HK Sp5k Reliability Question: Barrel change/Suppressor
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: HK Sp5k Reliability Question: Barrel change/Suppressor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default HK Sp5k Reliability Question: Barrel change/Suppressor

Hello everyone, this is my first post, and unsure if this should go in the NFA forum, but I put it here as my first question is:

Will changing the barrel out on an HK SP5k, say with a B&T barrel, with an HK gunsmith, hurt the reliability of the weapon?

I'm seriously considering the Sp5k for home defense, and would prefer to at least have the option to suppress it. I want HK reliability for this role, but am concerned with the impact on reliability when changing the barrel and also putting a suppressor on this changed barrel.

Additionally, does this void the HK warranty?

Thirdly, and just out of curiosity and love of other HK products, would there be any issues with barrel changes and suppressors with the other Roller-lock family (Mp5, HK 91, HK 93)?

Thank you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

On FB lookup HK Ralph Jr. Ask him.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Pretty sure swapping the barrel wil void warranty.

More specific and direct answers to follow by those who know more.....
    FAMILY, faithfulness, compassion, honesty, empathy, trust, hockey, single malt Scotch 21+, Heavy Metal music, German, Irish, Belgian, English bier, what else is there...?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Don't think HK is going to warranty a gun modified with a barrel swap, at least not anything to do with the barrel swap.

Shouldn't effect reliability as long as its down right and the bolt gap is set right. The B&T barrel is a quality one and unless you get one out of spec I don't think you'd notice any difference.

Past that you have a number of smiths on here that do great work. I personally would use tsc machine, pcs, or s&h. Ralph Jr as someone else said has a good reputation but I've never done any business with him so I can't speak to it myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the info, Here is the page on hkparts for the HK Sp5k barrel:

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/MP5K...idCategory=152

What is the difference between 1/2x28 and 1/2 x32 barrels? I've heard B&T makes quality barrels for HK but I'm relatively new to HK's and I welcome any information regarding the Hk Sp5k. BTW I don't have a facebook and don't plan on using fb. Does Ralph have other contacts?

Additionally, can anybody give me a ballpark estimate on the price of a barrel swap? That would help in the budgeting of the purchase.

Thanks
    Last edited by Dandyifyado; 05-19-2019 at 03:14 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

The 1/2x32 barrel is what HK used. 1/2x28 however is far more common in the US for suppressors. Honestly you shouldn't be using the threading either way, ideally you'd attach a suppressor via the 3 lug. TSC charges 350 to swap a barrel. On the sp5k it can usually be done without refinishing the gun although sometimes the smith might need to touchup the finish. On the sp89's no one cared as they would need to refinish the gun after machining out the block to install a paddle mag release. TPM charges like 285. Investment grade firearms was like 600 bucks almost from memory. Not sure what PCS charges.

So expect like 300 to 400 bucks with return shipping from most.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do you suggest going with the hk thread?

I am planning on doing a tri-lug suppressor so does the thread count matter? Also is that what 1/2x32 and 1/2x28 is referring to? Thread count? What does the 1/2 refer to?

If I'm not mistaken, the Sp5k has no need for machining for the paddle release because the paddle release can be easily installed by consumers.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

If you are going to run a 3 lug can I'd personally go with the 1/2x32 as its more clone correct. The latest sp5k's apparently have a bar in them that needs to be cut out to install the paddle mag release. From what I read on here it can be cut out without messing with the finish. Now if you wanted the gun engraved mp5k-n instead of sp5k that would require a refinish.

As far as the paddle mag release install goes most of the smiths will install the drop in if you supply it for cheap with the barrel install(some were doing it for free). Now if they need to cut out the blocking bar it would prob add a cost. Still I'd have the parts and ask whoever you get to do it about them installing it while they have the gun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interesting update on the HkSp5k, as the youtube reviews claim the paddle mag release is an easy, gun-smith free job to be done by the avg. joe. I guess, according to ccosby, it depends if you buy an older run or a younger run of the Sp5k.

By clone correct, do you mean it is more in line with HK standards?

I have no intention of restamping the gun. It's an Hk model and see no reason to rename it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

See this thread here. I haven't seen one personally yet but it shouldn't be a big deal.
    https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-refer...-tutorial.html

If you are not wanting to remark the gun then 1/2x28 might be the best choice for suppressor compatibility if you ever want to use one that isn't a 3 lug. When I say clone correct I'm meaning if you wanted something as close to the mp5k in a semi auto config as possible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links