Mr556 to 10.5 sbr.

Thread: Mr556 to 10.5 sbr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Mr556 to 10.5 sbr.

bought the mr. I just sent off for my tax stamp. I want to build a 10.5 sbr. It is my first rifle and im not sure what I am supposed to buy for the conversion. Do i get the whole conversion kit w gas block exe? What does everyone think about running the 9" w a flashhider? I reall know nothing about rifles. Opinions welcome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So digging through the 4k posts on the 416 forum i see options and problems. So here are few questions.

If i chop the barrel do i need to change out the gb, or should I, since im messing with the overall pressure.

Do i have to buy the 416 upper to make an sbr?

Do i need to change out the bolt carrier group for either the chopped or 416 upper conversion?

If some one could just list what i need to go sbr i can handle the rest. Hk parts is currently sold out but I woukdnt know what to get anyway. Their verbage is all the same.

911TT

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I have a chopped 10.4" barrel and no issues using the vented MR556 gb, both suppressed and non-suppressed.
    You don't need 416 upper to make it an sbr nor do you need a different BCG.

Bottomline is if you want a 10.4" barrel and register it as an SBR, just chop it.
    Last edited by hkduder; 07-22-2019 at 03:36 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

You can also try to order a 10.4” barrel from Nefarious Arms, search for them on Pro. There is a thread in the Premium section under potential business opportunities regard them. They are now doing a run of 416 clone barrels (chrome lined).

Typically if you use a 14.5”-16” Gas Block, which standard on the MR556, on a 10.4” barrel you need to open the barrel port to 1.9mm (IIRC) in order to achieve optimal cycling in both suppressed and unsuppressed modes.

No one has ever really provided a good range report on the HKParts made barrel kits so YMMV.

I will say, for a rookie to the rifle world you certainly are jumping right into the deep end.

I’ll pass on some advice I received from a fellow member when I re-entered the firearms world after a 17 year hiatus, take it slow, do your homework before buying anything. It will save you a ton of money. The short and sweet of it, be methodical as this HK stuff is expensive and you can easily get carried away.
    Last edited by RegularGuy461969; 07-22-2019 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Grammar/clarification
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn’t mean they're not after you!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks to both of you. I dont know how to respond directly.. Its all kinda confusing. I might just chop and rethread. Outside of that drill work will the 416 clone drop in my mr 556? It has the key holes instead of quad rail but i do like the look of geiselle or whatever modular.

Im pretty sure they tell you not to jump in the shallow end though. I just want to build out quality weapons that i can train with.

My goal is a folding stock sbr that i can drag around w me. I just started ahopping optics.

Sheepdog in West Texas

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

HKpew30,

Welcome to the best HK forum on the web. To contact anyone directly you need to have a minimum 6 posts OR pick up our premium membership. Best $30 I spend every year. Love the information and the camaraderie. Worth every penny and with it you get access to the premium part of the forum. There are a few sub forums that the premium membership gives you access to .

Again welcome to the HK ENABLERS forum. Once you find what you are looking for in a rifle, we love pics. Please share them with us once you get there.
    Protect and defend against all enemies, both foreign and domestic

A rattlesnake in the living room ends all discussion of animal rights.

"Vengeance is mine" sayeth the Lord, but sometimes he subcontracts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I might do that. Gotta get the ninja sub forums for sure. Ill post pics of the stock 556 once my p30 gets here from APO. Should be this week!!!!

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HKpew30 View Post
    Outside of that drill work will the 416 clone drop in my mr 556? It has the key holes instead of quad rail but i do like the look of geiselle or whatever modular.

Im pretty sure they tell you not to jump in the shallow end though.
    No, you don’t dive into the shallow end, jumping feet first is quite alright;-)

But I’m confused by your question regarding the clone barrels; are you talking about the HKParts set or the Nefarious Arms barrels now in production?

I believe the HKParts is ready to install kit with everything you need.

The NA barrels will require gas block and barrel nut. Last week I was able to get 2 barrel nuts from Hurricane Butterfly at a reasonable price. But I believe their supply in dwindling. I could not find them anywhere else.

If you do the work or have someone else do it, make sure a mandrel/reaction rod is used. It holds the barrel by locking into the extension. I know someone who has sheered off the index pin of a 416 barrel by using a vice block. These things are made to use the mandrel/reaction rod and the torque required to remove a barrel is extreme on the upper and the barrel. By using the mandrel/reaction rod you keep that torque centered on the upper.
    Last edited by RegularGuy461969; 07-24-2019 at 01:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Couple things changed so far
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mr556 to 10.5 sbr.-20190727_162522_1564259776904.jpg  

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HKpew30 View Post
    So digging through the 4k posts on the 416 forum i see options and problems. So here are few questions.

If i chop the barrel do i need to change out the gb, or should I, since im messing with the overall pressure.

Do i have to buy the 416 upper to make an sbr?

Do i need to change out the bolt carrier group for either the chopped or 416 upper conversion?

If some one could just list what i need to go sbr i can handle the rest. Hk parts is currently sold out but I woukdnt know what to get anyway. Their verbage is all the same.
    Your best bet.....purchase an HK416 Upper...., 10.4", complete, and you'll be good to go.

Aside from that, you're going to be throwing spit balls at all your problems.

ETA: And it doesn't matter if you're shooting suppressed WITH or WITHOUT a vented gas block.

Ask me why I know {several thousand rounds later}………………………..just sayin.
    Last edited by Brad4065; 07-28-2019 at 01:51 AM.
    A redneck's famous last words...."Hey everybody, watch this!"

Sponsored Links