Fellow HK DLO German Trigger Pack Owners - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Fellow HK DLO German Trigger Pack Owners

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Freehand DLO Marked Packs

Quote Originally Posted by TallPine View Post
    Good point...all the ones Ive seen always has the s/n on the opposite side of the location engraving. This one has all info on the same side. Hmmmm
    My DLO pack is engraved neatly on both sides, but the story I heard was that towards the ban deadline Doug had anyone he could get hand engraving serial numbers on the packs to get them registered under the deadline. In addition there was a story about his partner recently finding a box of these hand inscribed packs that had fallen thru the cracks! These were the last packs sold rumor has it. Can't confirm any of this, just what I heard.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caf82313 View Post
    I have heard same thing but that ATF did allow, talked with a couple of Mfg's on West Coast and one guy said he was "Papering" pretty much anything he could turn into something at later date, I had always heard like you but he contradicted that.......JS
    That was over 30 years ago, so difficult for any of us to confirm much of this. Donít know if the 80% rule was around then, or maybe thatís were it came from. Then again, not every agent may have given exactly the same instructions. Pretty sure I read that in a Small Arms Review, or possibly Machine Gun News.
    caf82313 likes this.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GPSIG View Post
    Doug did make MAG58 side plates but I donít think he ever advertised them for sale...
    He did advertise at least one for sale. A few years back, he advertised a unbuilt DLO 240 side plate for sale. I called within the hour of seeing it for sale and ended up fourth in line. I even offered Doug more for the side plate, but he said he already made a deal for it. Gotta respect a man like that.

Bob Landies of OOW ended up working on the side plate and made it perfectly conform to 240 specs.

I still canít believe I missed out on that side plate.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interesting thread.

I'd only seen machine engraved packs before.
    Glad someone was able to confirm they had received a
    hand-engraved pack directly from Doug!

WRT the MAG58 plate on SubGuns
    I think everybody who saw that ad more than an hour after it was posted didn't even bother to call...
    We knew it was loooong gone...

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    HK HK HK HK HK HK HK .. U.S.A Hidden Content

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You guys might find this SAR interview with DLO interesting...

DLO MANUFACTURING PRODUCTION NUMBERS
    By Dan Shea

DLO Manufacturing Production Numbers

Fails to mention a lot of known items such as: HK packs, Mag58s, etc...

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Unfortunately I have never seen an article on Doug that really captures his knowledge, personality, and willingness educate NFA newbies. At his heart he is a car guy, which includes a love of mechanical things, especially cool/complex/unusual mechanical items. As a young guy this drew him to the early NFA crowd that was all about making Grandpa’s old war souvenirs roar into action. With a million guys doing cars and machining tolerances low, a guy like Doug distinguished himself on the “gun mechanical” side by doing good work and figuring out how to solve problems. He also had an interest in travel, so going to Europe to connect with firearm surplus guys was right up his alley. Before long he has some unique pipelines of NFA stuff coming to him and he was producing a very wide rang of guns as he “solved” the problems with getting each type into production in way that made business sense at that time, i.e. when the guns were cheap and the stamps were expensive. Then the 1986 ban rolls out and Doug spends a ton of money and time fighting it. Many of his contemporaries thought the fight pointless, but if you go read his legal cases they are excellent. He loses his livelihood, but I suspect pretty quickly figures out his exceptional amount of grandfathered inventory is going to give him some business options. With the passage of time he goes from doing okay to owning a fortune in NFA items. And how did he feel about that? He HATED it! He thought it was capricious and deeply unfair (and actually unlawful) to have a guy like him luck out and everyone else get stuck paying a fortune for a sten or AK. He would love nothing better than to waive the wand, have the Hughes amendment disappear, and go back to the good old days when NFA was a hobby open to middle class shooters. He also has an amazing depth of knowledge about NFA law and has corrected pretty much anything and everything I thought I knew, which isn’t surprising because I don’t know much. Doug knows the basis of the laws, regulations, and interpretations because he lived through it all as his business and can often give many examples related to what a regulation or policy really controls. His thinking is organized differently, and in one example he politely tolerated me saying guns were “on a form x” and finally said that thinking wasn’t helpful, stop focusing on the gun, and focus on the means of transfer – that was what the form numbers were for. He also pointed out that the guns aren’t regulated, the transfers are so if I wanted to get smarter on NFA I needed to learn more about the transfer processes. I think insights like this let him figure out how to acquire and produce in series such a wide range of NFA guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by GPSIG; 02-02-2020 at 07:12 AM.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

^what a great history, thanks for posting.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I know the markings on mine are Doug's markings. Spoke with him directly for a while before he agreed to sell one to me. Very interesting fellow with numerous stories to tell. Should have bought five at the time instead of just one.
    Woulda should coulda - the first time I ever saw or even knew what an HK sear was (or that machineguns were even possible to be owned by civilians), they were $4,000. I started saving any extra income I could, by the time I bought one, they were $10,000.
    Hidden Content

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Sponsored Links