Omega SD SBR questions - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 15 of 15
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Omega SD SBR questions

  1. #11
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    flybynt's Avatar
    Join Date : Dec 2007
    Location : AZ
    Posts : 2,489
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MSOGDAWG View Post
    So I wanna SBR my Omega SD receiver. Thing is it uses a PK barrel under the SD shroud cage. When I do my efile my measurments are going to look wack....meaning my stated barrel length will be way shorter than OAL. Think this will cause an issue with the examiner thinking its a typo? Also do I use from the end of the shroud cage back to where the buttstock will be fully extended....as in dont measure my suppressor because its not permanently attached. I have lotsa NFA items and experience with stamp collecting but I wanna ask because I may be over thinking this one. Anybody SBR one of these that can relay what you did form wise?
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    OAL is measured with stock fully open, end to end. Dont over think it.
    /\/\/\/\ This

    I followed this for my AR 9mm SBR.
    The barrel I used was shorter than the shroud/handguard in order to cover my suppressor when used on the the gun.

    If it should ever some to it, I have been told by SOTs and ATF agent that in order to verify barrel length, barrel length would be measured with with a rod inserted from the muzzle of the barrel on a empty closed chamber, marked where it protrudes at the muzzle, then extracted and measured. The reason for this is due to have a consistent way to measure only the barrel length due to differences in barrel mounting systems, extensions etc. I am not a lawyer, ATF agent, or have any LEO affiliation. I did my due diligence to the level that suited me, and so should you. At the very least I would call and ask your local ATF office for their take on this.

    The form specifically asks for a barrel length and an overall length for a reason.
    MSOGDAWG likes this.
    Thomas Jefferson -
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    "Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    BARRETT9660's Avatar
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Posts : 42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flybynt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MSOGDAWG View Post
    So I wanna SBR my Omega SD receiver. Thing is it uses a PK barrel under the SD shroud cage. When I do my efile my measurments are going to look wack....meaning my stated barrel length will be way shorter than OAL. Think this will cause an issue with the examiner thinking its a typo? Also do I use from the end of the shroud cage back to where the buttstock will be fully extended....as in dont measure my suppressor because its not permanently attached. I have lotsa NFA items and experience with stamp collecting but I wanna ask because I may be over thinking this one. Anybody SBR one of these that can relay what you did form wise?
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    OAL is measured with stock fully open, end to end. Dont over think it.
    /\/\/\/\ This

    I followed this for my AR 9mm SBR.
    The barrel I used was shorter than the shroud/handguard in order to cover my suppressor when used on the the gun.

    If it should ever some to it, I have been told by SOTs and ATF agent that in order to verify barrel length, barrel length would be measured with with a rod inserted from the muzzle of the barrel on a empty closed chamber, marked where it protrudes at the muzzle, then extracted and measured. The reason for this is due to have a consistent way to measure only the barrel length due to differences in barrel mounting systems, extensions etc. I am not a lawyer, ATF agent, or have any LEO affiliation. I did my due diligence to the level that suited me, and so should you. At the very least I would call and ask your local ATF office for their take on this.

    The form specifically asks for a barrel length and an overall length for a reason.
    Yeah true but same could be said with other class 3 items. Figured id ask😁
    MSOGDAWG likes this.

  3. #13
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    flybynt's Avatar
    Join Date : Dec 2007
    Location : AZ
    Posts : 2,489
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BARRETT9660 View Post
    Yeah true but same could be said with other class 3 items. Figured id ask��
    Maybe so and see your point, but braces are items that have NOT had federal taxes paid specifically in order to own them, a built in waiting period due to the nature of the NFA process in order to procure and possess them, as well as extensive vetting of the applicant.

    Not to mention many owners of NFA items are affluent, have FU money, and would certainly challenge this in court in a heartbeat. Were this to happen you could count on a full on gun grab/confiscation plan and proposal not far behind.
    Last edited by flybynt; 08-15-2019 at 04:11 AM.
    MSOGDAWG likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    Premium Professional
    MSOGDAWG's Avatar
    Join Date : Dec 2009
    Location : TEXAS BY GOD
    Posts : 588
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Default

    I have mulled over the brace route for a while now. I have some thoughts on the "brace going away" as well, but my motivation is not really based on that so much as it is trying to retain an authentic look. I also am aware of the closed bolt wooden dowel measurement and actually planned on using that method to measure. My issue is the barrel length being shorter than the OAL and a nit picky examiner kicking it back thinking it is a typo, but I guess I cant really do anything about that unless or until they do kick it back and I then submit documentation to help them understand. I wondered if there was anyone else who measured and how they did it out of curiosity and potentially using the method they describe. More so wondering if anyone had done this and how NFA examiner reacted or if they even took notice, but I do capitulate that each examiner is different (as frustrating as that is). Thanks to all for your suggestions and input so far....still open to any and all that may still be out there.

    EJ
    UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS 0311/8152 - TX AIR GUARD SECURITY FORCES CATM
    Hidden Content

  6. #15
    HKPRO Professional

    Join Date : Jul 2008
    Posts : 119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MSOGDAWG View Post
    My issue is the barrel length being shorter than the OAL and a nit picky examiner kicking it back thinking it is a typo, but I guess I cant really do anything about that unless or until they do kick it back and I then submit documentation to help them understand. I wondered if there was anyone else who measured and how they did it out of curiosity and potentially using the method they describe.

    EJ
    The barrel length should be shorter than the overall length, otherwise it just doesn't make sense. On your Form 1 there is a box for barrel length and another box for overall length. The barrel length is included in your overall length.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links

 
 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •