22 Conversion Kit Questions
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 22 Conversion Kit Questions

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default 22 Conversion Kit Questions

I tried posting a question about the 22 conversion kit in the long gun section, but got zero responses. I figured I'd try asking in the NFA section. After all the reason I'm interested is to have a fully automatic 22, once my registered sear gets out of NFA jail.

I've got 2 more or less hypothetical questions. I say hypothetical because I don't think anyone has any direct experience with this. I'm actually asking for educated guesses, although direct experience is absolutely welcome.

1. If someone were to get a 93 converted to take AR mags, would the 33/93 22 conversion kit work with the plethora of 22 AR mags? I've had really good luck with the black dog 50 round drums in my AR, and would love to use them with an automatic 93 22. In my mind, if the 223 ammo lines up with the bolt, theoretically the 22 ammo should line up as well. I have not seen one of the 22 kits in person though. In theory if this works, it would solve the major issue of these kits: the small capacity and general lack of availability of the mags.

2. If someone were to get a 93 in 300 bo (like the Brethren Arms B300), could they use a combination of the 91 and 93 22 conversion kits to have a functional firearm ? Basically I'm thinking use the 93 bolt and the 91 barrel sleeve. Obviously I'm kind of a newb, but are the dimensions of the receivers of the 91 and 93 similar enough that the 91 barrel sleeve would work in a 93 receiver with a .30 cal barrel? It'd be much cheaper to buy a 91 kit then to have 2 separate rifles.

Obviously my ideal firearm would be something like the B300 that takes AR mags, so I could have cheap and abundant ar mags, and have a functional 22 that also takes cheap abundant ar mags. I personally like the 300 bo, because I have a 30 yard pistol/carbine range at my house and prefer the subsonic 300 bo, because of the close range and subsonic 300 bo is SO much cheaper than subsonic 223.

What do you say ? Complete pipe dream or theoretically possible ?

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The biggest obstacle is finding a 93 22LR kit. I've seen them out there, but if memory serves they are in the neighborhood of 2 grand, about the same cost as a good 93 clone. That's a lot of cheese for a 22 kit, but it is an option. If you want to feed 22LR mags through a 93 type host gun and you can get your hands on the 93 conversion kit, then it seems that an SW93AR / SW53AR type gun as manufactured by Coharie / Special Weapons / Black Market Parts and maybe others MIGHT work. The 93/AR guns were made so clone lovers could use the mountains of AR mags we own, rather than having to buy expensive 93 mags.

So 93AR + 93 22LR kit + 22LR AR mags = maybe. If you love to tinker sounds fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You'll probably have better luck creating a reliable platform by picking up a G3 / G3K clone and a matching 22 kit for that gun. I went the G3K route and just cut a bit off the 22 barrel sleeve so it doesn't stick out past the end of the shorter barrel. I think you could get in for around $1500 for the gun and $500 for the 22 kit. There was a thread here the other day about a G3 mag well adapter that works with inexpensive ~$10 22 mags. Both are available now and this would be probably half the cost of the 93 option.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfyr View Post
    The biggest obstacle is finding a 93 22LR kit.
    One hurdle https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Germ...it-8p17401.htm

There are deals to be had as well https://www.gunbroker.com/item/805974938
    Last edited by caf82313; 08-31-2019 at 03:51 PM.
    HK HK HK HK HK HK HK .. U.S.A Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yea, I got the idea when I saw the Moore Dynamics 33kAR on gunbroker. I have since found that brethren arms also offers the mag conversion service on most clones. So that should be a relatively easy piece of the puzzle. They have the 93 22 kit for sale at hkparts in stock, although I've definitely seen them cheaper on GB. Theoretically everything should be easy to gather up, if not super expensive.

Are you talking about the uzi mag conversion ? Or is there something else out there I haven't seen ?

It's definitely an expensive project, but for a guy who already loves 22, being able to blow through a relatively easy to load 50 round drum is super appealing. Plus I've already got a bunch of the drums (I put an echo trigger in the little CMMG 22, and it is a blast). If I thought there was a chance I could find one of those american 180 drum adapters, I'd probably just go that route.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, I think it was the Uzi mag conversion I saw.

Maybe post a WTB add for an American drum adapter? I'm sure there are a bunch in the wild. Should be a fun project and I wish you well. Keep us in the loop on how it goes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caf82313 View Post
    That GB list was a smoking deal for whoever got it. Cool!
    caf82313 likes this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DonMagicJuan View Post
    Yea, I got the idea when I saw the Moore Dynamics 33kAR on gunbroker. I have since found that brethren arms also offers the mag conversion service on most clones. So that should be a relatively easy piece of the puzzle. They have the 93 22 kit for sale at hkparts in stock, although I've definitely seen them cheaper on GB. Theoretically everything should be easy to gather up, if not super expensive.

Are you talking about the uzi mag conversion ? Or is there something else out there I haven't seen ?

It's definitely an expensive project, but for a guy who already loves 22, being able to blow through a relatively easy to load 50 round drum is super appealing. Plus I've already got a bunch of the drums (I put an echo trigger in the little CMMG 22, and it is a blast). If I thought there was a chance I could find one of those american 180 drum adapters, I'd probably just go that route.
    The 300BLK route is a whole other ball of wax, though. The 91 kit won't fit in a 93. The bolt head and carrier dimensions are different, and the chamber area of the 7.62x51 will be different than the 300BLK. So, you'd need a 91 kit and have to get the inner barrel machined to fit a 300BLK 93 profile. Then you'd need the 93 kit for the carrier and bolt. And hope that the firing pin lines up with the rim after all the weirdness.
    Own: HK91, SR9, SP5k, G36k, HK416, P30L, 2x P8, 2x P8A1, USP9, USP9 FDE
    Future: SP5 inbound

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I was afraid using 300 bo was going to be a long shot.

I guess the only question left is will a modified 93 and a 93 conversion kit function properly.

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DonMagicJuan View Post
    I was afraid using 300 bo was going to be a long shot.

I guess the only question left is will a modified 93 and a 93 conversion kit function properly.
    I’d say you would do a lot better with a “modified” 91 and 91 conversion. I’ve spent a lot of time with these animals and if you are going to mod any kit, it is best to mess with the G3 or 91 kit. I’ve had great success with standard mags in full-auto and am still fiddling with my drum adaptor and the black dog machine set-up. My 33/93 and MP5 kits work fantastic but you have only one magazine option for each. I did look at using the AR .22 mags at one point, but just never did seem to get things to line up. I even got the plastic 93 mags and tried to cut/fabricate them to fit inserts like the Uzi/BDM set-up, but it just became one frustrating effort after another. When I retire next year I’ll put forth some serious effort😁
    Semper Fi!
    91A2/93A2 & Gemtech Predator/94A3 (RDTS MP5SD)/94A3 (IGF MP5) & Gemtech Raptor/SP5K/SP89/SP89 (IGF MP5K-N) & Gemtech MK-9K
    270/300/770/USC (Grey) & AAC Ti-Rant/SL8-1 (Grey)
    USP40/VP70Z/P7K3/P7M8/P7M13/HK4(H&R Comm)
    Coharie CA89K .40 S&W/Vector V51(PTR)/Vector V53/Vector V89 .40 S&W & Gemtech Raptor-40/Vector V93/Vector V93(thinking about a 33K:)/PCS 51K .22lr
    MP5/HK33/HK93/G3/HK91/V51 .22 Conversion Kit(s)
    Fleming Sear in 4 position 3 round burst pack

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links