Fellow HK DLO German Trigger Pack Owners - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Fellow HK DLO German Trigger Pack Owners

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Just goes to show you, don't go back in the shop after an evening of scotch.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Machineguntony View Post
    Wait a minute...that’s one of my old pics from FB.

Yes, it is legit. I got it straight from Doug Offinger.

I’ll get SilencerShop to pull the F3/4 from when they received it.

It was for sale like 3 years ago. This is not a recent thing.
    Hey Tony, just an FYI...I let the Dealer know it was yours and that it was likely a scam so he could be aware and avoid future scams. Dealer said yes he knew it was yours, and that the person that contacted them to consign it was a well known dealer/broker working on your behalf to sell it. So as of this morning the Dealer thought you were really trying to sell it and still unaware of a problem. Just wanted you to know. feel free to PM me for more info.

So it seems that the scammer not only used your 3 yr old for sale pics, but dropped your name and that of another dealer/broker to try to perpetuate the fraud.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I’ll make a few phone calls and get to the bottom of things.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

So I spoke to someone involved and it has been cleared up.

This is NOT a scam but a misunderstanding between the parties.

The list of guns is no longer active.

Dealer A was the exclusive dealer on the list. I guess Dealer A forgot or failed to inform Dealer B.

Parties have been notified.

In the future, the list may go active again, but it is currently not active.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caf82313 View Post
    I think this is a very important picture and I suspect shows a DLO pack "in the wild" as it would have appeared right after conversion. Knowing the history of Doug's packs, he brought in a batch of full-auto packs from Europe, and I believe they come in configured with the smooth (no finger grooves) SEF plastic lowers. I base this on plastic bags of segregated FCGs and lowers he provided to some folks. I also suspect he started these conversions in 1980, based on the 8019 start of the serial numbers. Doug has always been very, very careful not to disclose how many he made, and he is a super-smart guy who has been asked the "how many" question by legions of fellow gun nuts. He did remark to me once that he had a .50 cal ammo can full at one point (or may he said cans...I wasn't sure) and I have always intended to measure a pack and a .50 ammo can to try and figure out how many packs could fit in one can.

Looking at this "vitamin" picture, I bet that he did some conversions, and then likely set them aside for production as needed. When the dark days of 1986 approach, he pulls them out of the ammo can (or cans...) cuts them to fit a shelf, and electo-pencil engraves them -- thus he has complete conversions. I then suspect that over time -- as needed or time permits -- he pulled the frames from the can, and parkerized and re-engraved them to produce what most folks recognize as a finished DLO pack. He has/had an engraving machine, but I don't think he roll marked anything (at least I haven't seen roll marks and didn't see a roll-marking setup in his shop). Anything that looks like a roll mark would likely be from punches. Doug held on to all his manufacturer tickets and licenses for years and years after '86, so as the original manufacturer I don't think there would have been any issue with him refinishing and adding deeper markings of the original information contained on the registration forms. All a bunch of speculation, but fits the observed fact pattern. The one mystery for me is why he had two series of markings, the "M58" and the straight "8019." Wild speculation on this aspect of the packs is welcome.

Finally, before Doug delivered a pack he tested it for fit on an HK 94 he had in the shop. He sold this 94 in the last couple of years, so I suspect he has test-fitted every pack he has (or had) and sold the 94 as redundant.
    Last edited by GPSIG; 08-22-2019 at 02:14 PM.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GPSIG View Post
    ...The one mystery for me is why he had two series of markings, the "M58" and the straight "8019." Wild speculation on this aspect of the packs is welcome...
    Wow, that is some great info right there, thanks GP! That answers the engraving issue for me. After seeing Tony's engraving I looked at mine and too determined it was not a roll mark. Under a magnifying glass it looked like a heat source made the finished-looking engraving. You can see start and stop points of melt/circles/etc.

As for the two s/n strings....I might have some input. I cannot find it now but I read someplace that at one point Doug made the MAG58/M240 sideplates. The poster was either speculating or had heard that Doug used the same serial# string from that product line into the HK Trigger Frame product. It kind of makes sense but still doesn't answer why a change. But if you are correct about 1980...maybe when 1980 came around Doug decided to make a change in the s/n to better delineate the two product lines and thus started the 8019 nomenclature. What would be interesting to know is did he make the MAG58/M240 plates before 1980, and which s/n came first...the M58 or 8019. We can probably never know.
    caf82313 likes this.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Default Fellow HK DLO German Trigger Pack Owners

Doug did make MAG58 side plates but I don’t think he ever advertised them for sale and there weren’t a large number. Interesting to think these could be related to the HK packs.

Back in 86 you won’t have been printing registration paperwork off the internet. I wonder if he might have had some partially filled paperwork and applied it to HK boxes rather than MAG58 side plates for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by GPSIG; 08-22-2019 at 03:15 PM.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Just curious...

At the time, did the ATF inspect all the S/Ns submitted on paper equated to all the lower housings on hand, or could someone just have sent ATF a list of serial numbers to meet the May 86 cutoff/deadline? Not saying anyone would do such a (clever) thing... Did SOT 07 manufacturers have to pay any tax up front for such conversions back then?
    Brad4065 likes this.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tailflash View Post
    Just curious...

At the time, did the ATF inspect all the S/Ns submitted on paper equated to all the lower housings on hand, or could someone just have sent ATF a list of serial numbers to meet the May 86 cutoff/deadline? Not saying anyone would do such a (clever) thing... Did SOT 07 manufacturers have to pay any tax up front for such conversions back then?
    When the ‘86 cutoff hit, I understand ATF sent out agents to inspect items that were not quite complete. Stories that some manufacturers were doing things like, for MAC10/11s manufacturers were taking a sheet of steel and before the cutoff, stamping serial numbers at just the right locations, then after the cut off, were cutting the steel into individual flats for bending and welding later. ATF did not allow that approach.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SudS View Post
    When the ‘86 cutoff hit, I understand ATF sent out agents to inspect items that were not quite complete. Stories that some manufacturers were doing things like, for MAC10/11s manufacturers were taking a sheet of steel and before the cutoff, stamping serial numbers at just the right locations, then after the cut off, were cutting the steel into individual flats for bending and welding later. ATF did not allow that approach.
    I have heard same thing but that ATF did allow, talked with a couple of Mfg's on West Coast and one guy said he was "Papering" pretty much anything he could turn into something at later date, I had always heard like you but he contradicted that.......JS
    HK HK HK HK HK HK HK .. U.S.A Hidden Content

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links