HKPRO Forums banner

Difference between Mp5-N(Navy) and Mp5

8K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  Steelbox44 
#1 · (Edited)
Quick question.. What's the difference between the Mp5-N(Navy) and Mp5? I think i know the answer to this question; but i'm just going to make sure.

#10 ·
From here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_&_Koch_MP5

"
A variant with the last trigger group designated the MP5-N (N—Navy) was developed in 1986 for the United States Navy. This model has a collapsible stock, a tritium-illuminated front sight post and a 225 mm (8.9 in) threaded barrel for use with a stainless steel sound suppressor made by Knight's Armament Company together with quieter subsonic ammunition. It had ambidextrous controls, a straight pistol grip, pictogram markings, and originally had a four-position selector (Safe, Semi-Auto, 3-Round Burst, Full Auto). This was replaced with a similar three-position ambidextrous selector after an improperly-reassembled trigger group spontaneously fired during an exercise. The "Navy"-style ambidextrous trigger group later became standard, replacing the classic "SEF".
"

#11 ·
What is missing from this discussion is that the actual "Navy" variants, delivered to US Navy Seals, German Kampfschwimmer, etc, had a special maritime coating in the weapons and the magazines. The additional thickness of the finish actually required modifications to the production process in order to maintain the same tolerance specifications. Though not a MP5-N variant, there are at least two roller delayed HK's on display in the Gray Room with this finish.

#12 ·
Don’t recall ever reading that (been to the Gray Room five times and never picked up on the finish of those two guns either).

How can the mags be differentiated? I presume there is some sort of chararistic other than just a coloring? It does seem HK went from a “blued” type finish to a painted finish at some point. Don’t know if that had anything to do with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.