Is the Zenith Z43P a poor choice for a sear host?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Is the Zenith Z43P a poor choice for a sear host?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Is the Zenith Z43P a poor choice for a sear host?

I am looking for a 5.56 host for a Fleming sear and have found a Zenith Z43P in my state for a fair price . Researching the pistol I found conflicting opinions about whether the sear would fit without alterations and if the alterations are legal . I do not wish to reinvent the wheel nor even approach any alterations that are questionable . It also seems the Z43P has some proprietary parts ,available only from MKE .That really scares me . Should I walk away from this pistol ?

Thanks Unclebear

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by unclebear View Post
    Should I walk away from this pistol ?

Thanks Unclebear
    Quote Originally Posted by unclebear View Post
    Should I walk away from this pistol ?

Thanks Unclebear
    I would. Zenith has chosen a different system for prevention of full auto conversion. My limited understanding is that before the full auto carrier block at the rear of the receiver is removed, a wrap around semiautomatic shelf must be welded onto the Zenith reciever. With the cutting and welding required for the conversion I would also have the reciever refinished. You would also need the semiautomatic carrier welded up and profiled to full auto specs or buy a full auto spec carrier. Unless you can do that work yourself I am guessing that the bill for that work would be at least $600+ range. If the price is low enough that the additional $600+ is cost effective, go for it. Other wise I would buy a clone in the HK style of conversion with a full auto carrier. Lots of this stuff has been gone over many times. Please use the search function and read up on your questions. If you need clarification then ask the board. YMMV.

Scott

Teufelshund Tactical
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)

No. Zenith weapons are forbidden by BATFE ruling from being used as sear hosts.
    SF,

James

Heckler and Koch Certified Armorer (Heckler and Koch)
    Heckler and Koch Pistol, Submachine Gun and Rifle Instructor (Singleton International)

Owner, Teufelshund Tactical

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Thank you James for the clarification. You are certainly the man that would know.

Scott

Supporting Vendor

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marine0303 View Post
    No. Zenith weapons are forbidden by BATFE ruling from being used as sear hosts.
    Might want to clarify that.
    I would like to see the ruling on that please.
    MM
    rickj1nd likes this.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)

Don’t know if this has anything to do with anything, but if the gun is SBR’ed, isn’t it potentially a new gun? Same ruling applies?

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SudS View Post
    Don’t know if this has anything to do with anything, but if the gun is SBR’ed, isn’t it potentially a new gun? Same ruling applies?
    Could you please explain how a Title I firearm being reconfigured into a Title II firearm would be a "new gun". It is my understanding that whether Title I or Title II configuration, the item continues to be by definition a firearm. A rifle with a barrel length less than 16" is more regulated than a rifle with a barrel length 16" or greater. But the rifle remains a firearm.

Scott

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scottinthegrove View Post
    Could you please explain how a Title I firearm being reconfigured into a Title II firearm would be a "new gun". It is my understanding that whether Title I or Title II configuration, the item continues to be by definition a firearm. A rifle with a barrel length less than 16" is more regulated than a rifle with a barrel length 16" or greater. But the rifle remains a firearm.

Scott
    The same premise that if you take a 93 and build it into an HK53, 922(r) applies for US parts. Two different things?

Teufelshund Tactical
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hk21man View Post
    Might want to clarify that.
    I would like to see the ruling on that please.
    MM
    I don't work there anymore, but the response from BATFE stated that removing the rear receiver block in Zenith weapons was deemed to make the receiver into a machine-gun. That's fine for LE/MIL use, but for those who cannot own a post-86 machine-gun, it is a no go.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SudS View Post
    The same premise that if you take a 93 and build it into an HK53, 922(r) applies for US parts. Two different things?
    As I posted above, my understanding is it is a change in configuration not creation of new. In your example the receiver never ceases to be a firearm. If filing a Form 1 the original serial number is used because the reciever remains intact. In the same example, if a barrel extension is added the firearm can be removed from the NFA registry and transferred as a Title I firearm. But because it is a firearm, that firearm is still regulated under the GCA of '68.

As I recall with the original HK semi shelf design, when installing a paddle mag release lever, the hole for the shaft that the lever would rotate on was not to be drilled all the way through both sides of the receiver. Even though the paddle mag conversion shaft is smaller, the hole all the way through was considered converting the receiver to a machinegun. So the hole in the Zenith reciever is allowed because of the semiautomatic only carrier block in the back of the receiver.

Scott

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links