Tri Lug suppressed with a thread protector?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Tri Lug suppressed with a thread protector?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Tri Lug suppressed with a thread protector?

When you shoot a tri lug with a suppressor do you leave the thread protector on or off? Does it matter? I ran about 300 rds through mine recently (SP5k) with the thread protector on and it burned the O ring out of my Tirant 45. I’m curious if the thread protector can become a heat sink or potentially cause a baffle strike if it vibrates loose. I’ve shot hundreds of rounds per session through my Mk 23 and 45C without experiencing any problems. Thanks for the help!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes, leave it on. The outer circumference of the muzzle is what keeps the suppressor centered on a 3 lug suppressor.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

What TooBigtoFit said.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

"When the people fear the govt there is tyranny, when the govt fears the people there is liberty."
    Thomas Jefferson
    GOA Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes leave it on. Some replace the knurled protector with a smooth one to avoid abrasion with the inside of the 3 lug mount. I have recently gone that direction. Needed or not, the smooth thread protector works slick with my new Gemtech multimount...

Tailflash likes this.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nuge View Post
    Yes leave it on. Some replace the knurled protector with a smooth one to avoid abrasion with the inside of the 3 lug mount. I have recently gone that direction. Needed or not, the smooth thread protector works slick with my new Gemtech multimount...

Where did you get yours? I tried one but the tolerances didn't allow my suppressor to slide on an more
    HK VP9, P2000SK 9mm, P2000 9mm, 45c, USP 45 SS (sold), P30L, Mark 23 & PCS 9
    "A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ― Edward R. Murrow

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djeuch View Post
    Where did you get yours? I tried one but the tolerances didn't allow my suppressor to slide on an more
    Some thread protectors are not spec (0.5900 +/- 0.0005). Too wide and they just won't fit or tear up the adapter sleeve... Too narrow and will have wobble and poor alignment. And I think the concern about the case where the TP is in spec, but knurled, is the chance of abrasive action with recoil over time and loss of alignment.

My smooth protectors were made by Mark at TROS USA. I believe that he used to supply them to Gemtech back when they required them in order to warranty their product for use with threaded 3-lug adapters. Had to verify with him the dimensions and the thread pitch of course ahead of the build. He did a great job and I am pleased with them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Just an update, I’m digging through my new suppressor manual (GSL Phoenix which is an updated Gemtech MK9K) and it specifies “ The Phoenix suppressor should never be mounted over the knurled thread protector. Failure to switch over to the properly sized, smooth thread protector can result in damage to the suppressor”. It shot awesome with the thread protector off and shooting with subs was incredible. I can’t seem to find the smooth thread protectors on the web site and I was curious if anyone wanted to sell me one or point me in the right direction. Thanks for the info BTW.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What is your thread pitch? Here is the contact info for TROSUSA: https://trosusa.com/contact-2/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Thanks Nuge, half by 28.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How about these from Gemtech?

https://www.gemtech.com/thread-protector.html

Never mind. OOS.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links