I prefer suppressors with some sort of retaining device for full auto. You'd probably be fine running a Ti-Rant or Octane 45 with the threaded mount though, just make sure to check the tightness between mags so you don't risk a baffle/end cap strike.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I'd look into getting a Rugged Obsidian 45 with someones 3 lug that fits
    Last edited by Speeddemon02; 03-28-2019 at 04:02 PM.
    HK KI MARK 23
    HK KI USP45 Tactical
    HK BG USP9 Tactical
    HK BG 45 Tactical
    HK BG VP9 Tactical
    HK BG VP9
    HK BG P30
    HK BG P30SK
    HK BG SP5K(MP5K-N)
    TPM MP5F
    TPM P5SD
    MM 23E
    MM 23EK
    MM G36C
    MM G36K
    Looking for BG P30L V3 9mm & BG USP 9 Expert

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

YMMV...

1) Yes, very little or no difference.
    2) I agree, the 3 lug mount is the way to go.
    3) Cost of ammo is the biggest difference. Another possible issue will be the cost and availability of 40 cal/10mm MP5 parts down the road. For shooting 40 cal suppressed try shooting 180 grain or heavier rounds. From what I’ve seen most 180 gr 40 cal rounds are subsonic when shot out of a pistol. I bet they would also be subsonic out of a MP5.
    4) I haven’t seen any evidence of that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Clarification on #4, saw every site stating they are out of stock, so from that I assume they got pulled? or discontinued? or high in demand? Anyone know?

Will subsonic loads cause short strokes? I fired a few factories already, and after 300 rounds, had 2 double feeds/stoves (very certain caused by short strokes).

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    Discalimer, I don't own a single 10mm or .40 gun...

2) Personal preference. I prefer 3 lug, as it doesn't back out, it's faster and easier to attach and detach. Threaded will be simpler. Depending on whatever your gun is (clone vs. actual HK), you might have fitment issues with the 3 lug. Note that .40 and 10mm MP5s have a different size 3 lug than 9mm.
    This is incorrect, the lugs are the same it's the muzzle diameter that differs. I run an old GemTech Raptor-40 on both 10mm & 9mm MP5's. The piston is the only part that is changed when switching calibers.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clicker View Post
    This is incorrect, the lugs are the same it's the muzzle diameter that differs. I run an old GemTech Raptor-40 on both 10mm & 9mm MP5's. The piston is the only part that is changed when switching calibers.
    This is interesting. I too thought the 3 lugs were different. I KNOW the threads are different. I have both a MP5 and MP5/40 but was fortunate enough to be able to find screw on KAC cans for each.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NFATCA Member

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clicker View Post
    Clicker:

I think you are mistaken about the 3 lugs being the same for all pistol caliber MP5's. It's my understanding that HK
    made the 10mm/40 S&W lugs a different size to keep people from inadvertently putting a 9mm suppressor on a 10mm/40 S&W
    weapon using a 3 lug mount to attaché the suppressor.
    Brad4065 likes this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HkCHUCK View Post
    Clicker:

I think you are mistaken about the 3 lugs being the same for all pistol caliber MP5's. It's my understanding that HK
    made the 10mm/40 S&W lugs a different size to keep people from inadvertently putting a 9mm suppressor on a 10mm/40 S&W
    weapon using a 3 lug mount to attaché the suppressor.
    What ^^^^^ said. I just tried my 3 lug 9mm, and it won't even fit over the barrel.
    A redneck's famous last words...."Hey everybody, watch this!"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links