SEF SEAR ready pack for S&H sear - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: SEF SEAR ready pack for S&H sear

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RossinFL View Post
    I am a little handy with hand tools but don’t have any machine shop type tools. I do have a few unmodified semi packs and several intact unmodified FA packs. I also have a clipped and pinned lower as well as a timed hammer and semi elbow spring. I think I have all the parts required. My thought is to use one of the existing semi pack frames and the appropriate parts to create a sear ready pack. The problem is I don’t know exactly what to remove/grind off from the pack by description. Does anyone have pictures or really detailed description for what needs to be removed and where it is?

Guys, everyone thanks a lot for the advice on both doing it myself and sending it off and help!
    If there is no existing thread on how to prep a pack for a sear I can take some pictures for you this weekend and post them along with instructions.

You certainly don't need a full machine shop to prep an existing semi-auto trigger pack to accept a registered sear. A handheld drill and/or dremel tool that you could pick up from Home Depot would be helpful and certainly speed things up but you could probably accomplish what needs to happen with a hand file if you were so inclined.
    localizer11 likes this.

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Smile

I would not ship my sear anywhere regardless of the amount of insurance. As someone already mentioned, you can take a SEF semi-pack and with your registered sear, simply add the necessary parts. With a SEF semi auto pack, I'm quite certain you're only "mod" is to knock out the pin (screwdriver and small hammer) that prevents the trigger from going back into the full auto position.

In fact, I believe that was the whole intent of selling these registered sears (unlike factory parts) as they were designed to work with the geometry of the semi-packs - and even better with timed hammers:)

Now getting back to my "no shipping mantra": Can you imagine the process???
    *You spend a boatload of $$ on insurance
    *Once lost, you then probably have to fight to collect your $30k, or whatever
    *Now you need to find another sear that hopefully can be purchased with your claim proceeds
    *You start the NFA process all over again

Not me. Luckily, TSC is just down the road, but even with multiple drives or hotel lodging, that is far better than the shipping option.
    AutoLode likes this.
    Semper Fi!
    91A2/93A2 & Gemtech Predator/94A3 (RDTS MP5SD)/94A3 (IGF MP5) & Gemtech Raptor/SP5K/SP89/SP89 (IGF MP5K-N) & Gemtech MK-9K
    270/300/770/USC (Grey) & AAC Ti-Rant/SL8-1 (Grey)
    USP40/VP70Z/P7K3/P7M8/P7M13/HK4(H&R Comm)
    Coharie CA89K .40 S&W/Vector V51(PTR)/Vector V53/Vector V89 .40 S&W & Gemtech Raptor-40/Vector V93/Vector V93(thinking about a 33K:)/PCS 51K .22lr
    MP5/HK33/HK93/G3/HK91/V51 .22 Conversion Kit(s)
    Fleming Sear in 4 position 3 round burst pack

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caf82313 View Post
    If you do ship it I would encourage you to only use USPS Registered. Safest way to ship a MG only way I will ship/receive one. Stays under lock n key whole time and has to be signed and accounted for by each individual who touches the package. UPS/FedEx one of the two not even legal to ship MG the other only insures up to $5k on a MG. Where as USPS you can insure up to 50k. My guess if you were shipping from FL up to TSC who I recommend as well at $50k probably run you around $50-$75 bucks at most.
    That's exactly how I shipped to Mike and crew at TSC and how they sent it back. I've got another project for him but need to sell some conventional guns from my little store first!
    caf82313 likes this.

George from Alaska

HK45T DA/SA
    HK45T Light LEM
    Mark 23 90's era, no lockout
    P30L v3, another on it's way
    P30L Light LEM
    USP .45 Elite
    registered MP5 SEF select fire
    other NFA items

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by viriceman View Post
    I would not ship my sear anywhere regardless of the amount of insurance. As someone already mentioned, you can take a SEF semi-pack and with your registered sear, simply add the necessary parts. With a SEF semi auto pack, I'm quite certain you're only "mod" is to knock out the pin (screwdriver and small hammer) that prevents the trigger from going back into the full auto position.

In fact, I believe that was the whole intent of selling these registered sears (unlike factory parts) as they were designed to work with the geometry of the semi-packs - and even better with timed hammers:)

Now getting back to my "no shipping mantra": Can you imagine the process???
    *You spend a boatload of $$ on insurance
    *Once lost, you then probably have to fight to collect your $30k, or whatever
    *Now you need to find another sear that hopefully can be purchased with your claim proceeds
    *You start the NFA process all over again

Not me. Luckily, TSC is just down the road, but even with multiple drives or hotel lodging, that is far better than the shipping option.
    We all cant be so lucky to live down the Road from Mike

I have Plucked a couple of NFA items out of your backyard how would you like me as a individual get them to my Class 3 dealer in Tx if not shipped? From what I understand nothing shipped Registered has ever been lost or ultimately not found, seems when you make someone sign for something at every exchange/hub it gets taken care of especially when Fed Marshalls/ATF involved imagine that. VS FedEx/UPS packages do not get signed for at every exchange/hub. Shipping USPS Registered is actually quite easy a person just needs the Brown Paper Tape to cover the outside of box.
    Tailflash and Tobrooksto like this.
    HK HK HK HK HK HK HK .. U.S.A Hidden Content

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Thumbs up

Good point. There is no question that on an initial purchase one would almost certainly have to ship. In 2008 my sear came in from CT, if I recall correctly, and I sweated that whole shipping process hour by hour:)

I probably should have been more specific with my mantra and stated that for this particular scenario, I would never ship a sear because the insurance costs and potential headaches far outweigh the effort/expertise of legally modding a SEF semi pack. I wouldn’t do it for burst pack work either. As an FYI, though I have a nice size stamp collection, my sear’s value is well beyond that of my other items which adds to my apprehension.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Registered Mail is the way to go. Six years ago I shipped an unaltered 4-pos burst pack and one of my Fleming sears to Mike Otte this way. The postal clerk raised an eyebrow when I asked for it to be insured for $24K, but obliged regardless. Registered Mail has to be wrapped differently and has to be sealed with paper-backed tape (not plastic shipping tape) so the PO can stamp each and every tape seam and its surrounding paper wrapping (required for tamper proof sealing of all sides/edges/tape seams); a bit overkill IMHO, but I wasn’t about to argue.

I followed my sear from northern Utah to southern Illinois using the special tracking number; took a strange route for some reason and I had a bit of concern when it sat in the sorting center in Chicago for about three days w/o any updates, but the next day showed delivered to Mike. Yes, it cost me $60.75 for this service and the shipping time seems to slow down to a snail’s pace due to the extra tracing processes at each and every transfer/handoff throughout its painfully slow shipment across the nation, but Registered Mail is absolutely secure in every way.
    caf82313 likes this.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caf82313 View Post
    We all cant be so lucky to live down the Road from Mike
    Going to TSC to drop off or pickup something can be interesting. You never know what he will have on his table that he has finished or is working on. One of the last times I was there he was finishing up a G41K off a parts kit and a 93. That thing was pretty cool but I'm sure hella expensive as the g41 parts kits are not common. I was there onetime when a friend of his was picking up some ww2 Japanese pistol that Mike transferred for him.

Really looking forward to going back later this year and picking up a 21k sbr when its form 4 comes back.
    Tobrooksto and caf82313 like this.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Guys, I've done some ready through USPS's shipping rules which are not very clear with respect to something like a registered sear. Does anyone know if a sear qualifies as a handgun (or anything concealable)? If it does, then an individual non-dealer cannot mail it. Instead the mailer needs to be a dealer/manufacturer/etc and must fill out a 'Statement by Shipper of Firearms". I am concerned that USPS would say that an HK sear is a frame or may be readily converted to expel a projectile. If this is the case, then the firearm is concealable and therefore qualifies as a handgun. I have a call into the Post Office but suspect that it will be VERY difficult to get a straight answer. See the following info from USPS;

431.1 Firearm
    The following definitions apply:

Firearm means any device, including a starter gun, which will, or is designed to, or may readily be converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; the frame or receiver of any such weapon; any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or any destructive device;

Firearm frame or receiver is the part of a firearm which provides housing for the hammer, bolt or breechblock, and firing mechanism, and which is usually threaded at its forward portion to receive the barrel. Frames and receivers usually (but not always) include the firearm serial number and are usually considered to be the regulated component of a firearm.

431.2 Handguns
    Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (for example, short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles) are defined as handguns. The following definitions apply:

Handgun (including pistols and revolvers) means any firearm which has a short stock, and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand and subject to 431.1, or a combination of parts from which a handgun can be assembled.

Other firearms capable of being concealed on the person include, but are not limited to, short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles.

432.23 Manufacturers, Dealers, and Importers
    Handguns may also be mailed between licensed manufacturers of firearms, licensed dealers of firearms, and licensed importers of firearms in customary trade shipments, or for repairing or replacing parts.

432.24 Certificate of Manufacturers, Dealers, and Importers
    A federal firearms licensee manufacturer, dealer, or importer need not file the affidavit under 432.22, but must file with the Postmaster a statement on PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms, signed by the mailer that he or she is a licensed manufacturer, dealer, or importer of firearms. The mailer must also state that the parcels containing handguns, or parts and components of handguns under 432.2d, are being mailed in customary trade shipments or contain such articles for repairing or replacing parts, and that to the best of their knowledge the addressees are licensed manufacturers, dealers, or importers of firearms. Registered Mail service is recommended.

Postmasters may forward an unsatisfactory mailer statement to the PCSC for a ruling.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RossinFL View Post
    Guys, I've done some ready through USPS's shipping rules which are not very clear with respect to something like a registered sear. Does anyone know if a sear qualifies as a handgun (or anything concealable)? If it does, then an individual non-dealer cannot mail it. Instead the mailer needs to be a dealer/manufacturer/etc and must fill out a 'Statement by Shipper of Firearms". I am concerned that USPS would say that an HK sear is a frame or may be readily converted to expel a projectile. If this is the case, then the firearm is concealable and therefore qualifies as a handgun. I have a call into the Post Office but suspect that it will be VERY difficult to get a straight answer. See the following info from USPS;

431.1 Firearm
    The following definitions apply:

Firearm means any device, including a starter gun, which will, or is designed to, or may readily be converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; the frame or receiver of any such weapon; any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or any destructive device;

Firearm frame or receiver is the part of a firearm which provides housing for the hammer, bolt or breechblock, and firing mechanism, and which is usually threaded at its forward portion to receive the barrel. Frames and receivers usually (but not always) include the firearm serial number and are usually considered to be the regulated component of a firearm.

431.2 Handguns
    Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (for example, short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles) are defined as handguns. The following definitions apply:

Handgun (including pistols and revolvers) means any firearm which has a short stock, and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand and subject to 431.1, or a combination of parts from which a handgun can be assembled.

Other firearms capable of being concealed on the person include, but are not limited to, short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles.

432.23 Manufacturers, Dealers, and Importers
    Handguns may also be mailed between licensed manufacturers of firearms, licensed dealers of firearms, and licensed importers of firearms in customary trade shipments, or for repairing or replacing parts.

432.24 Certificate of Manufacturers, Dealers, and Importers
    A federal firearms licensee manufacturer, dealer, or importer need not file the affidavit under 432.22, but must file with the Postmaster a statement on PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms, signed by the mailer that he or she is a licensed manufacturer, dealer, or importer of firearms. The mailer must also state that the parcels containing handguns, or parts and components of handguns under 432.2d, are being mailed in customary trade shipments or contain such articles for repairing or replacing parts, and that to the best of their knowledge the addressees are licensed manufacturers, dealers, or importers of firearms. Registered Mail service is recommended.

Postmasters may forward an unsatisfactory mailer statement to the PCSC for a ruling.
    Sears are registered Machine Guns not registered Machine Pistols, your good to go IMO, you could always call ATF for clarification.......................Depending who you are shipping too, prepaid label from them might be an option as well.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Registered mail is how all bullion, Rolex's and other high value items are shipped so $30k to $40k is perfectly normal dollar amounts the postal employee will not be surprised heck I recently did an $80k bullion deal
    caf82313 likes this.
    The Song Remains the Same

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links